Randall RM22 - New Amp Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall RM22 - New Amp Day!

Well, after much advice and many different recommendations (thanks, all!) for a new small/mid-sized amp, I decided to get a Randall MTS series. I initially went with an RM50, but eventually decided that was too big for what I wanted with this one. So I downsized to an RM22, instead.

I've got to say that I've really become sold on the whole Randall switchable module schtick. I know it's been around for a while, but it's new to me. It freakin' rocks for a cool balance of all-tube design and tone flexibility, without some of the compromises you may see with an all-in-one design.

So far, I've picked up the Blackface, Mr Scary, and SL+ modules, and I'm digging them all. Thinking of getting another one, leaning towards adding a more modern high-gain tone - maybe the Treadplate (Mesa) XTC (Bogner), or Ultra XL. I'll probably circle back and get another clean module after that, maybe a Deluxe. I've also got a Carvin 2x12 cab with Celestion V30s on order to go with this. Anyway, here she is.

I don't see the pic :think:
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Weird, it's showing up fine for me. :think:

Comment

Pic works now. Does like . Does it have a send/return loop?
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yes, a series effects loop. My GT10 will going through there. Footswitchable individual boosts for each channel, too. Even cooler is that each boost has a gain & level, so you can set both how much dirtier and louder you want each channel to go up.

Comment

I dig the MTS series. Have an RM50 combo and head. Amazon had the RM22 for $475 fully loaded with two modules a couple months ago. I almost bought one.

Comment

The idea of buidling amps in this modular way is awesome. I haven't tried one, though. Somebody said something about them not being made anymore, is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                Amazon had the RM22 for $475 fully loaded with two modules a couple months ago. I almost bought one.
                Yikes, that would be a steal!

Originally posted by javert View Post
                Somebody said something about them not being made anymore, is that true?
                No, not true at all. Randall was acquired by US Music Corp (Washburn, Parker, Warwick, etc) a while ago, so there were a bunch of goofy rumors around the time of that takeover.

Comment

congrats! They look to be a great grab-and-go head. Just need a carry bag for all your modules.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

"Look at this, a nice portable amp with modular preamps that I can take to gigs without a hassle"

-"Looks nice. What's that big flightcase in the truck?"

"My 54 modules"

"There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Congrats on your new amp! Get ready for the module madness. MTS owner here with 2 RM100s a RM20 head and an RM20 combo. The options the MTS system allows for is unreal. Want a new amp just get a new module.
                      RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                      CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                      Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                      Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Originally posted by spencer4hire View Post
                        Congrats on your new amp! Get ready for the module madness. MTS owner here with 2 RM100s a RM20 head and an RM20 combo. The options the MTS system allows for is unreal. Want a new amp just get a new module.
                        I agree. Been playing an RM100 live for almost 4 years now. Incredible amp. The modules are amazing.

Comment

Yeah, I can already see a path where an RM100 might eventually replace my JSX. Going to live with the RM22 for a few months before I commit to anything like that, though.

Comment

I have a Randall RT50C. I use the serial return port for my GT-10 too.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

I don't see how I'll ever need another amp. My RM100 and whatever module I feel at the moment is all I'll ever need. I have a KH-1, 1086, JF Ultra/XL, and a JF 59RR MKII on the way. Livin' the dream!! Have you tried an EQ in the loop? I liked it before, then put in my M-108... Thought I was going to need the wet wipes for a bit.. lol. Also, I do notice a big difference in what pickups I play through mine. EMG's really shine in this where I wasn't as impressed with them in other amps. Have fun with it!
                              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                              X