Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I DID IT!

http://autumn-frost.com/Projects/Pai...ller/pyog.html

Finally painted a guitar after getting that book off Ebay [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just the top for now - hafta experiment with that particular paint on the back once the top is done.

It's already coming out better than the infamous BunnyHead did [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: I DID IT!

Wow, awesome flip-flop scheme! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Watch out Mike Learn and Dan Lawrence, here comes the mad Dr Newc. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I take it that e-book was VERY useful! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Hmm, not bad!

Considering it's spray paint, im anxious to see what your finished product looks like. Does it go on fairly consistantly, or did you have to be very "ginger" with the can and it's distance?

Comment

Looking good so far! I've been wanting to try the Duplicolor kits so this is good motivation. I got this dual-shifting HRF idea. The hard part is decide which kit to use for the body color and which one for the flames? Can't wait to see the finished pics! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
        Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Thanks all. I can't touch it again till Tuesday (48 hour dry time). I'll know then if I need more clear or not.

It goes on easily, but the nozzle on the color can (funky looking thing - definitely not Krylon standard [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) was crooked, and I kinda hosed the inside of my gun handle adaptor until I finally straightened the nozzle out. I dunno if it's supposed to shoot out in a thin tall beam like it did, or a wide circle like Krylon.

Anyhoo, the can says 10-12" spray distance, but I had to get about 4 inches away to see it hitting the body due to the wind. I need to build me a booth or get one of those portable sheds [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for the DupliColor shifting stuff specifically, I'm trying to figure out a way to control the direction of the shift, but can't find any info on it.

I didn't follow the e-book this time, except to scuff up the existing finish before laying down the base coat, but since this is a useless body, I wasn't concerned about getting a factory finish, I just wanted to see how this particular product ends up as compared to the can lid and package pics.

Krylon makes a color-shifting system called Mystique, but I haven't found it around here, just the DupliColor.

Oh, BTW, the DupliColor stuff is an Acrylic Lacquer like the e-book recommends. I forgot to mention that on my page and when I emailed John about it (he asked me to inform him of the results if I tried it, since he hasn't used it).
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Wow, can't wait to see the finished result... [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

I think EVERY How-to posted on the net needs to use yours as a reference point...Nicely done Newc!

Comment

Dr. Newcenstein hard at work again [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

The funky looking nozzles actually work pretty good. I used silver and clear duplicolor paint on the Bengal I did. I think they call them "easy touch" or something like that. I didn't even use a spray gun handle with those cans because they worked so well. Definitely the finest spraying cans I've ever seen. Check out Walmart for the Krylon Mystique paint kits. The local one has plenty of them.

Comment

That's where I've been looking is WalMart - they have all the other Krylon stuff (what's this H20 with the irridescent lid?) but not the Mystique. And they've only got one DupliColor package - red to blue [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Auto Zone has the DupliColor Green to Gold, which I need, but I think the Mystique system has Purple to Gold AND Green to Gold, which are the three colors I need for my design.

DupliColor also has a glow in the dark paint, as well as a reflective (cop car-style) paint on their website.

I thought about having an Impala logo done on my 02 Impala (Impaler [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) evenly split across the doors, so that when headlights hit it at night, you see the logo light up like the decals on a cop car.
                    I'd also like to have the name done in reverse across the nose of the hood so you see it normal in your rear-view mirror [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Maybe the name across the front fender and across the back of the trunk [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The cops might not like it, though. And I'm sure I'd catch hell from some dumbass speeder that mistook me for a cop with all the reflective paint [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Love the "Impaler" idea! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] You could always buy from online dealers or Ebay. Somehow though, I get this feeling of receiving half empty cans from ebay! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://usartquest.com/cgi-bin/Shoppe...n&key=KRY4

http://www.marcopaper.com/krylonmystique.htm

Comment

Very cool Newc! One thing to really be careful of using the color-switching stuff is that if you don't get a really even coat each time, you end up with your spray pattern being a different color and really sticking out. Don't ask me how I know this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Interesting. So could a heavy/light mixed technique influence the direction of the shift?
                          By that I mean, if I spray heavy on the outer edges and then light in the middle of the body, would the color shift to/from the center to the edges rather than from edge to edge like it does now?

I REALLY need to find info on how to control which direction the effect shifts.

Comment

Newc - yeah. I was using the last of a can and hit one end of a guitar heavier than the other... once it dried, it always had one end kinda 'shifted' colorwise. I think thickness can influence the color, but I didn't mess with it a whole lot.

Pete

Pete

Comment

<font color="aqua">Looking good, my friend, keep up the outstanding work- [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
                              X