Default Jackson Performer help

Recently back in March my grandfather passed away and he left me this guitar and I have no idea anything about it or hardly anything about guitars. It's a Jackson performer and I know its brand new because it was buried in his closet, also this is a right-handed guitar and he was left-handed. The past two months I've been getting into playing and I've really enjoyed it and I'm wondering if this guitar is worth keeping. Even if it isn't its still a pretty bitch'n guitar. If you guys could help me out and let me know anything about it that would be awesome. Here are some pics:

Last edited by GracesonJ; 07-12-2018 at 11:55 AM. Reason: I forgot the pics lmao

I live in Hershey, Pa... when I am actually in Pa.
    Blog Entries

It is a PS-4, which is probably the most desirable of the Performer line.
    Performers are 20 years old, and they would be the cheapest guitars of the Jackson line. Something equivalent to the Squier or Maestro lines from Fender or Gibson.

Is it worth keeping?
    Well, it certainly isn't worth selling. So, you might as well keep it.

For local sales (such as Craigslist), you could sell it semi-quickly for $100. Or you could hold out for $200 if you want to wait.
    The global/internet sales prices vary and change on a daily basis. And since this one looks like it hasn't been touched, it may be able to bring a few more dollars than others.

But, no, you did not find a 56 Les Paul in the closet. You aren't going to buy a new car from the sale, won't even be able to make a used car payment.

**EDIT**
    You could maybe add $50 because that does seem to be a "better than what is typically seen" case.
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 07-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.

I live in Hershey, Pa... when I am actually in Pa.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GracesonJ View Post
    also this is a right-handed guitar and he was left-handed
    Many left-handed/ambidextrous people play guitar right-handed. So, unless you saw him play left-handed guitar...

JCF (I have no life)Member rjohnstone's Avatar

I've owned several.
    Serial number indicates it was made in Japan.
    Solid guitar. Trem and pickups are Ok, but the rest is well built.
    -Rick

Personally I would be happy owning a Japanese Jackson Performer over any of the current student/budget guitars like the JS Series... and I LIKE the JS Series!

Quote Originally Posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
    Personally I would be happy owning a Japanese Jackson Performer over any of the current student/budget guitars like the JS Series... and I LIKE the JS Series!
    Exactly!!

I'm a lefty who plays righty so it's more common than you think.

I'm sorry, but anything my Gramps owned that was given to me is for someone to dispose of when I'm dead and gone. I'd hang onto it for just the memory alone myself. To me it would be cool as hell to jam on a reverse head stock Jackson that your Grandpa jammed on.

JCF Member

I used to own a PS-4 and I was dumb and sold it, it was a much cooler guitar than I thought it was at the time and your Grandpa's looks like it's in great condition. As people mention in the thread it'S a Japanese built Jackson with decent hardware and electronics, if you look after it that guitar will last you a life time.

If I could buy back the PS-4 I sold (and the Concept JDX-94) I would, and I have 3 bolt-ons from the 92-95.

They were more intermediate level, between entry level JS and Pro series.
    $600+ ballpark MSRP, so probably sold for $400ish back then.

The market is flooded with guitars that aren't selling, so you can find them cheaper than they're worth. The construction has the potential to be A-1 since it was made in the same factory as the Pro models.

I'd say it's actually worth $300 in great shape. In a perfect world, even a tad more if it lives up to it's potential.
    I'd put that serial at '98-'99. The neck pocket would have date stamps if you're curious.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

All it needs is probably a good set up. I agree with Mudlark's assessment.

Can anyone tell me if the Japanese "Jackson Performer" series guitars were manufactured in the same factory as the "Jackson Professional" series?
    I am aware that there was a later issue from Korea, and the quality was not quite the same level as the Japanese versions.

I own a 94 King V Professional and a 96 Rhodes Professional, and I am about to purchase a 96 Kelly Performer.

Just looking for some insight regarding the expected quality.

Thanks in advance.

JCF (I have no life)Member rjohnstone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Japanese "Jackson Performer" series guitars were manufactured in the same factory as the "Jackson Professional" series?
    I am aware that there was a later issue from Korea, and the quality was not quite the same level as the Japanese versions.

I own a 94 King V Professional and a 96 Rhodes Professional, and I am about to purchase a 96 Kelly Performer.

Just looking for some insight regarding the expected quality.

Thanks in advance.
    Yes... same factory... same workers.
    Construction is on par with the Professionals. It's the hardware and electronics that are lower quality.
    -Rick

Thanks Rick!
    Now.... to find a 90s Warrior!
    Why are they so damn elusive?

Thanks Rick!
    Now.... to find a 90s Warrior!
    Why are they so damn elusive?
    Yes.....never see them. Only can stare at the catalog page
    Im with you. I want one bad!

When I was much younger, I was learning to play, and my father's friend was travelling from South Africa (Where I lived at the time), to Texas, on business.
    He told my father that he could bring a guitar back for me, upon his return.

He sent a fax, with three prices:
    Gibson Flying V - $849 (I didn't like the rounded edges.... not "Metal" enough! LOL)
    Jackson King V Mustaine - $1499 (Too expensive for me)
    Jackson King V Std - $749 (Cool Looks, Good Price)

When it arrived, it came with a hard case, strap, and was loosely strung (for transport reasons).

I honestly could not believe how low the action was, compared to my Aria Pro II.
    The neck was paper thin, and so comfortable. - As a result, I am not comfortable playing thicker neck guitars, such as Fenders and Ibanez.

Some 25 years later, and now living in Australia, I find myself purchasing more 90's Jackson guitars.
    I sourced another Jackson Professional Rhodes, which is in decent condition (except for a gouge out the lower tip, which I must try to restore)... and now, a Jackson Performer Kelly,in Cherry color, with a Gibson Humbucker installed on the Bridge.
    Great price, I thought, but was not impressed with the MIK Performers (Their necks were thicker, and were not smooth like the MIJ model I had)... but this one has a serial starting 96xxx, and has the old "Made In Japan" sticker still semi intact.
    I am seriously considering buying it.

There is also the option of a newer 2015/16 Jackson Warrior..... because I have to face reality: I am not going to find a Jackson Professional Warrior from the 90's and not have to sell a kidney for it!!

When it arrived, it came with a hard case, strap, and was loosely strung (for transport reasons).
    You actually don't need to loosen the strings when shipping guitars. Keeping it at standard pitch is totally fine. Don't believe the hype.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Yes waiting forever and paying the price for a Warrior Pro. Buying a Usa Warrior is the only other option. $2700 for a new one. Seen some other Usa models used for $1200 to $1800.
    Im stubborn I will stay on the hunt for the Pro.
    Purchased a New RR1 because I lost the deal on the Rhoads Pro. Like the Rr1 but I found the Rhoads Pro and bought it.Pro is so much beter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackrippedv View Post
    Yes waiting forever and paying the price for a Warrior Pro. Buying a Usa Warrior is the only other option. $2700 for a new one. Seen some other Usa models used for $1200 to $1800.
    Im stubborn I will stay on the hunt for the Pro.
    Purchased a New RR1 because I lost the deal on the Rhoads Pro. Like the Rr1 but I found the Rhoads Pro and bought it.Pro is so much beter.
    Unfortunately, being on a very limited budget, I will have to potentially settle for one of the cheap models out these days..... but it will hurt!
    I love the old exotic shaped guitars, and Jackson does them best!
    One day I will take the plunge,and purchase a Pro version of one of the exotics.
    I am sure the overall build quality is way better, as well as the hardware!

I have a JDR Concept, a Korean PS-4, and a Japanese PS-4. I changed the pick-ups in all of them and they all are very good guitars. While yours is not now, nor will it ever be, worth much money, it is a nice player. Enjoy it and remember the good times you had with you grandpa.