Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Newc View Post
    I've got an Indonesian neckthrough KV (the one with alumiloid inlays) that is every bit as good as the USA KV2T hanging next to it.
    The arrogant, senseless cunts on facebook calling every Jackson made outside the US 'firewood' would disagree wholeheartedly with this.
    Though...it's the 'arrogant, senseless' part of their personalities that keeps their heads up their asses.

Firewood? Um that is surely going too far. My last luthier (who did a shitty job) had the same opinion and said if its not made in the USA it's gonna be difficult to deal with and not a good guitar. He left my guitar to buzz everywhere and said everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Newc View Post
    I've had several '90-'94 MIJ neckthrough Pros - Soloist, KV, Warriors, Collen Archtops - and I've had both a USA and MIJ Warrior from the same year at the same time and compared them directly.
    Every MIJ Pro was identical in terms of build quality.

I've had several USA bolt-ons, mostly Dinkys, and I've had a couple I couldn't get along with because there was something "off" about them I couldn't quite nail down or correct, even after hardware swaps.

I've had USA neckthroughs that, for various reasons, I could not seem to bond with, despite their build quality being unquestionable, including Custom Shop models (JCF01 and 02, PCS RR, SD Soloist, KV-2, WR-1, at least).

I've got 4 MIJ JacksonStars NASLs that each feel like different guitars. I had one I could not get along with, even after replacing the hardware and electronics, which was something it really did not need as it came with a Schaller and Duncans.

I've got an Indonesian neckthrough KV (the one with alumiloid inlays) that is every bit as good as the USA KV2T hanging next to it, and they are the only Jackson Vs I've been able to get along with aside from my old KV-3.
    I've got 2 Monarkh Pros that are identical in build and feel, and which I was able to compare directly against an original Collen Archtop Pro, and found them to be equal in craftsmanship.

Maybe I got lucky 3 times out of 3, but I know that's not possible. These are good guitars.
    Interesting. All I know from personal experience is that among those I've played, my MIJ Soloist Pro will eat any MII's lunch, and then take its milk money for tomorrow. May have to check them out again, although I'm good on Charvel/Jackson at the moment anyway.

It was very depressing in the mid '90s when Jackson/metal in general fell out of favor and they had to go cheapie to survive as a brand. I know they've recovered tremendously since then, but I haven't found any new non MIJ imports that are as good as my early '90s MIJs yet. The old school MIJs are close enough to the USAs that I don't worry about it at all.
    '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
    '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
    '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
    '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
    '90 Charvel 475 XL
    '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
    Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
    Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
    Marshall JVM410H

JCF (I have no life)Member Newc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanzoStrife View Post
    My last luthier (who did a shitty job) had the same opinion and said if its not made in the USA it's gonna be difficult to deal with and not a good guitar. He left my guitar to buzz everywhere and said everything is fine.

I've had just as many USA as import Jacksons that had material and construction issues. Everyone mass produces at least one bad guitar out of several thousands. It is an inherent property of mass production.

However, to denounce the quality of an entire line because of a few bad apples is astoundingly childish and uneducated.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Holy thread resurrection.

I need a third guitar and since I have an RR1 and a KE3Pro (MIJ) I wanted to add a KV of some sort - Ideally KV5 - so that I have a complete arsenal. Now, It looks like the KV5 MIJ is ultra-rare and commands big money. Or I could buy a new KVXMG for way less.

KVX is still a neck-through guitar, possibly well built and so on but I do suffer from the Indonesia stigma. My MIJ Kelly is a phenomenal guitar. Not sure if anything outside of Japan compares at that price level?

What is the consensus on here?

Thanks for reading.

No consensus as you can imagine. Some guys will say there's nothing like a MIJ, other guys have had good experiences with MII. Since there are no new MIJ not sure what sort of price comparison once can make. X-Series Jacksons are a great deal. I have no experience with Jacksons made by Cort but Jackson seems to trust them, they've been working with them for a while and are contracting them for more and more of their guitars. The fretwire is going to be different so it's going to feel different to play. And the Japanese paid more attention to finishing the fret ends, that you don't find with imports these days. Buy from a place with a good return policy just in case you don't like it.

Well, I ended up buying an immaculate MIJ KV5 and answered my own question. My local guitar store has a KVXMG in and I had a look. It's a great guitar for the price actually, not sure what can compare at that price point.

I'd be very happy with one. But yeah, somewhat I wanted a Japanese one and was lucky to land exactly the spec I was after.

I had a MIJ SL3 back in the 90s tgat was a beautiful guitar. The FR was ok but needed regular tuning. That guitar is long gone. About a year ago I bought a MII Samick SL2 MAH pro. It is a tremendous guitar. Neck is perfect, sounds awesome, and never goes out of tune. I just got a MIM Dk2mq pro last week. The fret ends are not as good as the soloist, but it atill plays great, sounds incredible, and alao holds tuning. My biggest beef with both us the locking nut is really sharp on the corners. At the end of the day, the MII Soloist is a better guitar. And I got bother of them for about 30% less than the street.

JCF Member

I have 8 Japanese built Jackson and Charvels and 1 Indian made Jackson. It's not fair I guess to judge all the Indian made guitars on my single example but all of the Japanese guitars ate basicalky perfect and the Indian guitar is significantly inferior.

My Indo Soloist is pretty much perfect. It very quickly became my number one, overtaking my Les Paul, my PRS, and my Fender. It plays better than all of them. The action is lower with no buzz. It has a dark sound due to the mahogany, but it is not dull. Just takes some dialing in on my amp. The Dinky pro with an alder body and maple cap is much brighter. I didn't have it dialed in on my first gig with it last Friday. I haven't had any five hour rehearsals with it at home on my rig yet. And as soon as summer comes and we have some heat and humidity, the frets will be smooth as silk.

I was reluctant to buy a MiM because of the fret issue. It feels like most MiM Fender necks, fret-end-wise. I guess you can chalk that up to Mexico being pretty much warm and humid year round. I live in the Northeast, and it is mega dry and cold in the winter. Relative humidity hovers are 20=30% in the winter months. Sometimes it is as low as 12-15%. In the spring, summer and falll, we are more in the 40-70% range. I only sell off MiM guitars in the summer months when the neck is smooth. Indonesia has a more varied climate. Not as extreme as the Northeast, but they have a very dry season close to ours, and a very humid season as well. That said, the Dinky is still a very nice guitar. The action is better than my others. I actually have it a little lower than the MII right now, though I am starting to get a bit of acoustic buzz on the high side of the neck after a week. But I have it the action extremely low. Amplified it is fine. My current rig is a Marshall DSL40c, and I use the classic channel with the gain maxed, which give me a little over the edge of distortion maxed out, but cleans up completely with a bit of volume roll off. Then I use pedals (Soul Food and OCD on clean boost) to push the amp into singing harmonics.

At the end of the day, my Indo Jackson pro is great. It is better than my Les Paul. I can't afford a USA Jackson these days. And I can't afford a custom shop LP either. But I can tell you that it is on par with most of the Gibson's I've had over the past 20 years. And plays better than them, though I loved them all.