Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quality of Indonesian Jacksons vs. old school MIJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You also have to consider that 3 different companies have made Jacksons in Indonesia. Wildwood, Cort and Samick. At some point Wildwood used to make most X-Series and all Pro-Series. Once Jackson dropped Wildwood, Cort ended up with all X-Series and Samick with all Pro Series. Now Cort gets to make some Pros as well. In my limited experience, I would consider X-Series by Wildwood to be very good. Something happened with their Pro models though, at some point Jackson decided to "recall" them and they ended up as "refurbished" instruments even though no repairs were made to them. Cort's X-Series are a bit more iffy. Not sure about their Pro models. The Pro guitars made by Samick are very solid guitars.

In the end all these Asian companies can manufacture excellent guitars, if they want to...and if their customers are willing to pay for it. And that's probably the issue. I can easily see FMIC imposing a price they want to pay, well below what the Asians ask. As a result the Asians cut corners in things like QC, end up shipping a guitar here and there they shouldn't have. Another factor is the specs that Jackson requests. One thing that bugs me is the inconsistency in fret wire in the different Jacksons that I have which is an important factor how a guitar feels and plays.

Comment

^ How would u tell which X series is made in which shop? The seller also likely wouldn't be able to tell u that either.

Also, after much thinking it kinda occurs to me even if country "doesn't matter" That I can almost always get a HIGHER TIER guitar from MIJ used for the same money compared to buying a new MII.
      The build quality will be better as its going to be a higher tier. For the money, and the tried and true insurance of decades of MIJ trust, i think I know what my choice is.

Comment

Indo serials often have headstock stickers. The letter prefix determines the country.
        IWxxxxxxxx-Wildwood
        ISxxxxxxxx-Samick
        ICxxxxxxxx-Cort

Something tells me there's a fourth.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
          Indo serials often have headstock stickers. The letter prefix determines the country.
          IWxxxxxxxx-Wildwood
          ISxxxxxxxx-Samick
          ICxxxxxxxx-Cort

Something tells me there's a fourth.
          Oh yea, you're the serial number encyclopedia guy. I should have asked u!
          So if there's some stunning deal on one of these good factory models I'll just take it. Thanks!

Edit: just checked around, no good deals for soloists, or the Mij's are only slightly more.
          Last edited by DanzoStrife; 06-17-2017, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Prices on 2012-present used Indonesian and Mexican models are generally much higher than MIJ used. MIJ's can be had in North America any day for $300-400...even MUCH less.

I rarely see an Indo or Mexican pro below $500, except for the occasional Indo X series. Even the Indo X series rarely go below $400 used from my experience. The prices will eventually drop to MIJ prices in my opinion.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Though, the bolt on MIJ's are $300ish, neck thru MIJ's are still $5-700 ballpark. Since Indo pros are generally neck thru, that makes the used prices more comparable between Indo/MIJ neck thrus.

But, MIJ DK2's can be had for $300-350 easily, but a used Mexican DK2 below $450 isn't something I see often, if at all.

Comment

I would almost go as far as to say the MIM Jackson's are rare in comparison to the MIJ in the used market. That's one reason why their used prices are higher. This is for a couple of reasons, I think.

1 is that they haven't been produced as long as the MIJ lines were.
                And
                2 because they aren't as popular. Jackson is not a hot guitar brand currently. People aren't really buying them, so they aren't selling them either.

I got my first Jackson, a DK2M, in, I want to say 2009, maybe 2010, for $400. I got my second DK2M in 2011 for $375. There's currently a DKMG, with OFR and case for sale local-ish to me for $275. Looks to be in great shape. Was at $225 for at least a month without a single comment, he added a case and upped it $50 a few weeks ago and has had 3 comments but last I looked it was still available. Nobody is interested in Jackson. I think metal in general is in a big slump right now. Metal amps have been getting a similar treatment, though not to that extreme.

As far as the Indonesian x series, all the neck through Jackson's keep their value a whole lot more. But yeah, $400 is about as low as they typically go, you can get a pretty nice one for that though. The lowest I've seen MIJ SLS' go is about $400 as well, but that's for one that's been beat to hell.
                Last edited by TKEblue; 06-17-2017, 06:01 PM.
                I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

I wouldn't say that no one is interested in Jacksons. The thing is that there's no shortage of used MIJ out there, always has and will continue for a while. Many people opt for new guitars though. And the competition there is very stiff. ESP/LTD and Ibanez are much more aggressive when it comes to marketing and especially endorsements. So yeah, I don't see Jackson reaching 80s early 90s popularity again (neither is metal as a whole) and that's fine. They've got to get their strategy together and work closer with their manufacturers to get consistent quality. With Mansoor, Beaulieu, and Davidson they do have some important artists to appeal to the younger crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post
                    Catz: That's good man Which model was it? A JS beginner model or something else? What year was it?
                    It's been so long. I think the MF mag listed it as JDR-Rev Pro. I bought it new in 99' or 2000.

Comment

I've had several '90-'94 MIJ neckthrough Pros - Soloist, KV, Warriors, Collen Archtops - and I've had both a USA and MIJ Warrior from the same year at the same time and compared them directly.
                      Every MIJ Pro was identical in terms of build quality.

