Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1

    Default New member - '86 San Dimas soloist dilemma

    Hi folks, I'm a new member...

    I have a Jackson '86 soloist, S/N J2357 (San Dimas). There're questions about what's original on it, and if anything on it isn't. I understand there are people on this forum that actually worked at San Dimas and may even have log sheets of the guitar build. An amazing thought.
    I've attached pics and I would appreciate someone's expertise on this guitar. Thank you in advance for your help.




    Last edited by SFV; 11-29-2018 at 07:38 PM.

  2. #2
    JCF ADMIN toejam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Slayerville, NJ
    Posts
    40,542

    Default

    I don't think they used the Schaller/JT-590 trem back in '86 or those pivot posts.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

  3. #3

    Default

    no definitely not that bridge is newer than 86.
    Love the S/S/S config though
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

  4. #4

    Default

    Those strings!!

  5. #5
    JCF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,228

    Default

    Yeah, the bridge and string lock are not original.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

  6. #6

    Default

    String lock might be original, if it originally came with a Kahler two-point traditional fulcrum tremolo. I’ve seen a few 3 tite Soloists done that way. That was probably modified to the Schaller later.

  7. #7
    JCF Member PowerTube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind you, with a knife....
    Posts
    3,164

    Default

    Didn't the Jackson Pot Metal Special, oops, I mean the JT-6, come with that same Kahler-style string lock? Or was the JT-6 not around in 1986?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

    "Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

  8. #8

    Default

    I believe JT6 studs would’ve been wider than those Floyd inserts, so not likely.

  9. #9
    JCF Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerTube View Post
    Didn't the Jackson Pot Metal Special, oops, I mean the JT-6, come with that same Kahler-style string lock? Or was the JT-6 not around in 1986?
    The string lock body was similar/the same, but the big screws that could be moved with a coin was the JT6 look. The kahler locks mostly used a smallish allen wrench, but a few worked with a manual lever / push lock. The JT6 started appearing in 87.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

  10. #10

    Default

    Thank you all for the comments.
    So the Schaller JT-590 is not original. The lock nut might be original.
    How about the 5-way switch? I attached a pic. Hope that helps.

  11. #11
    JCF ADMIN toejam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Slayerville, NJ
    Posts
    40,542

    Default

    Not sure if the switch is original, but what does that matter? Switches and pots can go bad after awhile and need to be eventually replaced, so no big deal.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toejam View Post
    Not sure if the switch is original, but what does that matter? Switches and pots can go bad after awhile and need to be eventually replaced, so no big deal.
    I'm trying to sell the guitar. A buyer was saying the 5-way switch wasn't used in '86, I guess implying it was converted from 2/3 toggles or whatever? Sounded crazy to me, but I wanted to give him a knowledgeable response.

  13. #13
    JCF ADMIN toejam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Slayerville, NJ
    Posts
    40,542

    Default

    The five-way switch was used in 1986. The gunmetal gray Soloist here is from a long-time JCF member and is an '86.
    https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/13...ight=1986+tite

    gmg.jpg
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

  14. #14
    JCF Member pianoguyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I live in Hershey, Pa... when I am actually in Pa.
    Posts
    1,807
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The trem is not original, nor is it "time correct".

    The nut and lock could be original.

    A 5-way switch could be original, being that these guitars were typically 'ordered' instead of mass produced cookie cutters. But, your friend is correct, the 'standard' of the time was not a 5-way. If this was originally SSS, it was definitely ordered by someone and would make sense that a 5-way would be there. However, because I see the wood instead of red inside the 5 way switch, I would think that it was added later.

    I question the date/factory even though it is on the Jackson website. The presence of an R on the headstock means that this was after the IMC deal. That, if memory serves, means it was Ontario.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shreddermon View Post
    I believe JT6 studs would’ve been wider than those Floyd inserts, so not likely.
    If the guitar had the jt6 from the factory, an original floyd will fit in that space. I have replaced a jt6 on a charvel with an original floyd with flawless results. The schaller is the same spacing as a floyd so I believe that would also retro fit if logic serves me?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toejam View Post
    The five-way switch was used in 1986. The gunmetal gray Soloist here is from a long-time JCF member and is an '86.
    gmg.jpg
    Thank you toejam. I appreciate the effort.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianoguyy View Post
    The trem is not original, nor is it "time correct".

    The nut and lock could be original.

    A 5-way switch could be original, being that these guitars were typically 'ordered' instead of mass produced cookie cutters. But, your friend is correct, the 'standard' of the time was not a 5-way. If this was originally SSS, it was definitely ordered by someone and would make sense that a 5-way would be there. However, because I see the wood instead of red inside the 5 way switch, I would think that it was added later.

    I question the date/factory even though it is on the Jackson website. The presence of an R on the headstock means that this was after the IMC deal. That, if memory serves, means it was Ontario.
    Thank you for the response pianoguyy. The inside cavity is definitely all red. If it looks otherwise it's just picture glaring. - (SFV edited) Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the guts. You are right, looking into the switch from the front, the wood is exposed.
    I looked at the previous post pic that toejam included: an '86 soloist with a 5-way. I couldn't tell for sure because of the resolution, but it seems there's a hint of white in the channel. Might that imply that the cutouts in both guitars were made after the paint, and it was the original build?
    Last edited by SFV; 12-03-2018 at 01:54 PM.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EntrailsOfU View Post
    If the guitar had the jt6 from the factory, an original floyd will fit in that space. I have replaced a jt6 on a charvel with an original floyd with flawless results. The schaller is the same spacing as a floyd so I believe that would also retro fit if logic serves me?
    I said the JT6 studs themselves were wider than a Floyd/Schaller's. I wasn't referencing the spacing between the studs for the bridge. To replace JT6 studs with those modern Floyd/Schaller versions, you'd have to dowel the existing, wider holes and redrill for the new, smaller-width inserts.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shreddermon View Post
    I said the JT6 studs themselves were wider than a Floyd/Schaller's. I wasn't referencing the spacing between the studs for the bridge. To replace JT6 studs with those modern Floyd/Schaller versions, you'd have to dowel the existing, wider holes and redrill for the new, smaller-width inserts.
    Ah yes, this makes more sense. Looking again, those are definitely NOT jt6 studs.

  20. #20
    JCF Member pianoguyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I live in Hershey, Pa... when I am actually in Pa.
    Posts
    1,807
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFV View Post
    (SFV edited) Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the guts. You are right, looking into the switch from the front, the wood is exposed.
    Right, that, not the cavity.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •