setup turnaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setup turnaround

how long does it really take for a full setup? this local arsemunch has had my dx10dfs for nearly a week and he hasn't done the electrics yet.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

It takes me about an hour to set up a guitar. Less if its a fixed bridge.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk
      It takes me about an hour to set up a guitar. Less if its a fixed bridge.
      yeah, that's if you go old strings down, quick fretboard rub, new strings up. If you go and clean the entire guitar, fretboard, take out floyd etc, then install new strings, intonate them... it takes much longer. About 2 hours atleast with few short breaks between.

Comment

Did you ask how long it would take?
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

yes, 2 days i was told. then i got told otherwise, then again, then again. i then told him what tea bagging meant. i was being subtle and he just chuckled. since i value my guitar and it's brand new case, i chose not to make any unreasonable outbursts... give it time before i use my signature as a direct insult and ultimatum.
          Last edited by wilkinsi; 07-22-2006, 12:04 PM.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Places around here take forever and charge an arm and a leg. I just dropped off a guitar today for a fret level / crown + setup and they say it's going to take a week and a half, AND it will cost me $150!

Comment

I had two come in today did them and called them to come pick em up.Both were ESPs with floyds It took about 3 hrs for the both.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

straycat: Anybody you'd recommend in southern Indiana? I live in a small town and have had bad tech experiences in the local shops. I used to go to a place in Indy (2.5 hours away), but the guy took 2-4 weeks just to do a leveling and crowning.

Comment

I really dont know. How close to Lousville Ky are you?DarylV might know he lives there. I live in Lexington Ky about an hour from Louisville.There is a shop close to me that does outstanding fret work if you can't find anyone closer to you.
                  rsguitarworks.net
                  Last edited by straycat; 07-22-2006, 09:34 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

well after 10 days, i got it back. when turning the volume pot to "0", i now get the same loud hum effect as if i'd unpugged the guitar from an amp without muting the speaker. are the pots fucked?
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

i can do a complete setup in about 45 mins to an hour....this includes fret polishing, re string, bridge adjustments, neck adjustment, cleaning of electronics, and strobe tune. a week is WAY too long!

Comment

Originally posted by stratcat
                        i can do a complete setup in about 45 mins to an hour....this includes fret polishing, re string, bridge adjustments, neck adjustment, cleaning of electronics, and strobe tune. a week is WAY too long!
                        But if you have 30 guitars to do before it, then a week is an accurate estimate.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

best suggestion. learn to do it yourself.

there are plenty of sites, including this, one that have great set up tips.
                          its really not that hard. a few tricks that make things much easier, and a few tricks that keep it setup properly. anyone can learn how to do it.

ask a local guitar tech if you can sit in sometime and watch him do setups. and don't be afraid to ask why he does certain things a certain way. - yes he might get annoyed with you. but once you learn enough, he won't have to see you anymore.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I know some places that do "cookie cutter" setups with templates and set gauges. I'd imagine those guys can crank out some guitars, but I can't imagine their setups being all that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk
                              But if you have 30 guitars to do before it, then a week is an accurate estimate.
                              a week is still too long....

Comment

Working...
                              X