'86 San Dimas soloist dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    The five-way switch was used in 1986. The gunmetal gray Soloist here is from a long-time JCF member and is an '86.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]9991[/ATTACH]
    Thank you toejam. I appreciate the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      The trem is not original, nor is it "time correct".

The nut and lock could be original.

A 5-way switch could be original, being that these guitars were typically 'ordered' instead of mass produced cookie cutters. But, your friend is correct, the 'standard' of the time was not a 5-way. If this was originally SSS, it was definitely ordered by someone and would make sense that a 5-way would be there. However, because I see the wood instead of red inside the 5 way switch, I would think that it was added later.

I question the date/factory even though it is on the Jackson website. The presence of an R on the headstock means that this was after the IMC deal. That, if memory serves, means it was Ontario.
      Thank you for the response pianoguyy. The inside cavity is definitely all red. If it looks otherwise it's just picture glaring. - (SFV edited) Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the guts. You are right, looking into the switch from the front, the wood is exposed.
      I looked at the previous post pic that toejam included: an '86 soloist with a 5-way. I couldn't tell for sure because of the resolution, but it seems there's a hint of white in the channel. Might that imply that the cutouts in both guitars were made after the paint, and it was the original build?
      Last edited by SFV; 12-03-2018, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EntrailsOfU View Post
        If the guitar had the jt6 from the factory, an original floyd will fit in that space. I have replaced a jt6 on a charvel with an original floyd with flawless results. The schaller is the same spacing as a floyd so I believe that would also retro fit if logic serves me?
        I said the JT6 studs themselves were wider than a Floyd/Schaller's. I wasn't referencing the spacing between the studs for the bridge. To replace JT6 studs with those modern Floyd/Schaller versions, you'd have to dowel the existing, wider holes and redrill for the new, smaller-width inserts.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          I said the JT6 studs themselves were wider than a Floyd/Schaller's. I wasn't referencing the spacing between the studs for the bridge. To replace JT6 studs with those modern Floyd/Schaller versions, you'd have to dowel the existing, wider holes and redrill for the new, smaller-width inserts.
          Ah yes, this makes more sense. Looking again, those are definitely NOT jt6 studs.

Comment

Originally posted by SFV View Post
            (SFV edited) Sorry, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the guts. You are right, looking into the switch from the front, the wood is exposed.
            Right, that, not the cavity.

Comment

I have the log sheet for this guitar....it came originally with a Kahler Traditional Fulcrum bridge. Log date 08/25/86, fire engine red, shipped to Guitar Center San Francisco.
              "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post
                I have the log sheet for this guitar....it came originally with a Kahler Traditional Fulcrum bridge. Log date 08/25/86, fire engine red, shipped to Guitar Center San Francisco.
                That's incredible the log sheet still exists. I really appreciate your post. Can I assume the 5-way switch was original? The lock nut?

Comment

very cool, i have J2352 8/21/86.

Originally posted by msaint65 View Post

Comment

Working...
                  X