X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: VHT Special 6 Ultra combo

New amp day for Tone.

I got a VHT Special 6 ultra Combo.

I have played it 2 nights now, and its great. I paid $300 shipped for it, new. It has a 5 yr warranty. Its very well built. now, I know everyone is going to bash it cuz its built in china, but the build quality is very damn good especially when you consider the price point. I mean I paid $275 for this beast. and keep in mind, its HAND WIRED!!! No pcb's!!!!!!! its all hand wired, the pots, switches, etc... all feel high quality, nothing cheesey. the cab is nice too. and there is a cool appearance factor to the speaker, the speaker is chrome and you can see it thru the screen in back of the cab.

now, for the tone. its got it. I mean its GOT it. nice overdriven tones. kind of a driven marshall esque tone. I would put it kinda in the JCM800 ballpark. no its not a clone, but its in that general ballpark. its a one channel amp, but it has a low gain input and a high gain input, so its like 2 channels, but its not foot switchable. and if you think a 6 watt amp dont have any power......you are very mistaken. this little bugger can get really loud when cranked. so its very capable of gigging. but the beauty is the awesome tone it gets at lower volumes, thats where it really shines. If your a low volume player, this amp is for you. Its got the goods.

Bottom line, GREAT VALUE. its a no brainer. go try one out, and I bet you buy it on the spot. for $300 its just a no brainer, I mean its a hand wired tube amp with great tone and a quality build. The naysayers can bash all they want, I dont care, this little beast delivers. big time. Go buy one, you wont be sorry.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

What the hell is going on??? nobody has run out and bought one of these yet? I didnt post this here for my health!!!!!!!!!

Comment

i was considering the head version. how reactive is the tone control? how are the low gain sounds? i am sort of wondering if it is a bit like a hot-rodded 5E3 fender deluxe circuit. the price is right but i would like to be able to try one out. if it IS like a hot-rodded fender tweed circuit, then i'd be all over it because that is the only type of amp i don't have yet....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
        and keep in mind, its HAND WIRED!!! No pcb's!!!!!!! its all hand wired
        Yeah, hand wired by 8 year old kids probably.

Does it have an F/X loop?
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
          Yeah, hand wired by 8 year old kids probably.

Does it have an F/X loop?
          yes, it does have an F/X loop.

hey, the labor is cheap there, that is what makes the amp cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            i was considering the head version. how reactive is the tone control? how are the low gain sounds? ..
            The tone control is pretty damn good for only one knob. but......it also has a "texture" switch that changes the tone a bit by taking some of the highs out. and it has a depth control to define the low end tones. so you have some tools to get the tone your looking for. as for low gain sounds, its pretty good. It shines more on the high gain stuff, but for dirty blues and that style, oh yea, its got plenty to keep you happy. the clean tones are there, but the focus is on the gain tones.

an ohm selector for the cabs, speaker jacks for extension cabs.

Comment

I love you. I love VHT..that's an amazing bang for the buck!!

who cares if 3 year old squid babies wired it..fuggums.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                I love you. I love VHT..that's an amazing bang for the buck!!

who cares if 3 year old squid babies wired it..fuggums.
                Hey, if you can train those 3 yr old squid babies to shit in a potty chair, you can teach them to operate a soldering iron.

if you can teach them to color in between the lines, you can teach them point to point wiring.

These are facts.

Comment

OK. here is the deal.

I had 2 of my guitar pals come over to try this amp tonight.

both of them were totally impressed. they couldnt believe it.

one of them made me email the store info to him on the spot cuz he was going home to order one tonight.

that shit cracked me up!!!! the other one was still very impressed, and was going to put one on his christmas list.

they were floored at the quality of construction. plywood cab, no particle board crap. quality switches, pots, etc.....

they couldnt get over the tone & quality for the price. its great value.

Go try one of these beasts......... you wont be sorry!!!!

Comment

I'd like give them a chance, hell iPhones and iPads are made in China so whats the big deal. Good price and good tone is a win-in. It doesnt cost an arm and a leg and at 6 watts could be a perfect bedroom low volume recording amp.

Having said that nothing to muddy up the waters than selling the name VHT. Steve made VHT we all know and love ;P http://sfdamp.com/
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

yea, its not the same VHT as it used to be. but, that being said, this amp is one hell of a value. I was amazed that one of my buddies was going to order one today. and this guy is used to higher end amps. so it was impressive that he thought that much of it.

so even if its a "new" VHT as a company, if they are going to put out quality stuff like this, they are doing the name proper justice. to be quite frank, I am looking forward to see where they go next with their ideas and product line.

Comment

Labor is and ought to be cheap. Fuck the unions. Good to see good gear at an affordable price.

Comment

Working...
                        X