Cygnus 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cygnus 7

I had the wonderful opportunity to spend a good bit of time yesterday with Cygnus X1, as well as his awesome amp, the Cygnus 7. It utilizes 2 12AX7 preamp tubes, and just about whatever power tube (1) that you can fit in the socket. Power output varies depending on the tube, between 4-12 watts (correct me if I'm wrong Kevin)

I can't stress how smooth this amp is. The cleans are more than just crystal clean. There's a certain warmth reminiscent of some earlier Carvin amps I've played. Honestly, if you don't like the clean tone, it's probably because you can't play worth a shit, and aren't used to hearing yourself.

Having 2 gain knobs is awesome. It give you control over more tonal possibilities. Adding some gain, and cranking the master, gives a great fat and warm crunch, with full clarity.

Twisting the gain knobs and master volume a bit more, immediately engulfed me in a HUGE overdriven torrent of classic Rock N' Roll. Think AC/DC, but tonally superior.

Diming the gain and master, felt much more at home for myself. The Cygnus 7 has a ballsy snarl to it. I'd compare the gain to Metallicas Kill Em All, but I wouldn't dare to try and dial in that disgusting tone. All the while, it still retains the same clarity as before. What's truly amazing is how well it cleans up with the guitars volume knob. Words can't describe it, that bell-like chime I had heard earlier was back.

The tone stacks are phenomenal. There is no frequency bleed over, no matter the volume or gain. My biggest make or break, is the mid control. In the case of the Cygnus 7, it was placed perfectly in the frequency spectrum. There's no such thing as too little or too much mids with this amp. Nor is there any want for more or less. There is no "dialing in" with this amp. It sounds great with every knob everywhere. It just depends on what you're in the mood for.

You can swap out power tubes, without having to bias. This is great for me. I know my way around a circuit, with many years experience with electronics, but I'm lazy when I get home from work. First I played with a 6k6 power tube. It had early breakup, but still plenty of headroom for cleans. Later the 6k6 was replaced with a 6l6. That increased the power output considerably, thus pushing the headroom even more. With both tubes, the tone stack still behaved the same.

This is an extraordinary amplifier. I can't herald it enough. It's a true boutique amp. And having seen under the hood of several amps, and considering my extensive background in electronics manufacturing, I can say these amps are top quality in craftsmanship as well.

But that's not the end of the impressive list of even more impressive features. If you don't like the mid focus, or want another gain stage, just say so. Kevin (Cygnus X1) is as awesome as his amps.

In closing, the Cygnus 7 is awesome. You will definitely be hearing me touting my Cygnus 7-to-be in the near future.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Nice review.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thank you B!

Matching with the right cab helps.
      We had it connected to a stock Peavey block logo 5150 slant 4x12.
      Would sound great with a 1960A as well or any number of 2x12's.

Great to have you and your friend here.
      He got hooked on the "Hells Bells" tone, that might be the one that does it.

Comment

Well...damn.
        *Snore*

Should have recorded something...no wait...
        I know I blew more leads than a cheap....*cough* hooker.

But I did get a great microphone, need to get that going!

Thanks for the great write up.
        Can I quote you?

Comment

You most certainly can!

Next time I'll bring some of my mics, and my bitchin' Presonus rig, and we'll get some good sample cranked out.
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Working...
          X