18v EMG system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18v EMG system

You guys need to try this with your EMG equipt guitars. You just run an additional 9v battery in series with your existing one and POOF... you now have an 18v system. So... what good is it?
    I'll tell you:
    You know how we talk about increased headroom when talking about amps? Increased headroom is a good thing.
    Going from 9v to 18v increases the headroom of your guitar. It doesn't change the gain. It just makes it clearer and easier to hear. It increases the sensitivity of the pickups. You will now hear harmonics and individual strings when you play a chord. IE: drop d and play a major D chord (using all the strings of course). Even with a TON of gain, you will hear every string.
    I, for one.. have just become a fan of EMG's. I really don't care for the 9v system but the 18v is just killer. Actually, the first guitar I ever played with the 18v system was Sambencuda's soloist. I was blown away. I am now going to install the 18v system in my Ibanez 540Pro THAT NONE OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY INTEREST IN!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: 18v EMG system

Yep, the 18v mod is IMO definitely an improvement, more open and less compressed as well )

Comment

But how much difference does it make with a wireless?
      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

I have 18v in my King V, big aural difference between my 9v ones.
        1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I've wired all my EMG's at 18V.

Comment

Glad to hear that you like it! I definately prefer 18v over 9v myself.

Comment

all mine are [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Mine too. I've enjoyed 18v EMGs for several years now! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've got mine on 18v...it sounds awsome!

Comment

I knew I could turn someone onto EMGs! My LPC showcase is soon to become and 18v setup. I was considering putting in passives, but 18v is cheaper and easier! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Jim, if you need the parts just let me know. 18 volts might be just the ticket for your LPC.

Comment

So what's the specific wiring diagram for that? Both reds together or cross the reds to each other's black or what?
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, its simple.

Just unsolder the black lead from the existing battery clip and solder it to the red lead on the new battery clip. Now, take the remaining black lead on the new battery clip and solder it where you removed the existing black lead. POOF... 18 volts.

Comment

I just did this with an 89 on my Kelly. Shit! It's picking up fret buzz! Time for a proper set-up, I guess! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Just did it on eZ-bOb. letmetellyou he was not amused. His signal dropped to half the regular output. Guess that battery clip I found in the bottom of my random-crap box didn't work quite as I expected it to. oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X