Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"rediscovering" your amp. anyone have this experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "rediscovering" your amp. anyone have this experience?

OK so I have 6 amps.

1 is just a portable practice amp, Mesa F30 for jamming at a friends, party, rehearsal, etc...

but my main rigs are:

Bogner Shiva reverb combo 1x12 EL34 (new style)

Mesa/Boogie Road King combo with 2x12 extension cab added.

Splawn Quick Rod half stack

Marshall JMP1 Marshall EL34 50/50 power amp rack setup

Laney AOR 30 combo 1x12

Here is something I enjoy about all them. I get hooked on one for a while..... then I go back to the one I havent played in a while and its like buying a new amp. you forget all those little nuances and charateristics that make it what it is, and you get to "rediscover" it all over again. I frickin LOVE this!!! Its so damn much fun. I just stick with one amp for a few weeks, then move to the next.......and right thru the line. its a frickin blast. I played thru the road king today, I had so damn much fun. you just bathe in sonic goodness. learn how you missed it, and why you enjoy the amp so much. then you play it until it gets "stale" and you move on to another and repeat the process.

anyone else here do this?????
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

so I am the only person this happens to???

Comment

I get a similar thing by occasionally trying out my one amp with the gain at less than 10, or maybe even using the clean mode .
      My other signature says something funny

Comment

I get the same feeling by just plugging into the same amp every time - my Soldano SLO. After almost six years, it still gives me chills when I first turn it on and hit those first
        notes -- almost like my brain can't quite remember the complexity of the harmonic goodness, the liquid gain dynamics.

Comment

I don't have an amp. Yet.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Occasionally. Main problem being that once I'm "done" with an amp, I sell it. I'm getting a Mesa Boogie Mk IV (hopefully) tomorrow though, and was thinking about selling my Chupacabra to help displace some cost. The more I think about it, the less likely I am to do that, so in about 6 months, I'll let you know!

Actually, when I was doing modelers, I'd put one away for a while, and then come back to it, and yeah, I get what you're saying.

Comment

I have a friend that has owned alot of high end gear. he buys and sells, and trades. he dont get too attached to stuff, and plays them for a few years, then moves on. he said he feels its a great way to experience alot of cool gear. he could never afford to keep all of them, so he keeps moving on to different stuff and enjoys the process. never in a hurry to get or get rid of anything....just waits for the right opportunity to come along.

My problem is, once i get a real cool amp, I cant let it go. I cant buy em all. a guy has to eat and heat his house too ya know.

Comment

I'm like that with guitars, but less so with amps. I've been real happy with my DSL100, I can get a wide range of tones from it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I'm like that with guitars, but less so with amps. I've been real happy with my DSL100, I can get a wide range of tones from it.
                  Me too, except with a TSL100.

Comment

I've been using my ADA MP-1 a lot less in the past few weeks, and using my 1101 more. When I go back to my MP-1 patches, they're harsh and bright and buzzy. If I stick with that for a while, the 1101 sounds farty and weak.

However, I also run them split left and right in the mixer going into my computer, so one gives the scream and the other gives the kick. Makes for a very thick sound that neither one alone can give.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I sort of rediscovered my amp a bit recently after hooking up my pedal board. I was playing straight in with no effects at all and it sounds good, but add my 10 band eq and BBE sonic stomp and it's like a whole different beast.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm that way.. but when I get bored I just turn the knob from Mesa to Bogner to Marshall to Fender to Engl...well.. you get the point. I LOVE the POD HD500.

That being said.. one day I will own a SLO-100.... one day.

Comment

Bought back a Peavey 6505 a few months ago (I had a 5150 a few years back). Since I got that new 6505 I've been wondering why I had sold the 5150 previously.

I got a DSL50 and a Traynor combo too. I go into those phase of "rediscovering" my gear. Same could be applied to FX. Just adding some phaser to your amp's sound can be a fun experience... Or delay, chorus... You see my point.

Tone appreciation is like tasting food! Try different flavors. Add some spices here and there
                          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

amps.

Comment

Its not an amp, but Ive been having fun getting reacquainted with my DKMGTFF after months of it sitting out due to the Kelly and the Alvarez and its output jack.
                              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                              X