No announcement yet.

Mini Amp Craze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Men who buy Jacksons don't care about pissing people off..fuggums.

We pudslap our significant others into oblivion and they like it...they love it!

You'll never be a "Rock Star" with that attitude young man..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
      Yeh I own the 50W version and play at home, at all hours, through two Marshall greenback cabs, all the time and it just kills. I must have cool neighbors because I turn up pretty loud and never had a complaint.

Exactly, I A/B my 2205 and 2210..and the 2210 sounded more "full bodied"...a bit more low end even at bedroom levels. That's why I hunted down another 2210. I used those until I bought my Marshall rack when it came out..around '96. Still have the same Marshall cabs tho..

Man, both of those heads were perfectly mint..I'd wish I kept 'em. Everyone one into building racks at that time..now heads came back full circle.

great amps..and having cool neighbors goes a long way. Lots of noise coming from here man..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Many of you guys get my thread. Many of you aren't getting it at all!
        The amp manufacturers have you guys thinking that a mini version of a Recto or a tiny this or micro that or mini this or that are better suited for home/bedroom use rather than the full size version. I claim thats BULLCRAP.
        They just want to sell you another amp.
        You don't need a Carvin V3M if you have a V3. A V3 sounds perfectly fine at bedroom levels. It also looks cooler and you can take it to the gig and not look like a "metro-shredder".
        Maybe somebody will come out with an Apple I-phone amp that you can plug into a power amp. They can develop a little cabinet you can sit it in so you can put it on your speaker cabinet. This way you can take phone calls, update your friggin Facebook and play the gig all at the same time.
        My point is real rock dudes and dudettes have real full size amps when they play live. There are hundreds of small 1 x 10 or 1 x 12 combo's that you can play through at home. Mesa should be ashamed coming out with a Mini Recto. I am waiting for Marshall to come out with the Tiny-Plexi.
        They should have made the Randy Rhoads signature Mini Marshall. It would have been more appropriate considering Randy was so small.
        How about a mini Marshall Malmsteen model. They can call it the Triple M. The cool thing about it is when you first buy it its tiny and as the years go by it gets bigger and bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          I am waiting for Marshall to come out with the Tiny-Plexi.
          Uhm, actually Marshall started this "Craze" in the 80's with the micro-stack.

Comment

Originally posted by Evol View Post
            Uhm, actually Marshall started this "Craze" in the 80's with the micro-stack.
            Good point. I forgot about that crappy piece of Marshall marketing horsecrap. It was easily forgettable.

The only mini amp that I think is legit is the THD Univalve because its more like a testing amp for the player who likes to swap out tubes.
            My point in this thread is I just think they look dumb on top of a 4 x 12 and I think they are a fad or craze. Just like the Drop D tuna, that horible Floyd Rose speed loader, and all that other crap that has come and gone. How many guys do think actually kept their Epiphone mini whatever you call them amps or that Crate Powerblock amp. Personally, I think that Crate Powerblock was a very cool idea. The problem was it looked GAY and you could take it to the gig in your backpack (or your Archies Lunchbox). Thats just not rock and roll fellas.

Comment

Hey Bill, you gotta be lovin this thread. This is old school JCF. Sometimes a big boy needs to step up and tell em whats up.
              Let me qualify!!!
              I am 50. I have been playing metal since I was 16 in bands. I have never not been in a band since I was 16. I had a gig this Saturday and the club had the largest attendance in 30 years. The club holds around 125 and we had 125 who paid at the door and we figure at least another 30 that got in without paying. Club owner threw us a very nice bonus on top of the door. We played metal all night and I killed bugs dead with my playing. Uli would have been proud. I know my shit so listen you turds.. get a full size amp and stop pussifying yourselves with lunchbox sized 5 watt amps. Do you drive one of those Smartcars? Nope. Do you know why? Because they look like canned ass. Sure, 40mpg sounds cool, they are cheap and a very smart choice for transportation. You just need to close your eyes when you are walking towards the car. Those cars should come with clown feet and red noses. Thats how I feel about mini/micro/nano/tiny amps.
              Take that you JCF'rs. You know I love you guys and girls.... especially the girls.
              I may be 50 but I ain't dead yet.

