Help Me Identify this Charvel SD1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Identify this Charvel SD1

I'm interested in one of these SD1's but I can't quite figure out this neckplate. Seems this is a Mexican made SD1 but the neckplate doesn't seem to say made in mexico. Also, I thought it was only in recent years that they added the truss rod adjustment by the PUs (like EBMMs).

So can a few experts chime in to help me ID this guitar properly. The guitar is on Reverb here.

Here's the neckplate, seems like an older neckplate, not a newer MIM, but I don't really know. I tried but can't figure out what it's saying below the guitar.

It's a parts guitar.
    That neck plate is from a Model series Charvel from between 1986-1989.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      It's a parts guitar.
      That neck plate is from a Model series Charvel from between 1986-1989.
      thanks Rick. So in the world of Charvels, is it a fake, or are there are number of parts charvels out there because they're bolt on? Don't know why there would be a likelihood of this on a Charvel vs any other guitar with a screw on neck, but just askin'.

Comment

The neckplate is real, from a Japanese Charvel Model Series guitar as rjohnstone mentioned, but it's hard to tell if the rest of the guitar is fake or real based on one photo you shared. It's entirely possible the neck plate is bolted to a neck and body that are not authentically Charvel. If you're able to share more pics, it would be easier to diagnose the whole guitar.

The truss rod adjustment wheel at the heel was introduced on the 2016 Mexican Pro-Mods. 2016 also saw the introduction of the Six Pack of Sound, second control knob, and the 3-way pickup toggle switch was replaced with a 3-way blade switch.
        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 01-09-2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Need more pictures, but that neck plate is from a MIJ Model series.

Comment

He linked the Reverb auction in his post.
            https://reverb.com/item/16849744-charvel-strat-purple
            Looks like all Charvel parts, just not all from the same guitar.
            -Rick

Comment

That looks like a hard pass, the bridge pickup cover doesn’t even fit.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                He linked the Reverb auction in his post.
                https://reverb.com/item/16849744-charvel-strat-purple
                Now that I look back at OP's post, I see the listing embedded within some innocuous text. No wonder I missed it the first time. Thanks for the full URL.

Diagnosis: Model Series neckplate on a post-2016 Mexican Pro-Mod neck and post-2016 Mexican San Dimas Style 1 body. While the neck and body are from the same production era, I don't know if they are original to each other. Certainly replacement pickups and replacement control cavity plate. Probably a nice enough guitar overall, but for the price that I see in the listing (USD$525 + USD$60 Shipping), I'd rather get my own used stock Mexican San Dimas with the freedom to modify it myself if I chose to do so. Personally, for the price, I'd rather buy a used Japanese San Dimas, which are not overly difficult to find.
                Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 01-10-2019, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelDeVille View Post
                  That looks like a hard pass, the bridge pickup cover doesn’t even fit.
                  It's an EMG 57. It's supposed to look like that.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I can understand guys swapping out pickups but why would someone swap a neck plate and a rear control cavity plate? Seems like a parts guitar to me. Even though it might be all Charvel parts, you can find a lot of complete Charvel pro mods for around $600.

Comment

One thing I like to do is look at the sellers other listings, that usually tells a lot.

https://reverb.com/shop/compton-s-gear-depot

ESP LTD has major damage as controls took a hit and cracked the top
                      Kramer missing parts

Very little descriptions, installing pickups that don't get hooked up, evrything he's selling is sketchy.

I would stay far away from this seller

Comment

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the inputs. Yea, for the $$$ I definately feel I can put that $$$ towards a good SD without issues. Yea he was cryptic in a few Q's I had and with so so english, he's just not a player he's probably just selling parts guitars. That's all cool, just not for me. But I learned a lot here.

So can y'all help me out a bit more...

I need to dig more on these and find out about them so I can know what to look for. I saw a candy plum SD1 that I really liked but I don't know where it is in the history of Charvels. I don't yet know about the MIJs and where they fell in the SD1 timeline.

Here are what I see
                        1. Candy Plum USA SD1
                        2. Current mexican Trans Purple Burst DK24s, this parts guitar I was looking at seems to be a DK24.
                        3. Current mexican Purple Phaze SD1s
                        4. Current So-Cal Satin Plum SD1s

So actually I do like the 2's and 3's, I think I could even hang with the DK body style (neck is the same to my understanding), but as is typical in my town I can't find one of these to play. Not crazy about the current satin plum color. But it sure seems like I'd love to find an old Candy Plum SD1.

Any info anyone can provide on advice on these to educate me would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Comment

Here's a timeline that you can use as a guide to be able to identify 2008-present Charvel Production Model / Pro-Mod necks and bodies just by looking at photos.

The line began with the Charvel USA Production Models, of which there were 8 batches between July 2008 and April 2010. Start by visiting this thread: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/14...ls-catalog-ads

After that, production moved to Japan until the end of the Chushin Gakki plant in 2011. Specs were essentially identical to the USA Production Models. I believe the San Dimas Style 2 (Telecaster body) was omitted from production, leaving only the San Dimas Style 1 and So-Cal models available.

At some point after 2011, production moved to Mexico. Trems became recessed instead of non-recessed. In 2016, the product line experienced a large overhaul, receiving the new specs that I mentioned in my previous post (the truss rod adjustment wheel at the heel, introduction of the Six Pack of Sound, second control knob, and the 3-way pickup toggle switch was replaced with a 3-way blade switch). The line expanded to also include Dinky models, the reintroduction of the San Dimas Style 2 (Telecaster body).

Also in 2016, the USA Select Series (http://www.charvel.com/blog/2016/06/...select-series/) debuted. These are easy to identify because of their unique control layout.
                          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 01-11-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X