Gretsch amp find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gretsch amp find

Out browsing today and picked up this killer little amp.
    Need to research it some don't know much about these.
    2 old RCA 6V6's in it and wow its a freakin loud little rascal.Jensen speaker that kicks ass.
    Looks to be all original and in great shape.
    Inside are the numbers 6150 serial number is T73655 on the little tag down at the bottom.
    Has some serious over driven sounds when you crank it.
    These old vintage amps are starting to pop up everywhere and I'm glad they are!
    Get one while you can.
    Last edited by straycat; 09-18-2010, 06:15 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Looks to be a 1961 5150T This amp rocks for a 5 watter.
    One 12ax7 one 6V6,one 5V3.
    Last edited by straycat; 09-18-2010, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I had a ~40 watt Gretsch 2x12 combo amp in the old store back in the early 90's.
      I could barely give that thing away!

...Along with Magnatones and Silvertones.

I thought they were cool but no one else wanted them at the time.

Good score Stray!

Comment

I already have a buyer for it Cyg isn't that weird?
        These are going like hotcakes it seems who knew?
        These were made by Valco. I wish this one was a 50's just for the dollar factor but its a cool amp.
        The price guides say $375-$480.I wouldn't have thought that much but I'm not complaining.
        He made an offer $500.00 +shipping. Told him I'd think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          He made an offer $500.00 +shipping. Told him I'd think about it.
          Get the F outta here

I've been picking up vintage amps as well. My last was a 60's Gibson GA15RVT Explorer. Two EL84s, very deep reverb with a long tank (going past 2 is too much), tremelo depth and frequency. It's in excellent shape - whoever serviced it left the old caps and resistors in a plastic ziploc bag as well.

The one thing I can't seem to get my hands on is a 6V6 amp. I'll have to get off my ass and make one I guess.

Comment

Yeah DonP the vintage amp market is really good right now seems like guitars not so much.Tons of MIJ Charvels are popping up.

Comment

That reminds me of a 60's Ampeg I found years ago, one of the portaflex models. It was just a chassis mounted on the plywood top when I got it...it had odd output tubes that I can't recall now and a nice natural overdrive when turned up.

I don't know how the old amps take to pedal but they're far from "metal". Very cool nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                That reminds me of a 60's Ampeg I found years ago, one of the portaflex models. It was just a chassis mounted on the plywood top when I got it...it had odd output tubes that I can't recall now and a nice natural overdrive when turned up.

I don't know how the old amps take to pedal but they're far from "metal". Very cool nonetheless.
                Probably 7591's.

I have a nice set of them of that came with a Hammond organ amp.
                They would worth a mint but it looks like the reissues have killed that idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                  Probably 7591's.

I have a nice set of them of that came with a Hammond organ amp.
                  They would worth a mint but it looks like the reissues have killed that idea!

I believe you're right. 7591s. Are those more akin to 6v6s or 6L6s? I remember thinking the Portaflex was about 45W, now doesn't seem as close to that as a 50W Marshall.

Comment

38 watts!

(I don't know...J/K).

Comment

Working...
                    X