Comment

What about combos? Are they inherently ghey because they are smaller physically than a stack?

IMO it doesn't matter what the "box" you are playing through looks like as long as it sounds good. You can be like Yngwie or Van Halen and have walls of speakers up on stage as props but at the end of the day those guys are miking a cab and pushing air through the PA system.

I mean I guess this meets your approval because he's playing full size heads, but yeah those cabs are a little easier to haul around than 1960B's...

Last edited by Hellbat; 10-24-2011, 03:20 PM.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

You don't need a Carvin V3M if you have a V3. A V3 sounds perfectly fine at bedroom levels. It also looks cooler and you can take it to the gig and not look like a "metro-shredder".
                  I've already got a V3, but I also want a V3M! I love the look of mini amps, though.

I've also got a THD Univalve head that's awesome for trying out any power amp tube (plus any two preamp tubes), and lately I've been loving it with either a KT66 or KT88 and using it as a bass amp.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How about a mini Marshall Malmsteen model. They can call it the Triple M. The cool thing about it is when you first buy it its tiny and as the years go by it gets bigger and bigger.
                    Smartcars? Because they look like canned ass. Sure, 40mpg sounds cool, they are cheap and a very smart choice for transportation. You just need to close your eyes when you are walking towards the car. Those cars should come with clown feet and red noses.
                    (or your Archies Lunchbox). Thats just not rock and roll fellas.
                    KOMEDY!!!!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nigel Tufnel got this amp thing down.

check it.

watch the whole video and see the "wall" of marshalls. watch the entire video before you make your judgment ......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbvs2bE35hU
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Rudy perked my interest about Zvex Nano. I never heard of it..pretty cool. You can start here..Jeez, it's small >>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U9ylAeSvDY
                        Yeah, its actually a cool little amp. The more you turn it up the more it distorts, in a good way. Meant for recording. Its very simple and doesn't even have an on/off switch. You plug in the power cord, it turns on. I picked up mine used just to try out and mess around with
                        BTW Bill, on an unrelated note, did you happen to make it to Peabody's last Sunday night for the Firewind show? Wretch was one of the 4 bands opening for them. I should have thought about contacting you before the show to see if you were going.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

[QUOTE=jgcable;1465711]They should have made the Randy Rhoads signature Mini Marshall. It would have been more appropriate considering Randy was so small.

Nah, even Randy with his small physical size knew you need a few 100w non-master volume Marshall full stacks. He did it up right
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

These lunchbox amps really work well for me in certain situations. The vast majority of the time, when I plug into an amp I am getting ready to rock a goddamn arena. I've really got to have my 5000w Marshall quinquaginta-stack behind me (translated for you quadruple-stack playing sissies, that's 50 cabs). However, I do like to practice when I am on my private jet flying between, well, more arenas (not that I need to). In the cabin of the private jet is where mini-amps really shine. I've got 110V outlets, so there's no need for a battery-powered amp (guys who play those are the REAL pussies). However, if I were to try to fit a 4x12 in the cabin, there would be less room for beer, liquor, and groupies in there. So, do the math.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              These lunchbox amps really work well for me in certain situations. The vast majority of the time, when I plug into an amp I am getting ready to rock a goddamn arena. I've really got to have my 5000w Marshall quinquaginta-stack behind me (translated for you quadruple-stack playing sissies, that's 50 cabs). However, I do like to practice when I am on my private jet flying between, well, more arenas (not that I need to). In the cabin of the private jet is where mini-amps really shine. I've got 110V outlets, so there's no need for a battery-powered amp (guys who play those are the REAL pussies). However, if I were to try to fit a 4x12 in the cabin, there would be less room for beer, liquor, and groupies in there. So, do the math.
                              +1

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

axey, you da man!

Last edited by tonemonster; 10-24-2011, 07:37 PM.
                                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                                X