My amp took a shit today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My amp took a shit today

I was going to play the Mesa Mark III today. I had is warming up and when flipped the switch from standby to on, all I heard was the the speakers make a hiss or sizzle noise for a few seconds and then the amp fan turned off and that was it. My amp is dead now. I just hope that is not the transformer. I have a black dot so it has the same transformer that the Mark IIC+ has, and that could be hard to find another one.

Rant over.

If it smells burnt its probably the transformer. If it doesn't smell try changing the power tubes.

Comment

That sucks, sorry to hear. Are those transformers propietary to Mesa? I wouldn't think it would be too hard, or too expensive, to find a good replacement for them if not.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
        That sucks, sorry to hear. Are those transformers propietary to Mesa? I wouldn't think it would be too hard, or too expensive, to find a good replacement for them if not.
        I have the Mesa 105 transformer in the III. They are a hard to find transformer. Changing to different style transformer will completely change the characteristics of the amp.
        mesamarkiiisn1557408_1985015.jpg

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        If it smells burnt its probably the transformer. If it doesn't smell try changing the power tubes.
        It doesent smell burnt, but I did try new power tubes and there was no change.

Comment

Check fuses too. The fuse is designed to go so that the transformer(s) won't. If a tube arcs it will take out a fuse, so be prepared to replace both.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Check fuses too. The fuse is designed to go so that the transformer(s) won't. If a tube arcs it will take out a fuse, so be prepared to replace both.
            I just checked the fuse, it did blow. So, do I need to replace the power amp tubes the preamp tubes or both?

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
              I just checked the fuse, it did blow. So, do I need to replace the power amp tubes the preamp tubes or both?
              I know what you mean about replacing output transformers. Supposedly there are high quality replacements available for say, Marshall and Fender, idk about Mesa...but I'd want to keep it original too.

I had a Mk III years ago, and I remember blowing the main fuse. I just replaced it and it was fine. It may be foolhardy to suggest doing that...something made the current jump high enough to take it out. Speakers? Possibly a brown out? Old refridgerators or large electrical motors on your circuit can cause them. Or problems with the electrical service in the area.

Probably nothing to worry about, but you definitely don;t want to take a chance of hurting that amp.

Comment

Well, after this it is definitely time to get a power conditioner. I have noticed that we don't have the best power here.

Comment

Well, after this it is definitely time to get a power conditioner. I have noticed that we don't have the best power here.
                  So the amp is okay now?
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                    So the amp is okay now?
                    I was about to ask the exact same thing. I'm dying of suspense here.
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

whats up.. was it just a fuse? The suspense.. the drama...

Comment

Or neither?

It depends on what blew the fuse.

Comment

I don't know yet. I had the problem the right before I left for school in Luke AFB this month. I didn't have time to change the fuse and give the amp a proper check out. So it will have to wait until I get back in November.

Comment

I don't know yet. I had the problem the right before I left for school in Luke AFB this month. I didn't have time to change the fuse and give the amp a proper check out. So it will have to wait until I get back in November.
                            The suspense!
                            I like EL34s.

Comment

Tehachapi, Ca?

you wouldn't happen to know Jon, the mountain man would ya?

He owns a shitload of Mesa stuff and might be able to help you out with your problem.

He also has a collection of Kramers that will "asplode your mind"
                              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
                              X