Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a modeling amp live in your metal band? If so... which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
    I have some input, but I'm not currently in a band, so.....

Shut up then!

Actually, I'm not in a band any more either. Come on, let's go.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

as someone with more audience experience than stage, I'll say that although modeling amps can sound VERY good, a tube amp has a higher probability of sounding better in a small or medium club. getting a modeler to sound really good usually takes some finesse. with a marshall or something it's just plug 'n' play.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
        These days I am using a Helix rack into an EV ZLX12P behind. The Helix goes FOH. It has been working out VERY well. Here is a video from a show last month. It's not the greatest, but you can hear how the Helix sounds out front in the band context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmYD4725xBE
        I thought that sounded REALLY good for a live youtube video. Your sound was smooth. I think the overall mix was good since the song still sounded full even when you went into your solo - didn't notice the absence of the rhythm guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
          I thought that sounded REALLY good for a live youtube video. Your sound was smooth. I think the overall mix was good since the song still sounded full even when you went into your solo - didn't notice the absence of the rhythm guitar.
          Wow! Thanks man. I have really been enjoying the Helix. The new modelers - the "high-end" stuff - REALLY has the feel and everything.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Sounds good and "real"! I got one of those EV amplified speaker and they sound good.
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
              Sounds good and "real"! I got one of those EV amplified speaker and they sound good.
              I always used EVM-12L speakers in my guitar cabs. When I went in the Helix direction I tried a few PA speakers, including the KSC stuff. The EV gave me the tone I was use to hearing. There is a certain midrange that EV has that has always worked for me being that I have never played in a band with two guitarists. I like my tone to be thick and meaty - fill up a lot of space sonically, you know?
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                as someone with more audience experience than stage, I'll say that although modeling amps can sound VERY good, a tube amp has a higher probability of sounding better in a small or medium club. getting a modeler to sound really good usually takes some finesse. with a marshall or something it's just plug 'n' play.
                I assume that you are talking about using the guitar amp to fill the room instead of going through the pa?
                Because, if you are using a pa in a smaller place, you are probably going to sound MUCH better using a modeler because the pa mix doesn't need to compete against or compensate for an amp.

Comment

Old thread.. but what the heck. Been touring the country as a bass player in an original band. Who would have thought. When I am home I am still busy with 2 cover bands on the weekends. Been using every type of amp imaginable. Egnaters, Mesa's, Marshalls, Carvins... 1 x 12, 2 x 12, 4 x 12, etc.... all tube amps though.
                  Playing everything from Tom Petty to Ozzy.
                  We always have a killer PA system where everything is mic'd. Sometimes I just use whatever is in the backline. You would be surprised at what is back there sometimes! SOMETIMES ITS MODELING!! Here are a few of the notable ones....
                  An ORIGINAL Line 6 POD. 1st generation. Plugged directly into the snake with a little 4 button footswitch out in front. Clean, Crunch, Heavier crunch and lead. Going through an incredible PA system. How did it sound? Absolutely outstanding. Got compliments after the show. Not kidding. It was even fun to play through.
                  Line 6 Spidervalve MkII 2 x 12 combo with the MKII shortboard. This combo was mic'd with a 57. Again.. killer PA system. I could barely even hear the combo. It was a pretty big stage and the combo was way in the back. I relied on monitors only for my sound. I don't even know what presets were on it. The foot controller was marked CLEAN, Rhythm1, Rhythm2, Solo 1, Solo 2. The pedal was a WAH or a volume boost for solo. There was a another button marked boost. That was also a volume boost for solo's. How did it sound? Really good again. Not a bad tone in that thing. Reacted like a traditional tube amp, didn't sound digital at all. Completely silent.
                  Line 6 Helix. Direct into the PA. Good lord does this thing sound good. There is no need for a real amp when you have one of these. It might be the best $1500 you could ever spend. You don't need an amp... you just need this.
                  Axe FX II. I don't even know where this rack mount gear was. I had a wireless and there was a midi controller on the floor. It was set up as a Marshall Plexi clean, crunch, heavy, lead etc.... minimal effects. It sounded exactly like a real Plexi. I couldn't tell the difference.
                  Tech 21 Fly Rig. This was the red Richie Kotzen model. Plugged directly into the PA. Even the bass player had one. His was made for bass though. No amps on stage at all. Just these 2 little strips plugged into the snake on stage. Sounded like there were amps on stage to me. I couldn't tell the difference. I swore there must have been a backline somewhere. There wasn't.
                  Just goes to show you....
                  Last edited by jgcable; 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I loved the tone in my old POD 2.3, and still have it. But I haven't used it in years. Just tube amps. My DSL100 I bought new in 1998 gets most of the work. Also a 3203 into a 4x10. I have a Lynchbox, AOR's etc. but they aren't used as much as the Marshalls.

I don't play outside the home.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      I don't play outside the home.
                      You didn't read the rules

Please don't respond if you aren't in a rock or metal band playing live in clubs

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post

Line 6 Helix. Direct into the PA. Good lord does this thing sound good. There is no need for a real amp when you have one of these. It might be the best $1500 you could ever spend. You don't need an amp... you just need this.

….I don't even know where this rack mount gear was. I had a wireless and there was a midi controller on the floor. It was set up as a Marshall Plexi clean, crunch, heavy, lead etc.... minimal effects. It sounded exactly like a real Plexi. I couldn't tell the difference.
                        I have been using the Helix Rack since it came out. All I have onstage is the Helix Control pedal. My wireless is rack mounted. It is the perfect rig. It sounds the same in every room no matter the size of the venue. It really IS the best piece of gear I ever bought.
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Keep it simple..... Yeah Im breaking the rules, as I am not playing in a band..

Through the 90s and early 2000s I was my friends tech and roadie playing the basic drop d netal of the time. The rig I set up for him (rhythm) was an ART SGX, a BBE, and a Peavey straight power amp theu a carvin 4x12. It took 2 seconds to set up and break down and I could get the sound I wanted almost instantly whether we were playing a hole in the wall San Diego dive bar or a big LA club. The rig was simple and bullet proof. Got a lot of compliments on the sound and that was sharing the stages with the likes of coal chamber, static-x, System of a down, Machine head, Korn etc.......

THe stuff available today is so far ahead of that, but the simpler the setup is, the quicker it goes up and comes down, the easier it is to operate and trouble shoot etc,,

This was recorded with that rig...
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMov...r8DXLFtvdkTL3a
                          A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                            I assume that you are talking about using the guitar amp to fill the room instead of going through the pa?
                            Because, if you are using a pa in a smaller place, you are probably going to sound MUCH better using a modeler because the pa mix doesn't need to compete against or compensate for an amp.
                            a year later I see this reply.

I'm actually talking about both cases, but the worst offender is actually usually going direct from modeler to PA. like I said, the direct route can sound amazing, but too often I hear sounds that are just poorly dialed in, presumably because the guitarist adjusted the settings while listening through headphones, or at a low volume, or through a real cab.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
                              a year later I see this reply.

I'm actually talking about both cases, but the worst offender is actually usually going direct from modeler to PA. like I said, the direct route can sound amazing, but too often I hear sounds that are just poorly dialed in, presumably because the guitarist adjusted the settings while listening through headphones, or at a low volume, or through a real cab.
                              You can't fix stupid.
                              If someone dials in a bad sound, that is their own fault. They probably would do the same with a physical amp as they do a virtual one.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                                You can't fix stupid.
                                If someone dials in a bad sound, that is their own fault. They probably would do the same with a physical amp as they do a virtual one.
                                I agree with you, but it's definitely easier to get a bad sound out of a lot of modeling setups because they have more controls and parameters.

another thing I realized as far as direct-to-pa goes is that many sound guys won't really do anything to the direct signal as far as EQ or processing at FOH, whereas in a mic setting the sound guy will know what EQ sounds good for that particular room. going direct will require the player to actively adjust his settings for the particular room.

Comment

Working...
                                X