modeler tone comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modeler tone comparison

So I've been playing around with modelers again and have started adding impulse response files into the mix. Here is a file with 4 different setups of a jcm 800. I used the same amp settings as well as speaker and mic choice in all of them so I could hear how the products sound different, I actually expected them to sound closer to one another. Which do you like best? I've listened to it too many times and my brain has turned into oatmeal.

http://homepage.mac.com/mjtrepanier/music/jcm800.mp3

I like the crunch of 1 & 2. 2 sounds like a slightly boosted 1.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I just realized I forgot to say what they were:
      1 = pod farm 2 jcm 800 with the vintage 30 cab and a close on axis sm57
      2 = pod farm 2 jcm 800 with an IR for a vintage 30 and a close on axis sm57
      3 = guitar rig jcm 800 with the vintage 30 cab and close on axis sm57
      4 = guitar rig jcm 800 with an IR for a vintage 30 and a close on axis sm57

No other efx were enabled and the cab/mic modeling on 2 and 4 were disabled. The amp settings on all of them are master and gain on 10, bass/treble/presence on 7, and mid on 4.
      Last edited by mjtripper; 10-07-2010, 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Well, none of them sound like a JCM 800, that's for sure. Favorite of those was probably #3.
        Scott

Comment

I used those tone settings because I thought that was a classic jcm type setup. #2 and #4 sound similar to me but there are definitely 3-4 different tones there. I think I might redo it this weekend with a tube screamer in front of each one.

Comment

i liked them most in this order, 2,4,1,3. also 3+4 sound like the recording is distorted a little, i think a tubescreamer might really help though.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, based on that I tried it again with a cleaner signal, made a few tweaks, and added a couple modelers. I don't have my notes handy but the fourth one is the second preset on the Rammfire addon for Guitar Rig with no adjustments. I also added some from Studio Devil in there somewhere. I'll post the entire list when I get back to my notes. Any and all feedback appreciated.

http://homepage.mac.com/mjtrepanier/music/test2.mp3

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                Thanks for the feedback, based on that I tried it again with a cleaner signal, made a few tweaks, and added a couple modelers. I don't have my notes handy but the fourth one is the second preset on the Rammfire addon for Guitar Rig with no adjustments. I also added some from Studio Devil in there somewhere. I'll post the entire list when I get back to my notes. Any and all feedback appreciated.

http://homepage.mac.com/mjtrepanier/music/test2.mp3
                I liked #1 the most.
                Scott

Comment

Here is what the various clips are:

1 rivera k-tre with a sennheiser e906 mic and saffire pro pre
                  2 rivera k-tre with a sm57 mic and saffire pro pre
                  3 rivera k-tre line out with a T75 IR
                  4 Preset #2 from NI Rammfire in Guitar Rig 4
                  5 Studio Devil BVC preset 1
                  6 pod farm 2 jcm 800 with the vintage 30 cab and a close on axis sm57
                  7 pod farm 2 jcm 800 with an IR for a vintage 30 and a close on axis sm57
                  8 guitar rig jcm 800 with the vintage 30 cab and close on axis sm57
                  9 guitar rig jcm 800 with an IR for a vintage 30 and a close on axis sm57

Comment

6-8 sounded like angry bees to me. I thought you were using some fuzzbox plugin.
                    Scott

Comment

I'll double check the pod farm settings but I think it's still just the amp model. As I add more tones to the test I'm liking the pod farm tones less and less. I've been playing with the studio devil amp pro plugin now and I really like it so far. I wanted to mic up the rivera and get it on the list since that's my main amp and could use it for a point of comparison, it sounds vastly different in person though, still working on that.

Comment

Listening to them again on my crappy headphones at work, I like #2 the best, then #5, then #4. 6-8 still sound horrible, and the line-out from the Tre is not working. Maybe it's a bad IR?
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X