How to improve my new Charvel Pro Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve my new Charvel Pro Mod

Hello folks - first real post here so I'll give a short bit of background. ( I did get distracted on my way here and commented on someone's Night Ranger video - one of the most underrated bands from that era - but I digress. . )

I am pretty new to Charvels - but have always wanted one. (I do have a custom PC-1 that I've had for a decade that might as well be a Charvel but I'm not counting it) I decided to blow the dust off my guitars late last year after quite a long lay off (about a decade) - and about 5 months ago made my first recent guitar purchase a black Charvel Frenchie. Love it. Love how it feels, plays, looks - except the volume knob is in a bad spot for me sometimes - but otherwise it's a great guitar. Not sure it deserves the price point it's at - but it is what it is. So - fast forward to this week - and i cashed in a bunch of MF points and bought the E Okoume DK 24 along with the Charvel TSA case. I wanted a 24 fret version of a Charvel and i was curious to see how the MIM guitars would stack up next to my USA model - as I see them all over YouTube with what appears to be a lot of satisfied users.

So - I've spent a day putting it through its paces - I like the neck, the fretboard, the frets, the pickups. I'm ho hum on the aesthetics but they're fine. Body is fine. What I hate is the hardware. The Floyd feels like something that should be on a First Act guitar. The fine tuners are very difficult to turn - they're not cross threaded they're just crappy. The 5 way switch has already had the plastic nub come off. The tremelo arm doesn't turn smoothly neither does the nut that tightens it. It just feel like the cheapest crap they could find. My question is - have others had this same experience? If not - then I will send it back. If this is the norm - what have you replaced it with? I mean - Honestly Charvel - charge me another $150 so I can like all of the guitar.

Its a FRT-1000 right? I like them almost as good as OFRs.
    I like the fine tuners and trem arm tight. In fact, i usually put teflon tape on the trem arm threads.

Put Break-Free CLP on the fine-tuners, give it time to break in.
    Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

It's the FRT 2000 according to the MF site - but I'm very very underwhelmed. Not are the tuners very difficult to turn - but it doesn't return to pitch when you use the trem. Lifting up - will leave it quite a bit sharp - while a dive will return much closer to pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by EightmanVT View Post
        but it doesn't return to pitch when you use the trem. Lifting up - will leave it quite a bit sharp - while a dive will return much closer to pitch.
        Since it's a new guitar, I can assume the knife edges are in new shape. So let's rule that out for now. New guitar... new strings... fresh setup... are your strings fully stretched and broken-in?

Comment

Yes... they're pretty broken in now I think. I might put a little lube on the posts to see if that helps. Just didn't want to do that until i'm sure I'm keeping it

Comment

Just play it! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jspeed View Post
              Just play it! :-)

My fingers are sore - so that check is in that box.

Comment

It's the FRT 2000 according to the MF site - but I'm very very underwhelmed. Not are the tuners very difficult to turn - but it doesn't return to pitch when you use the trem. Lifting up - will leave it quite a bit sharp - while a dive will return much closer to pitch.
                They must have made a typo on the FRT 2000 thing... gotta be a 1000 those are exclusively made for the guitar manufacturers ...you can get parts & 'special' models via Floyd Rose website.

Floyd Rose says they are made from the same quality steel as the OFR and that the only difference in them is where they are made OFR Germany, 1000 S.Korean
                I have 2 of the 1000 Series, one that came as standard equipment and the other is one of those 'special models' (Burnt Chrome Finish) and both are amazing, hold tune going up or down no problem.

Start looking for a loose nut (sometimes the screws are stripped and allow slight movement ) or studs lifting slightly out of the hole... sometimes the movement is so slight at the stud but with a magnifying glass on the workbench fluttering, pulling, pushing you can see it...I recommend getting one you can wear on the ole noggin while you work with the guitar...check harbor freight. Best of luck dude \m/
                \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

No typo. The first numeral corresponds to the color of the trem.

1000 is chrome.

2000 is black. This is the variant we typically see on Jacksons and Charvels.

3000 is gold.

4000 is nickel.

5000 is black nickel. Sort of a smoky chrome.

6000 is antique silver.

7000 is antique bronze.

11000 is burnt chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

1000 is chrome.

3000 is gold.

4000 is nickel.

6000 is antique silver.

7000 is antique bronze.

11000 is burnt chrome.
                    Yeah I know the color codes...those show up on the Floyd Site... it didn't read as discussing color options but rather as one fellow asking if it was the FRT-1000 he like those ....which registered in my head as Floyd Rose Tremolo 1000 and the OP saying, Nah, FRT-2000 according to MF (Musicians Friend) and I know they typo a lot of stuff from time. Anyway...thanks for catching me up NOTP \m/
                    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
                      They must have made a typo on the FRT 2000 thing... gotta be a 1000 those are exclusively made for the guitar manufacturers ...you can get parts & 'special' models via Floyd Rose website.

Floyd Rose says they are made from the same quality steel as the OFR and that the only difference in them is where they are made OFR Germany, 1000 S.Korean
                      I have 2 of the 1000 Series, one that came as standard equipment and the other is one of those 'special models' (Burnt Chrome Finish) and both are amazing, hold tune going up or down no problem.

Start looking for a loose nut (sometimes the screws are stripped and allow slight movement ) or studs lifting slightly out of the hole... sometimes the movement is so slight at the stud but with a magnifying glass on the workbench fluttering, pulling, pushing you can see it...I recommend getting one you can wear on the ole noggin while you work with the guitar...check harbor freight. Best of luck dude \m/
                      Good stuff. I'll take a look at that. Maybe I'm just overly particular - but having to crank on these fine tuners bugs me for some reason. I've warmed up to the guitar over all though. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post

1000 is chrome.

3000 is gold.

4000 is nickel.

6000 is antique silver.

7000 is antique bronze.

11000 is burnt chrome.
                        I know he knew it - but I didn't - thanks for adding the clarification.

Comment

I know he knew it - but I didn't - thanks for adding the clarification.
                          +1

Comment

Working...
                          X