vintage traynor tube amps, 60's - early 70's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage traynor tube amps, 60's - early 70's

anybody have any experience with vintage traynors? i am looking for a new vintage amp, and these seem priced pretty good compared to blackface fender amps. i am pretty much a fender amp guy (i even consider my rivera amps to be a little more "hot rod" fender than "hot rod" marshall).

i was looking at grabbing a mid 70's twin reverb, but they are priced a little high - i could get a reissue blackface for less. i want to change up my sound for a while. i want a nice, clean, powerful vintage amp that i can run with a few pedals in front along with my strat.

i already have a vintage fender tremolux that i could use, but it is a bit of a museum piece, so i am looking for an alternative. the traynors seem cool. can anybody tell me about them from experience?
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Originally posted by markD View Post
    anybody have any experience with vintage traynors?
    No.
    i am looking for a new vintage amp, and these seem priced pretty good compared to blackface fender amps.
    Isn't everything?
    i am pretty much a fender amp guy (i even consider my rivera amps to be a little more "hot rod" fender than "hot rod" marshall).

i was looking at grabbing a mid 70's twin reverb, but they are priced a little high - i could get a reissue blackface for less. i want to change up my sound for a while. i want a nice, clean, powerful vintage amp that i can run with a few pedals in front along with my strat.
    That doesn't sound Metal.
    i already have a vintage fender tremolux that i could use, but it is a bit of a museum piece, so i am looking for an alternative. the traynors seem cool. can anybody tell me about them from experience?
    Other than taking your man card away, I can tell you I've read good things about Traynor amps. They supposed to be built really solid and reliable. Supposed to be good platforms for tweaking. And they are Canadian. And they were on "How It's Made" but that was for building brand new amps. That's about all I know of them.

Comment

ok. thanks for that little bit. anyone else?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

I've played some yba/yga models and they definitely have that fender vibe going. I can attest to the build quality, absolutely rock solid and some of the best built units out there. Most old ones, like many vintage amps, need cap jobs and 3 wire grounded ac lines installed which drives up the price somewhat. If you can get them cheap in good shape you might save some money. Another good twin-like amp to look for is the Music Man HD series, great amps. Since you mentioned Rivera, the amp that is closest to that fender tone right now, to my ears anyway, is the Venus 3.

Comment

Ycv 80
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

thanks for the suggestions. mj, i have 3 rivera amps already. they DO do the fender thing great. the musicman HD amps, aren't those hybrid, with a SS preamp and a tube power section?

sevser, i am looking for something vintage. i have enough modern amps. i am specifically looking to move away from amps with more than a few knobs. i don't want channel switching or even anything made after 1975. my riveras would cover that ground perfectly. i am digging the sound of my tremolux with a couple pedals tossed in front. i don't want to gig with it because it is exceptionally rare (blackface with white/gold), and 100% original (2 prong plug, etc.), so, i am looking for a suitable replacement for gigging.

i started a new side-band that is a blues/surf/space-rock/psychadelic thing. we are a power trio, and the whole vibe is hawkwind/uli roth/hendrix with a bit of mountain thrown in there. i am using fuzz boxes, analog delays, univibes and spring reverb boxes. i will probably just end up getting a silverface twin or another silverface fender. i am still curious about the traynor or any other VINTAGE amp that is similar.
            GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

No "Axe FX" or modeler love? LOL!

I know nothing about Traynors. but it's hard to imagine any decent vintage tube amp being economical.

Comment

Working...
              X