No announcement yet.

Jackson PC1 Glow in the dark inlays...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson PC1 Glow in the dark inlays...

Hey all,

I'm new here and this is pretty much my first time posting on here. I recently bought my 2nd Jackson PC1. My first one is a 2003 "Solar" model. With the old-school fender like headstock. Although it's an older model it has the 3 knobs instead of the original 2 knobs.

Anywho, the new one I picked up is the 2018 satin "Au natural" and it's drop dead sexy! The satin finish makes me hate glossy guitar finishes now haha It just feels and looks way better. Not to mention it doesn't pick up oily finger prints! The other nice feature is the satin gold hardware. It's so much nicer in person than when viewing photos online. Then there's the roasted wood. The flame maple fret board feels smoother and it's got this chocolatey look to it now that has me drooling.

I thought I knew all there was to this guitar but the other night I noticed the inlays glow in the dark!! WTF?! Haha the website doesn't mention this feature so I had no clue. Has any other PC1 owners noticed this too?

I'm loving my new Jackson but I wasn't too happy they no longer include the Floyd rose Allen wrench holder that sits behind the headstock anymore. The other thing I have an issue with is the sustainer. It sounds and acts slightly different than my first PC1. I definitely prefer the sustainer on my first PC1. I think after playing the new one I'll get adjusted to it.

Still this guitar is amazing and the PC1 is still my all time favorite guitar to play!

I guess they're using that luminlay stuff?

Usually, the allen wrench holder is in the case candy bag and you can install yourself or leave the headstock clean. There's a sticky post here somewhere about adjusting the sustainer - could just be that the trim pots on the PCB need an adjustment.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

You mean the side dots?

Comment

@neilli:

Unfortunately, my PC1 didn't come with the allen wrench holder (just the allen wrench), not even uninstalled and inside the guitar case. I contacted Jackson CS and they said they no longer have it as an option. Which blows, but I went ahead and ordered a satin gold Floyd Rose and installed it.

I should add that the allen wrench holder with the allen wrenches barely fit. Meaning, that you can sorta see the allen wrench from the front of the headstock but barely. I'd post pics but there's no option to post a photo without having a URL (Unless, I'm mistaken)

Never had to adjust the sustainer before so I'll probably play it for a while and see if the sustainer "warms" up. If it bugs me enough I may just take it to an authorized Jackson dealer and have them take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          You mean the side dots?
          Yep, sorry the dots on the top side of the fret board. Not the ones on the fret itself. Which there are no dot inlays (unless it's a custom version)

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidSpin View Post
            The other thing I have an issue with is the sustainer. It sounds and acts slightly different than my first PC1. I definitely prefer the sustainer on my first PC1. I think after playing the new one I'll get adjusted to it.
            The current sustainers are made by another company. I'm having a brain cramp on the name at the moment, but they are no longer made by Floyd Rose. Yes, the sustainer is a Floyd Rose designed unit originally used by Kramer (Called the Baretta Infinity Sustainer).
            They're still using the Floyd Rose Rev C schematic, but the board level components are slightly different. (I repair them btw).

You may want to break out PH00 size plastic tip phillips head screw driver and adjust the two trim pots on the board.
            One is for gain (middle of the board), the other is for intensity level (edge of the board). Cranking the gain up will make it squeal and cranking the intensity level up too high will eat batteries.

You can do this without removing the board as there are two pass thru holes you can use.
            This is how they dial them in on the bench.
            Last edited by rjohnstone; 06-15-2018, 04:21 PM.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              The current sustainers are made by another company. I'm having a brain cramp on the name at the moment, but they are no longer made by Floyd Rose. Yes, the sustainer is a Floyd Rose designed unit originally used by Kramer (Called the Baretta Infinity Sustainer).
              They're still using the Floyd Rose Rev C schematic, but the board level components are slightly different. (I repair them btw).

You may want to break out PH00 size plastic tip phillips head screw driver and adjust the two trim pots on the board.
              One is for gain (middle of the board), the other is for intensity level (edge of the board). Cranking the gain up will make it squeal and cranking the intensity level up too high will eat batteries.

You can do this without removing the board as there are two pass thru holes you can use.
              This is how they dial them in on the bench.
              Woah, you totally blew my mind. I never knew Floyd Rose manufactured the sustainer pick up! I always thought it was Jackson who made them based off of the Sustaniac pickup. I think I am going to keep the new guitars sustainer the way it is. It gives a little bit of character between my old PC1 and the new one. The more I've been playing the more it's growing on me.

On another subject I'm contemplating on upgrading the bridge saddles to titanium ones much like how Phil has on his guitars, has anyone here done this?

Comment

If I leave the guitar chord plugged in while the sustainer is switched off and the amp is turned off as well, will it still eat up the batteries?

Comment

Yes, you'll kill the batteries with it plugged in. Always unplug the cord when not playing.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Yes, you'll kill the batteries with it plugged in. Always unplug the cord when not playing.
                    Thanks dude, that would explain the fresh batteries not lasting as long as they should. So I noticed my old Jackson PC1 without being plugged in the sustainer would work if the toggle switch was set to "on" on the new one if the toggle switch is set to on unplugged nothing happens. So i assumed that I could have the guitar plugged in so long as the switch was off.

Apparently not

Comment

Working...
                    X