Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Odd ball RR24 restoration in process

So here she is...

I had a chance to play the guitar as it was and it was a blast so I have decided to give this girl a restoration. Granted, I will be trying to keep as much as original as possible without just doing a respray as this color is pretty cool and rare.

No idea what this model really is. Talked to jackson and they don't have a record for it. Talking to Itaru Kanno to see if this was one of his crazy one offs or a possible RR24 prototype. either way a great guitar.

first was a complete tear down to check on all the parts. input jack plate was completely rusted out and black coating was severely bubbled. long horn has some major chips that will be getting attention first. Luckily a friend of mine has a auto body shop and we got a perfect match paint for doing touch ups. I could sand down the guitar and respray but I've found that sometimes a guitars character can change from having that much finish removed and then re-coated. I like as is but want to treat the unsightly war scares.

I've included a pic of the weird serial number notation, all the ones I've seen have a "J" from the factory, this is an "I" or a "T" so not sure what that means.

I've just gotten in all the parts that were ordered and have started repairing the point. this is about all I've done so far as I'm letting the paint dry. Will post pics of tomorrow of progress.

Comment

Ouch! Cool man can't wait to see that geet finished.
      \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Freakin' Cool Guitar! Best of luck on
        the restoration!

Comment

Very cool! Can't wait to see it restored.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Pretty cool one there. Hard to say for sure from the picture, but could that serial number be just a partial "J" strike? Like they just didn't get the loop of the J at the bottom to make an indentation?

Comment

Maybe it's an upside down 1.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was gonna suggest some form of stamping error.
                ...but what's the model?
                Good luck with the project.
                96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time that a stamp got messed up.

But that still leaves the configuration to be discovered.
                  We can assume it is from the Professional Series from the headstock. But then, what Rhoads came with 24 frets, 1 pickup, Kahler non-trem...

Comment

Given the yellowing of the binding, I don't think it's an RR24. It also appears to have a pearl logo, which would further indicate an earlier model.

The TRC says Rhoads Pro, but things held on with screws are easily replaced at any point in its life, so it's not a valid indicator IMO.

The stamp definitely looks like a partial J.

If that's a 6-digit number, plus the J, then I'd say 1994 Japan-exclusive, unless the much later neckthrough Pros were still getting J+6 in 2004?

And don't forget to run the bridge ground wire.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Pretty sure the J serial prefix disappeared in the mid-late '90s. The RR5 and SL3/4 began late 2000-1 and I've never seen a J number on those models. Actually, 2004 would be 04xxxx.

I think Newc's theory is pretty solid. A 1994 Japanese market only model. '93-'94 was the time of the trademark issue which gave birth to the 'Grover Jackson' logo'd models. Perhaps this model was during the transition?

If you look at the 1990 Japan only Jackson catalogue you'll see that Kahlers were widely used on those models, unlike the North American sold Pros which rarely had Kahlers.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

It is a 1994 date code serial. no indication of the rest of the "J" stamp under what is there. I too have seen partials and they usually have a shadow of the whole letter. Yes it is a letter code followed by 6 digits.

The usual run of the mill RR pro pro had 22 frets, 2 hum, schaller floyd. this has 24 fret, 1 hum, kahler non-trem.

only other 24 fret ebony board neckthrough was the dave mustaine pro, Kelly Pro, And soloist Pro.

I know its not a refin dave as it had special scripting on headstock, I know its not a refin Soloist as they had a majorly different rear neck contour.

I do know that the contour on the kelly is similar but would still require a bit of contouring work to match.

Also to note, the quality of inlays used is in my opinion to be much much better than that of other pro pros I have seen. Like a USA custom shop level of quality as they have lots of figure.

Jackson logo is the inlay pearl.

I've also checked all japan catalogs for it and had no luck.

most of the japan market ones have "grover jackson" after jackson or "stars" after the jackson. non of them will say Professional. granted they had a professional series but the headstocks did not have the "professional" script.

Comment

also to note, the RR cover plate was originally 1 knob, second was added and not by a pro... thankfully it covers up nicely

there are no covered up holes from having more pickups either.

I've seriously exhausted just about any avenue looking for a matching guitar. if this was a japan only release I would expect to see a pic of at least one other one out there but no luck.
                          Last edited by AAEA; 11-05-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post

only other 24 fret ebony board neckthrough was the dave mustaine pro, Kelly Pro, And soloist Pro.

Don't forget the Collen Pro, which was 24 fret, ebony board, and neck through, and of course the Warrior Pro, which was 24 fret, ebony board, and neck through. Although they had the weird slant to the end of the fingerboards.
                            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                            Gotta get away from here.
                            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                              Don't forget the Collen Pro, which was 24 fret, ebony board, and neck through, and of course the Warrior Pro, which was 24 fret, ebony board, and neck through. Although they had the weird slant to the end of the fingerboards.

yea I left them out due to the slanted fretboard. seeing as they had these features the serial number placement would have been impossible.

Comment

Working...
                              X