Quick direct-mount question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    Cool. Glad it worked out for you. And that Carvin there is like looking in the beautiful Pacific Ocean in Hawaii!
    Thanks. I'm now excited about doing the JB thing on it as well.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Well, this sucks.....sort of..... The Duncan sounds great in the ST300, BUT.... I discovered two things:

1. Both pickups are alive when I switch it fully to the neck position. Not a tragedy because I sort of like the blend, and I rarely use the neck position anyway.

2. The position one back from the neck on the 5-way switch is totally dead. I've never used that position in my life for any real purpose, so maybe I shouldn't care either way?

Both situations bug me somewhat, but again, I love the sound of the Duncan in the bridge position.

The wiring diagrams on Duncan's site for "2 Hum, 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 5-Way switch" are for two Duncan pups, not a Duncan combined with a Kiesel or anything else. (sigh) What I would give for some simple and accurate wiring instructions. Hell, I can't even seem to find the wiring for the Kiesel Lithium on its own.

But anyway, I may decide to take it to a "pro" at some point, if there is such a thing around here, which is doubtful.

I'm not too down and out about this, but any advice is appreciated.

Comment

Success! I FINALLY found a wiring color code for the Kiesel, or more accurately, I finally confirmed that it's the same as their 22-pole traditional pups.

All is well and I even went ahead and added a kill switch.

Comment

Cool. Glad you got it up and running.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Cool. Glad you got it up and running.
            Thanks. Once I have a bit of time I'm going to explore adjusting the heights of the pole pieces. Sad to say, that's a tweak I've always been negligent about.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
              Now I'm thinking about getting a black one for one of the DC600's:

Nothing against the Carvin C22B pickup either, but I'll bet a Duncan would really bring it to life.
              First of all, your Carvins rock!! 2nd, I can`t stand the Lithium pickups. I love the SD JB and Distortion a lot, equally, but different. I also love the C22B and M22SD. I have the M22SD in all 3 of my Carvins!! Those, I definitely would not change out. They are kind of like a JB meets a little more bass.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                First of all, your Carvins rock!! 2nd, I can`t stand the Lithium pickups. I love the SD JB and Distortion a lot, equally, but different. I also love the C22B and M22SD. I have the M22SD in all 3 of my Carvins!! Those, I definitely would not change out. They are kind of like a JB meets a little more bass.
                Thanks. Funny that you should say this, because I've decided to NOT replace the C22B pups in the DC600's. I've played them more lately and frankly, they sound every bit as good to my ears as the Duncans in my Jacksons and the ST300. I haven't tried the M22SD in years, so I can't really speak for it. But the Duncan TB-4 was a definite improvement over the Lithium.

When I ordered the ST300, the C22B was still the standard issue pickup but I decided to try something different since I already had the C22B's in the others, so I went with the Lithium. To me, the Lithium just sort of "lays there." It's hot enough, but something about it just doesn't do it for me.

Comment

Thanks. Funny that you should say this, because I've decided to NOT replace the C22B pups in the DC600's. I've played them more lately and frankly, they sound every bit as good to my ears as the Duncans in my Jacksons and the ST300. I haven't tried the M22SD in years, so I can't really speak for it. But the Duncan TB-4 was a definite improvement over the Lithium.

When I ordered the ST300, the C22B was still the standard issue pickup but I decided to try something different since I already had the C22B's in the others, so I went with the Lithium. To me, the Lithium just sort of "lays there." It's hot enough, but something about it just doesn't do it for me.
                  Totally right. The Lithium is plenty hot but has no character at all. Too bad Kiesel discontinued the C22B and M22SD pickups. Jeff makes some horrible decisions. His new model guitars are hideous to me and he has gotten rid of most of the ones I like. I do loves me some Jason Becker guitars though. I spec them out way different though.

Comment

I do loves me some Jason Becker guitars though
                    Hell Yea man ive almost pulled the trigger twice on one of his sigs. I WILL HAVE ONE!!

Love your carvins BTW!!

