Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Suggestions please!

Hi everyone!

I have a budget of £600 ($1,000) to get a new amp. I play at home only so something small (1x12) is the perfect size. I play an ESP M-II (with Duncan JB/'59 p-ups) and an Ibanez RG-2610E (Duncan Full Shred p-up). I use no effects but use plenty of gain for a full-on rock/metal sound (playing in a similar style to Vai, Metallica etc). Features are not that important so long as I get a good sound that can gives clarity even when gain is high. I am happy to consider second-hand amps.

I have been using a Peavey Envoy since 1990 so my amp knowledge is limited and any advice is gratefully received!

Buy and old teal stripe Peavey Bandit 112 (sheffield or scorpion - your choice) for about $250 and save the rest for beer or other viable pursuit.

Perfect for bedroom use.

Just my 2c.

Comment

Consider a Peavey Valve King 112.

Comment

i've been checking out the jet city jca20h with the 20lb hammer mod. sounds pretty bad ass to me.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJ-ffCKTLY

Comment

6505+ combo \m/
          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Don't forget old Marshalls. They made combos too. Not high gain in and of themselves but can be with a boost. My personal favorite.

Comment

Thanks guys. Both Peavey suggestions look great and I will research the Marshall options. A dealer near me has some ex-demo Jet City JCA12S 1x12" cabs (with one year warranty) going cheap. So I could get the JCA20h and one of these cabs for £400 ($600). Only question would be if this cab works well with the head and if a small head/cab would be too loud for home use only...

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                6505+ combo \m/
                ..this
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by 1994 View Post
                  Only question would be if this cab works well with the head and if a small head/cab would be too loud for home use only...
                  my big stage rig is at my band's rehearsal area, so at home i use an egnater tweaker 15 head with a rivera 2x10 cab. it can be pretty loud, it can be pretty quiet. the same goes for whatever you are looking at in this thread. if you want "quiet" go with a line 6 amp. they can get pretty good sounds, plus they rock with headphones.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Right, I am going for an Egnater Tweaker 15W head with 1x12" cab. Very excited about having my first valve amp!

Comment

you should be quite happy. i love mine.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X