Replacement tremolo for a JS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement tremolo for a JS11?

This guitar is a big surprise. The fretwork is excellent, the pickups sound great, and the 7/8 size makes for a shreddier neck than usual. The value for what you pay is exceptional.

But... I don't trust this tremolo to have longevity.

Anyone know if there is a Gotoh or Wilkinson tremolo that would line up with the original post holes?

I'd give the tremolo a chance before spending my money. It may be more than sufficient.
    Any tuning issues you may encounter could be the result of the nut. A well lubed bone or graphite nut would be my first change. Plastic nuts have zero appeal to me.

Since it's Asian made, I expect you'll need a metric sized bridge. Gotoh and Jackson have a long history, so I'd check the specs/measurements of Gotoh first. I just got 3 sets of Gotoh tuners to replace my Jackson logo'd tuners a couple weeks ago. Dropped right in since Gotoh made the Jackson tuners on two of the guitars, anyways.

Those Strat styled bridges should be easy to find a number of brand name replacements, though I've never looked into it.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
      I'd give the tremolo a chance before spending my money. It may be more than sufficient.
      Any tuning issues you may encounter could be the result of the nut. A well lubed bone or graphite nut would be my first change. Plastic nuts have zero appeal to me.

Since it's Asian made, I expect you'll need a metric sized bridge. Gotoh and Jackson have a long history, so I'd check the specs/measurements of Gotoh first. I just got 3 sets of Gotoh tuners to replace my Jackson logo'd tuners a couple weeks ago. Dropped right in since Gotoh made the Jackson tuners on two of the guitars, anyways.

Those Strat styled bridges should be easy to find a number of brand name replacements, though I've never looked into it.
      I agree the nut is a weak spot. I will likely swap that out, too, but I'm just curious if anyone knows of a trem available that would swap directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        Any tuning issues you may encounter could be the result of the nut.
        Sufficient for what? Maybe barely using it. Any Jackson pointy headstock with a non-locking trem and non-locking nut won't really stay in tune without straight string pull going across the nut to the tuners. Better off just keeping the bar out, locking it down on the body and using it as a hardtail.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Sufficient for what? Maybe barely using it. Any Jackson pointy headstock with a non-locking trem and non-locking nut won't really stay in tune without straight string pull going across the nut to the tuners. Better off just keeping the bar out, locking it down on the body and using it as a hardtail.
          That's what I'm doing currently, but I'd like to be able to use the trem on this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by agtg View Post
            That's what I'm doing currently, but I'd like to be able to use the trem on this thing.
            There is no direct replacement for this trem.
            You would be better off replacing the nut and getting locking tuners.
            -Rick

Comment

I mean, sufficient for what he needs.
              I got the impression when he used the word 'longevity' that it was proving to be useful, but he was worried about it wearing out from inferior metals and such.
              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Well, if it's going to be used sparingly for slight vibrato effects, it should work fine, but not really going to return to pitch too well if doing crazy divebombs.
                With locking tuners, some lubricant on the nut and saddles or trem posts, it should stay in tune decently, but really won't be the best with an angled, pointy headstock.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Truthfully, I did overlook the angled headstock issue.

Get a pencil and something sharp and shave some lead into the nut slots. I've never tried actual nut lube, it may be better, but lead works for me on a bone nut.

Comment

I've got a JS22 with the same trem unit. I bought some cheap locking tuners off ebay for ten bucks and lubed the nut with Music Nomad TUNE-IT string lube. Trem is OK for expression whilst staying in tune now.

I like the stock trem, it has a full sized block. I don't think it would make any difference upgrading that trem. If you want dive--bombs etc. you really need a double locking trem.

Comment

Working...
                    X