Comment

Too bad Kiesel discontinued the C22B and M22SD pickups.
                      Good news: they actually didn't. They aren't offered on production guitars any longer but they can still be bought individually. Question for you..... does the M22SD distort when you're playing clean tones? If so, I couldn't handle that. But if they don't, I may have to get one and try it out.

Jeff makes some horrible decisions. His new model guitars are hideous to me and he has gotten rid of most of the ones I like. I do loves me some Jason Becker guitars though. I spec them out way different though.
                      Totally agree. He killed off the ST300 and the DC127. Both huge mistakes in my opinion. The only way to still get an ST300 (sort of) is to get a Becker model, and even then the options are way more limited.

And a few of the new models look absolutely fugly. I think the Vanquish is uglier than anything made since the 60's. I've also noticed that they're going more and more into bolt-on models. Nothing at all wrong with bolt-ons, but some of us happen to prefer neck-thru.

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                        Hell Yea man ive almost pulled the trigger twice on one of his sigs. I WILL HAVE ONE!!

Love your carvins BTW!!
                        I agree. The ST body is awesome!! Don`t forget you can get 3 different neck profiles on these if you order one. The Thin(which Jason used), the Regular and the Thick. Mine has the Thick profile(Holdsworth profile).

Comment

Good news: they actually didn't. They aren't offered on production guitars any longer but they can still be bought individually. Question for you..... does the M22SD distort when you're playing clean tones? If so, I couldn't handle that. But if they don't, I may have to get one and try it out.

Totally agree. He killed off the ST300 and the DC127. Both huge mistakes in my opinion. The only way to still get an ST300 (sort of) is to get a Becker model, and even then the options are way more limited.

And a few of the new models look absolutely fugly. I think the Vanquish is uglier than anything made since the 60's. I've also noticed that they're going more and more into bolt-on models. Nothing at all wrong with bolt-ons, but some of us happen to prefer neck-thru.
                          Good to know on the M22SD and C22B for sure!! I don`t play clean, but I will try the M22SD clean and let you know about the tone and clarity. As for the discontinued models. My favorite bolt-on they made was the Bolt + and he discontinued that as well. I was about to order a 1 humbucker Bolt + and now gone. The new DC body shapes I really don`t like with longer skinnier horns and such. I also miss the SC90 and TL60. Now no Floyds on the CT models. He is out of his mind. Jeff is an eye candy, djent kinda guy. I swear his goal is all headless, 25.5 scale bolt ons. Hideous looking guitars!!

Comment

Good to know on the M22SD and C22B for sure!! I don`t play clean, but I will try the M22SD clean and let you know about the tone and clarity. As for the discontinued models. My favorite bolt-on they made was the Bolt + and he discontinued that as well. I was about to order a 1 humbucker Bolt + and now gone. The new DC body shapes I really don`t like with longer skinnier horns and such. I also miss the SC90 and TL60. Now no Floyds on the CT models. He is out of his mind. Jeff is an eye candy, djent kinda guy. I swear his goal is all headless, 25.5 scale bolt ons. Hideous looking guitars!!
                            I hear you. I had been considering another ST300 before he killed it off.

Just yesterday I went ahead and ordered an M22SD to drop in the DC600. I like the C22B, but I can't wait to compare them.

Comment

I had been considering another ST300 before he killed it off.
                              Just get the cheaper JB100 Jason Becker model. Same ST body shape, available with alder, swamp ash or mahogany body. The only thing you can't get on those are the flamed maple tops. https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/jb100

Or you can get the more expensive JB200 if you want a maple top.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just get the cheaper JB100 Jason Becker model. Same ST body shape, available with alder, swamp ash or mahogany body. The only thing you can't get on those are the flamed maple tops. https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/jb100

Or you can get the more expensive JB200 if you want a maple top.
                                Yeah, someone had mentioned on the Kiesel/Carvin board that the Becker models are ST300's. But I hate that the options are so limited. I like the DC600 just as much so that would be my choice going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X