emg 85 vs 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emg 85 vs 60

which one would u use for bridge? i have these 2 pickups and i feel like the 60 mix better than the 85 which sounds fatter, let me know your opinion, here's a demo clip of a metal song im recording

first half is the 85 and the second half the 60

https://soundcloud.com/pure-metal/85-60a/s-vl1gD

Last edited by blackhatch; 01-03-2019, 06:50 PM.
    [SoUnDcLoUd]

85b 60n is how I would put them.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      85b 60n is how I would put them.
      Same here. I had the 85/60 combo in my old Dinky for many years and loved the sound.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I was listening to that sound byte correctly (should have a pause between the two pickups), I thought the 85 played first sounded better. The 60 played second seemed to get lost in the lix a little.

Most people put the higher output 85 in the bridge and the lower output 60 in the neck.

Comment

If you put that 60 in the bridge, you better drop that 85 so far in the cavity, it'll meet James Cameron diving for the Titanic
          The 85 will overpower the 60 by a country mile (it will overpower the 81 as well)

If you ask me, the only thing working in the bridge with an 85 in the neck, is another 85

You might get away with a 60 Bridge / 81 neck-combo, but your current idea is not one I'd recommend

I have a 81b/60n Ibanez, and a 85b/81n BC rich
          That BCR came with 81b/85n setup and I really had to swap the p'ups because it was close to impossible to balance the outputs of them in those positions

PS: If you kept the amp settings the same for that clip, it'd be no surprise it would favor one of the pickups and working detrimental to the sound of the other
          Last edited by Nightbat; 01-05-2019, 07:27 PM.
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I run 81 Bridge/60 Neck i feel the 60 is warmer than the 85

Comment

Originally posted by Startingline View Post
              I run 81 Bridge/60 Neck i feel the 60 is warmer than the 85
              It is warm but not as much output at the 85, which is why the 85b/60n is usually the preferred neck pickup, or an 81 or 89 in the neck position.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

"This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed"

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  It is warm but not as much output at the 85, which is why the 85b/60n is usually the preferred neck pickup, or an 81 or 89 in the neck position.
                  Yeah, if people insist in using some other EMG than the 85 in the bridge, putting an 85 in the neck is not an option
                  (Or willing to live with with the discrepancy in output)
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I never had any problem balancing output with EMGs, even when I got my first guitar with them that had the 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck. I just prefer the sound of the 85 in the bridge and got it to work fine with the 81 or 60 in the neck.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I love both the 81 and 85 in the bridge depending on the signal chain and such. I have a new 85 in the box waiting to go in something. Maybe my Charvel Star.

Comment

Working...
                      X