Neck pup problem in new SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pup problem in new SL2H

So... I got an SL2H new and lately when I go from playing on the bridge pickup to switching to the neck pickup, I get 1 of three things:
    1. Everything works/sounds fine (somewhat rare)
    2. There is no sound, as if the volume was at 2 or 3
    3. There is some sound, but it's very low output, as if the volume was on 6.

However, after toggling the selector switch a few times, the pickup does #1.
    The pickups are stock Seymour Duncans.
    Any advice or things I should check for?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Mario8672; 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM.
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Open the cavity and squeeze the tabs around the switch. Sounds like it's not making a good connection all the time. I had that problem with my Les Paul.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Open the cavity and squeeze the tabs around the switch. Sounds like it's not making a good connection all the time. I had that problem with my Les Paul.
      Same thing happened to me once a while back when I actually had a guitar with 2 pickups in it
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

They're tight and everything's connected.

Comment

Same problem here, and I gave the following advice to another forum member having this problem.

The issue is corrosion on the contact. Because the neck pickup isn't used much, the contact is exposed to open air. This causes the contact to oxidize, mostly in humid environments (my SL2H came from Houston, TX).

To solve the problem:

1) Use the middle or neck position more often. The contact will clean itself off with use.

2) When not playing the guitar, leave selector switch in the middle position. This will prevent corrosion.

3) Get some contact cleaner from Radio Shack, squirt it on a Q-Tip, and clean the contact.

Option 1) and 2) were all it took to get my SL2H back to normal. This is good because my control cover plate is painted on solid, so much so I'm afraid I'll never be able to remove it. Good thing I like the pickups, but I'd like to add push/pull pots to split the coils.

Comment

Great info, Don! That's good to know. I just squeezed the tabs a little tighter on my LP and the problem went away, but I just took it out of the case a little while ago and did get the same problem again. I guess I'll use the neck pup more and then leave the switch in the middle when I put it away.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, it seems like I don't even follow my own advise I left my SL2H selector in the bridge position over the weekend.

But it still works fine. When I first got it, this guitar was really bad getting the neck pickup to work. Now, it works fine (no issues when selecting the neck pickup).

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Well, it seems like I don't even follow my own advise I left my SL2H selector in the bridge position over the weekend.

But it still works fine. When I first got it, this guitar was really bad getting the neck pickup to work. Now, it works fine (no issues when selecting the neck pickup).
                Yea, that's probably it. I always leave the selector on the bridge when I'm not playing (and most of the time when I AM playing too ). I just put it in the middle position now.

Thanks

Comment

I've just this minute had a similar problem with my WR1. When switching to the neck pup, I lose a lot of overdrive. I gave the pot and selector inside a spray with an air duster and it improves. Is it better to use that stinky PC component cleaner?
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I have used this before however use at your own risk http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAIG-DeO...ELAID=92181145
                    Last edited by phill_up; 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Would a dirty switch really cause weak output? That sounds like more of a wiring issue to me.
                      Scott

Comment

^The idea of keeping the switch in the middle has been working for me.

Comment

Sounds like a cold or loose solder joint. The switch lever position may just be a temporary crutch and taking care of it on a tmp basis. Double check the wires again and have a registered tech resolder the wires so it doesnt void your warranty.
                          Gil

Comment

Great info, Don! That's good to know. I just squeezed the tabs a little tighter on my LP and the problem went away, but I just took it out of the case a little while ago and did get the same problem again. I guess I'll use the neck pup more and then leave the switch in the middle when I put it away.
                            I'm just wondering, wouldn't a dab of grease work on the metal tangs or prongs of the switch? Not heavily coated mind you.
                            And isnt there some kind of grease that electritions use that fights corrosion, and also allows contact between 2 points.
                            If so, that might be a good thing to use. Or maybe a tiny bit of WD-40 on a Qtip to dab on and around the parts of the switch.
                            'Howling in shadows
                            Living in a lunar spell
                            He finds his heaven
                            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Lubricating contact cleaner would be the way to go. I would suggest something along the lines of the cleaner linked below. The lubricant coats the contacts and helps prevent further oxidation.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/404b.html
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X