So I dropped my guitar yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I dropped my guitar yesterday...

My guitar class at college was over and I put my Jackson SLSMG back in my gig back to get ready to walk back to my apartment. I also was tending to unplugging my amp, bagging it up (rain showers were in the area), and listening to the professor talk some more about what we are working on in class and so needless to say, I forgot to zip up my gig back all the way and left it partly open at the bottom. Long story short, once I put my gig back on my back, the guitar slipped out, fell to the ground and hit the floor with the bottom strap button taking the most impact and then it proceeded to fall strings first to the ground. Needless to say I was heartbroken and still feel like a major idiot right now for not making sure my guitar was secure.

Immediately after it dropped, my professor quickly came over and examined it all over and he said the guitar was ok. Somehow, there are no dents on it, no scratches, and there looks to be no cracks in the wood anywhere on the neck or the headstock. The only thing wrong was that the strap button was jarred loose from the impact but I tightened it back up later at my apartment and aside from some of the soft material that is placed between the button and the body now being gone or not in place as before, the strap button is secure and tight again as it was before.

I haven't really examined any other aspects of the guitar such as setup, action, intonation, etc or neck adjustment. But I want to be absolutely sure that the instrument is ok. Has anyone here had a similar experience and found that their setup or neck adjustment was all out of whack and needed to be re-done? Is there anything else I need to examine on the guitar? Could the neck possibly be warped or damaged from the fall even though the angle looks the same as it was before and I see no wood cracks? If I examine the tuning stability more and find that it is going out of tune a lot, might the guitar have any other major problems?
    Last edited by Total_Annihilation; 02-22-2011, 12:35 PM.

If the neck is all out of wack or anything like that, I'd suspect serious damage like a crack or something.

It should be just fine. Check the relief and action and give it a good going-over and consider yourself lucky if you don't find anything, but it sound like you got away with it this time.

Comment

I drop my guitars all the time. It's not an instant death sentence.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        I drop my guitars all the time. It's not an instant death sentence.
        +1
        MY Jackson dropped out of the back strap once went to the floor but softened the blow with my foot... small little dent in the finish... I call it character
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

I dropped my SG with enough swack to snap the D-string machine head off and the neck was fine.
          Blank yo!

Comment

You could check the frets for dents made by the strings on impact. Also, I would suggest you replace the soft shim (felt) on the strap button as it (to some extent) protects the clear coat from indentation + chipping.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I've always had a fear of dropping one of my guitars too. I have banged them on stuff while moving them around, but never done any damage, outside of one ding I put in the upper horn of my old JS-series Kelly.

I'd say you're amazingly lucky this time. Chalk it up to a learning experience, and make this a "do not repeat" moment.
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I once had a BC Rich Ironbird bass come off the strap and it landed on its lower horns. There was a crack starting from under the bridge right through to the neck pocket. I had let go of the neck to take a plectrum out of my pocket. Won't do that again
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

You could always use straplocks as well...
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Every guitar I have has Straplocks. Just in case I ever actually play standing up.

Comment

This reminds me of when I was in the 8th grade (1987) and I had my first guitar.. an import BC Rich Strat. Saved all summer for it. Well... if you couldn't tell from my choice in guitar, I love Hair Metal and just HAD to try the Cinderella guitar trick. Of course I couldn't play the guitar so how the hell could I know what strap locks were? Needless to say the guitar went about 15 feet and landed on the kitchen table, then the floor with a loud KRANGGGGG. What followed after was a string of explicatives that would make a Marine blush. The beauty of it all is that 1) the guitar survived with ZERO damage and 2) it was all on VHS. I just wish I could find the tape. LOL

Comment

Friend of mine tried that Cinderella trick with a Jackson bass and jammed it in the ceiling.

And a gigbag should always be zipped towards the head, never the bottom.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

This guy does good until he tries to perform the backwards flip:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
                            an import BC Rich Strat. Saved all summer for it. Needless to say the guitar went about 15 feet and landed on the kitchen table, then the floor with a loud KRANGGGGG.

Would love to see that!
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

NSFW (language)

Comment

Working...
                              X