No announcement yet.

Help improving speed and accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And no, my pinky doesn't hurt at all. I guess I've just got used to holding it this way.
    My other signature says something funny

Comment

• Cool to hear keep moving forward Cliff!

@Blackhatch Very good playing in the video you posted.

On my side, I "embarked" in Ola Englund's 14 days challenge 3 days. Being at day 4 right now. I was scared to publish my progress... As I've seen some folks out there playing Ola's riff at blistering speeds.

However, I'm still in turtle league and managed to reach 135 bpm (with some clams here and there).

I'm targeting 150 bpm at the end of the 14 days. Will I succeed? I don't know but I'm having fun and this forces me to keep trying to push the enveloppe every day.

This morning I even tried at 144 bpm just to see. Could not keep up cleanly but was close.

Open to feedback and comments on how I can improve my picking hand.

JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

• Sounds great BenoA! Very clean at 130. Is the idea that you keep cranking up the speed every day? Let’s know how it goes.

Comment

• Yes. Goal is to practice during 14 days and improve!

Day 1, I was at 115 bpm... Yesterday for Day 4, I could not do better than 130. I tried 140 bpm but my playing didn't stay clean for more than a run. Try it out for fun. I do like 15 to 30 minutes a day on it (including video shooting). The goal is set on day 1 was to reach in between 140-150 bpm. I'm getting closer.
          JB aka BenoA

Comment

• For myself, I'm still really reluctant to chase the metronome again. I feel like it did me a fair bit of harm in terms of pushing the speed before I was ready, and so I just learnt sloppy playing.

Comment

• Cliff, don't give up on the metronome. Make it your friend! I have noticed lately that my speed may not have really improved but my timing does.

You should have it clicking all the time when you practice. And don't be worried by using a slow speed at first just to get used to it. As an example, I had posted a few weeks ago about Uncle Ben's 1234 exercise. When I started working on it, I had to set the metronome at 55. Now, on my good days, I can do it in between 110-115. And normal days are at 100.

Trust me, you won't regret it. Rock on!
              JB aka BenoA

Comment

• You make a good point about using it to improve timing. I definitely need to incorporate for at least part of my routine. Oh how I wish I was young with time on my hands....

Comment

• There is a right way or a wrong to use a metronome but with out it?

I got experience enough to know in a band situation that if a drummer does not have good timing he is no good. So when I got my drum kit I naturally got a metronome to get it tight and install the correct playing habits as repating over and over gets into your subconscious mind that stores your habits.

Back to guitar skills the first pages and a bit of picking ex from Speed Mechanics really sits at 168 bpm and down picking too. I got focused and dialed in those ex legato etc. on my partscaster raising the bpm 5 levels up when it got to feel that it was feeling like it was sitting every time then up with the bpm to start feel comfortable enough there and so on.

Currently I am working on the intro to Dyers Eve by Metallica. In order to get picking right which I have never done before I start at 80bpm and all the way to the 194 the song is recorded at for that part. Now it sits at 100 bpm. Did the same with verse riff in Disposable heroes which has some weird picking.

Down-Down- up- down - down-down- down- down-up-down-up Try that!

If you get it down you can pick up the guitar and fly trough the fastest crazy stuff witout warming up as such. Don't be afraid to raise it but grow with the metronome
                  What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

• 168bpm? That sounds really cool. I'd love to see a video!

Comment

• Well it is fun being able to play what you want to regardless of the speed.

I am currently busy getting my business of the ground so part of the income will be for the missing power amp and speaker. I don't have an amp before that just my Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp which has the tones I always wanted so I want to complete my new rig first. I play unplugged but I can hear the click better that way.

So a few months I think before it comes to that and then I can do videos.

Comment

• Open to comments/feedback... Stuck at 150-155 bpm. Do you see something wrong? Or is it as simple as just keeping pushing my speed limit?

JB aka BenoA

Comment

• That sounds great! That's a fantastic gain in a short space of time. I'm afraid I can't see anything you're doing wrong. You mentioned earlier, when you were at a slower speed that you could only break the limit for a single run. I wonder if that means it's a question of building more stamina in the left hand? (I mention this, because I noticed something similar for me with one of the Stetina licks I've been playing for years.)

RR2772: too bad about the amp situation. Good luck with the business, and hopefully you'll be completing that rig soon.

Comment

• Thanks Cliff. Stuck at 150-155 bpm at the moment. I'll keep pushing.

What Stetina lick were you working on?
                            JB aka BenoA

Comment

• RR2772: too bad about the amp situation. Good luck with the business, and hopefully you'll be completing that rig soon.[/QUOTE]

Just got an idea of what to build the Quad preamp into so it's going to be similar to this:

Comment

• Things are moving along. Just got a highbid for a Rockman midi octoplus with original foot switch board. The Quad has 8 out puts for channel switch and finding something that works I had yet to figure out and the octoplus can do it. I also managed to find a 295 for sale here in Denmark a 220 voltage version so I will get it in about 4 weeks. Just need the SE-70 but on Ebay there is plenty. The Quad has a zillion sounds and I really look forward to hear it again.

This short video inspired me to dublicate it and a good rig to work with.

I just need to decide on cabinets and get them also.

Comment

Working...
                                X