I've had several USA bolt-ons, mostly Dinkys, and I've had a couple I couldn't get along with because there was something "off" about them I couldn't quite nail down or correct, even after hardware swaps.

I've had USA neckthroughs that, for various reasons, I could not seem to bond with, despite their build quality being unquestionable, including Custom Shop models (JCF01 and 02, PCS RR, SD Soloist, KV-2, WR-1, at least).

I've got 4 MIJ JacksonStars NASLs that each feel like different guitars. I had one I could not get along with, even after replacing the hardware and electronics, which was something it really did not need as it came with a Schaller and Duncans.

I've got an Indonesian neckthrough KV (the one with alumiloid inlays) that is every bit as good as the USA KV2T hanging next to it, and they are the only Jackson Vs I've been able to get along with aside from my old KV-3.
                      I've got 2 Monarkh Pros that are identical in build and feel, and which I was able to compare directly against an original Collen Archtop Pro, and found them to be equal in craftsmanship.

Maybe I got lucky 3 times out of 3, but I know that's not possible. These are good guitars.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        I've got an Indonesian neckthrough KV (the one with alumiloid inlays) that is every bit as good as the USA KV2T hanging next to it.
                        The arrogant, senseless cunts on facebook calling every Jackson made outside the US 'firewood' would disagree wholeheartedly with this.
                        Though...it's the 'arrogant, senseless' part of their personalities that keeps their heads up their asses.

Comment

Firewood? Um that is surely going too far. My last luthier (who did a shitty job) had the same opinion and said if its not made in the USA it's gonna be difficult to deal with and not a good guitar. He left my guitar to buzz everywhere and said everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            I've had several '90-'94 MIJ neckthrough Pros - Soloist, KV, Warriors, Collen Archtops - and I've had both a USA and MIJ Warrior from the same year at the same time and compared them directly.
                            Every MIJ Pro was identical in terms of build quality.

I've had several USA bolt-ons, mostly Dinkys, and I've had a couple I couldn't get along with because there was something "off" about them I couldn't quite nail down or correct, even after hardware swaps.

I've had USA neckthroughs that, for various reasons, I could not seem to bond with, despite their build quality being unquestionable, including Custom Shop models (JCF01 and 02, PCS RR, SD Soloist, KV-2, WR-1, at least).

I've got 4 MIJ JacksonStars NASLs that each feel like different guitars. I had one I could not get along with, even after replacing the hardware and electronics, which was something it really did not need as it came with a Schaller and Duncans.

I've got an Indonesian neckthrough KV (the one with alumiloid inlays) that is every bit as good as the USA KV2T hanging next to it, and they are the only Jackson Vs I've been able to get along with aside from my old KV-3.
                            I've got 2 Monarkh Pros that are identical in build and feel, and which I was able to compare directly against an original Collen Archtop Pro, and found them to be equal in craftsmanship.

Maybe I got lucky 3 times out of 3, but I know that's not possible. These are good guitars.
                            Interesting. All I know from personal experience is that among those I've played, my MIJ Soloist Pro will eat any MII's lunch, and then take its milk money for tomorrow. May have to check them out again, although I'm good on Charvel/Jackson at the moment anyway.

It was very depressing in the mid '90s when Jackson/metal in general fell out of favor and they had to go cheapie to survive as a brand. I know they've recovered tremendously since then, but I haven't found any new non MIJ imports that are as good as my early '90s MIJs yet. The old school MIJs are close enough to the USAs that I don't worry about it at all.
                            '95 Charvel San Dimas USA Model I Koa - BKP
                            '91 Charvel 650 Custom - EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
                            '92 Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
                            '91 Charvel 475 Exotic Cherry Sunburst - Duncan PATB set
                            '90 Charvel 475 XL
                            '10 Charvel San Dimas MIJ Style 1 2H - JB/'59
                            Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp/Stereo Simul-Class 2:90
                            Mesa Boogie MkIII+ Simul-Class & MkIVb with Mark Series stack
                            Marshall JVM410H

Comment

Originally posted by DanzoStrife View Post
                              My last luthier (who did a shitty job) had the same opinion and said if its not made in the USA it's gonna be difficult to deal with and not a good guitar. He left my guitar to buzz everywhere and said everything is fine.

I've had just as many USA as import Jacksons that had material and construction issues. Everyone mass produces at least one bad guitar out of several thousands. It is an inherent property of mass production.

However, to denounce the quality of an entire line because of a few bad apples is astoundingly childish and uneducated.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Holy thread resurrection.

I need a third guitar and since I have an RR1 and a KE3Pro (MIJ) I wanted to add a KV of some sort - Ideally KV5 - so that I have a complete arsenal. Now, It looks like the KV5 MIJ is ultra-rare and commands big money. Or I could buy a new KVXMG for way less.

KVX is still a neck-through guitar, possibly well built and so on but I do suffer from the Indonesia stigma. My MIJ Kelly is a phenomenal guitar. Not sure if anything outside of Japan compares at that price level?

What is the consensus on here?

Thanks for reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X