Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New VOX Tonelab EX. Anyone seen one yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VOX Tonelab EX. Anyone seen one yet?

Has anyone seen one of the new Tonelab EX units in person yet? I guess it started out as a Japan release, but I'm thinking they should have hit the stores here somewhere by now.
    I've been anxiously waiting to try one of these since I picked up the ST back in September. I love the ST, it's really made me re-think my opinion of modeling units, but it's more geared for studio and is not stage friendly at all. From the looks of the EX, it's a vast improvement with bank switching and an optional stompbox mode.
    Anyway, I've seen them available online, but I have yet to see one in a store, or talk to someone who's actually tried one so I thought I'd do some fishing around on here to see if someone had an opinion.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

How is the ST? Ive been on the fence about picking one up.

Is it high gain? Quiet? Are the tones actually usable? Etc, etc etc ....

Comment

Originally posted by Brozz View Post
      How is the ST? Ive been on the fence about picking one up.

Is it high gain? Quiet? Are the tones actually usable? Etc, etc etc ....
      Yes Yes and Yes. The ST is awesome. The tube overdrive tones are some of the best I've heard in a unit like this. I took a few of the patches that were already there and all I really had to do was tweak them just slightly for my usage, I don't use a lot of effects, but I can attest to the Delay and the Vox wah effects as being top notch as well. and I've heard no indication of noise either. Like I said before, the only issue I have is the switching. It's basically a step up/down unit so it makes changing patches live on the fly a bit of a pain, but from what I've seen of the EX that's been addressed with adding bank swtches. a good usable tap delay would be helpful as well, but I think that was addressed as well.
      Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

The only noise I`ve come across was from the single coils in my old Strat with high gain... The ST has a noise reduction device on it but I`ve never had enough noise from it to have to use it. I`ve never had any noise using humbuckers and high gain settings...

The ST has more shit on it than I`ll ever know how to use but I never have to look to far to find a great tone and I`m always plugging into it!

If I was in need of the EX and had the funds I`d just go ahead and order one.

Comment

Sounds good !!

Ill only be using the unit in my home studio, so the tone switching wont be an issue for me.
          Thanks for the info .. I'll be headed to the store this week to plug in and take one for a test drive.

Comment

Finally grabbed a Tonelab ST, and Im kinda on the fence about how much I like it .. heres why.

First off, the hi-gain sound is the best I have found in an inexpensive preamp. In some ways, its actually better than my old reliable MP-1.
            However, it also tends to make anything I plug into it sound the same. Theres little tonal difference (through the TL) between my RR1 and my Asian import Strat. But, I guess thats to be expected with modelers.

The effects are ok, and the pedal sims are especially good. Though IMO all the effects are very limited to how much you can edit them. Again, not a bad thing, especially considering the price of the unit.

Now the part I really dont like ... the clean tones. God awful, period. I havent found a single one I like, and adding effects make it even more "sterile" sounding.

Overall not a bad unit, very convenient for bedroom practicing / recording.

Comment

Bought an ST for my father recently, and it's fine for what it it. Really easy to use, and doesn't sound terrible, and can also be used as a USB interface. The modeling is not at the same level as the newest computer based solutions to my ears though. Guitar Rig 4 or Amplitube 3 sounds noticeably better in my opinion. But it depends on if you wanna use a computer every time you play with headphones (I don't mind it) or not. For live use I would get a more advanced floor based solution if I was to use digital amp modeling.

Comment

Working...
              X