1B, 2B, 3B...What is the Difference??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1B, 2B, 3B...What is the Difference??

I already own a Jackson PS-5 and now I just bought a Charvel 3B from Amimbari (one of the guys here on the forums) This thing is GUNNA BE AWESOME!!! I was just wanting to know..what is the difference between the 1B, 2B, and 3B? Thanks guys. I am excited to be making my own Jackson/ Charvel collection.

Calvin
    sigpic

Just a guess but maybe the 1b is a single pup bolt on, the 2b 2 pup bolt on and the 3b is a neck thru 2 pup.
    Gil

Comment

yup. Plus the 1 has a maple fretboard & the 3 has active electronics (IIRC)
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Yep all true.

1B-bolt on, maple fingerboard, P pickup, passive vol/tone. 2B-P/J pickups, passive vol/vol/tone (correct me if I'm wrong, amimbari or someone), bolt-on, rosewood board. 1B and 2B have the same body shape. 3B is neck through with a preamp, pickup selector, and has larger tuners than all of the others (which I like more). 4B has the same body shape and preamp and pickups as the 3B, but it's bolt on with tuners like the 1B or 2B.

So did you get his red one? You're gonna love it, man.
        From here on the nightmare only gets worse...

Comment

one picture is worth 1000 words right?

model 1,2,3,4 ( and now I must take another pic of a model 3 because the red one was sold to F.Fury. )

model 1+2 have a different body than the 3+4.
          model 1 is the only one that came with a OEM maple fretboard.
          model 3+4 have preamps 1+2 do not.
          model 3 is the only NT.

http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Originally posted by Chowderboots View Post
            Yep all true.

1B-bolt on, maple fingerboard, P pickup, passive vol/tone. 2B-P/J pickups, passive vol/vol/tone (correct me if I'm wrong, amimbari or someone), bolt-on, rosewood board. 1B and 2B have the same body shape. 3B is neck through with a preamp, pickup selector, and has larger tuners than all of the others (which I like more). 4B has the same body shape and preamp and pickups as the 3B, but it's bolt on with tuners like the 1B or 2B.

So did you get his red one? You're gonna love it, man.
            close.....

not VVT but VBT, and the tuners on the model3 are the large opengear, all others get the small sealed tuners.

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
              close.....

not VVT but VBT, and the tuners on the model3 are the large opengear, all others get the small sealed tuners.
              Aah hah. Thanks. Only played one once...I wonder how that passive bass control works?

That's what I meant about the tuners. I love the look and feel of the ones on the 3B! They look perfect on that headstock.

Comment

I forgot one more thing :idea:

that is if you look at the knob spacing, the 2,3 are the same, and the 1,4 are wider spaced....

Comment

How about that...

Comment

having a picture is always a bonus, cause as long as I have had these things, I never really bothered to look at knob spacing, unless the spacing changed between years somehow. I know the control covers for the 1-2 are smaller than the 3-4 but I always thought it was due to them mounting the preamp inside. Then they used the 3b body with the skinny horns and large control cover on almost every unit made past the 80's ...I dunno, I just play em, I didn't create them, but I'm glad someone did :ROTF:

Comment

OK....I have read the threads and have learned alot about the different bass models. But I recently purchased a Charvel bass at a yard sale and have no idea which model it is. It has P/J pups (three total) passive volume and tone controls with a 3-way switch between them. It has the large "toothpaste" Charvel logo on the head with a bolt on neck. I took it apart to clean it up and peaked under the neck for the model number. All I found was "L-5" stamped on the neck. It is a great bass. I cleaned it up and adjusted the bridge and added a set of GHS Boomers and it sounds great! The previous owner did not have any info other than to say he paid $600 for it new in 1993...he played it for a couple of years and then decided he liked playing the drums more. He said the bass has been untouched under his bed for the last 15 years. It has two dings on the body that he had touched up and you really can't see them...you actually feel them before you see them. The body is a dark graphite metalic color. The metal neck plate on the back has the Charvel "guitar" shaped logo with serial number 354821. The two center (offset) pick ups and the back (bridge) pickup all have the small toothpaste Charvel name on them. I have played this bass thru Riffworks and it sounds really good considering I only payed $55 for it.

Can anyone offer any info on this bass?

....fully prepared....forward deployed....first to fight...US Marines.

Comment

no offense partner, but one picture would tell a whole lot more than your paragraph that describes just about every unit they ever made.....but as a guess, you have a 89 Charvel 575 Deluxe...

does it look like this one of mine?
                        forget the fact it has a Kramer neck on it......
                        Last edited by amimbari; 06-18-2010, 08:55 AM. Reason: added picture

Comment

That's true. a picture would have saved alot of typing. I took this tonight. Is this an 89 575 Deluxe?

Last edited by Firefyte; 06-18-2010, 09:55 PM. Reason: add photo

....fully prepared....forward deployed....first to fight...US Marines.

Comment

that is indeed a 575, 1989 - 1990 something like that, and new in 93? perhaps if it was sitting somewhere for a while in a case until they finally sold it at whatever store he bought it from. That color to me is very cool as I'm into "off the cuff" colors.

( the guitar players here also play some of the coolest basses I've seen in a long time ), but to save you some time trying to find a full pic here 's a recent one of most of them:

What can I say -- I'm into Kramers and Jacksons

The red one I showed is actually a 2b, but when I got it someone took the blend knob out and put a switch, so it looks like a 575 for a comparison pic.

As far as what yours is, nothing different. poplar body, nice wood maple neck, good electronics j-20 p and j150 j pickups. Think of yours as the predecessor of the ConcertEX because it was, just with a Charvel logo on it . 599.95 when new, well uh, your guy paid retail for it.

today it would fetch 200 or so.
                            Last edited by amimbari; 06-19-2010, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Warrior Bass! :headbang:

How does it balance? Nosedive with a nylon strap when you let go of the neck?
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X