Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '86 San Dimas soloist dilemma

Hi folks, I'm a new member...

I have a Jackson '86 soloist, S/N J2357 (San Dimas). There're questions about what's original on it, and if anything on it isn't. I understand there are people on this forum that actually worked at San Dimas and may even have log sheets of the guitar build. An amazing thought.
    I've attached pics and I would appreciate someone's expertise on this guitar. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by SFV; 11-29-2018, 07:38 PM.

I don't think they used the Schaller/JT-590 trem back in '86 or those pivot posts.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

no definitely not that bridge is newer than 86.
      Love the S/S/S config though
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Those strings!!

Comment

Yeah, the bridge and string lock are not original.
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

String lock might be original, if it originally came with a Kahler two-point traditional fulcrum tremolo. I’ve seen a few 3 tite Soloists done that way. That was probably modified to the Schaller later.

Comment

Didn't the Jackson Pot Metal Special, oops, I mean the JT-6, come with that same Kahler-style string lock? Or was the JT-6 not around in 1986?
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I believe JT6 studs would’ve been wider than those Floyd inserts, so not likely.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                  Didn't the Jackson Pot Metal Special, oops, I mean the JT-6, come with that same Kahler-style string lock? Or was the JT-6 not around in 1986?
                  The string lock body was similar/the same, but the big screws that could be moved with a coin was the JT6 look. The kahler locks mostly used a smallish allen wrench, but a few worked with a manual lever / push lock. The JT6 started appearing in 87.
                  Popular is not the same as good
                  Rare is not the same as valuable
                  Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thank you all for the comments.
                    So the Schaller JT-590 is not original. The lock nut might be original.
                    How about the 5-way switch? I attached a pic. Hope that helps.

Comment

Not sure if the switch is original, but what does that matter? Switches and pots can go bad after awhile and need to be eventually replaced, so no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Not sure if the switch is original, but what does that matter? Switches and pots can go bad after awhile and need to be eventually replaced, so no big deal.
                        I'm trying to sell the guitar. A buyer was saying the 5-way switch wasn't used in '86, I guess implying it was converted from 2/3 toggles or whatever? Sounded crazy to me, but I wanted to give him a knowledgeable response.

Comment

The five-way switch was used in 1986. The gunmetal gray Soloist here is from a long-time JCF member and is an '86.
                          https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/13...ight=1986+tite

gmg.jpg

Comment

The trem is not original, nor is it "time correct".

The nut and lock could be original.

A 5-way switch could be original, being that these guitars were typically 'ordered' instead of mass produced cookie cutters. But, your friend is correct, the 'standard' of the time was not a 5-way. If this was originally SSS, it was definitely ordered by someone and would make sense that a 5-way would be there. However, because I see the wood instead of red inside the 5 way switch, I would think that it was added later.

I question the date/factory even though it is on the Jackson website. The presence of an R on the headstock means that this was after the IMC deal. That, if memory serves, means it was Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              I believe JT6 studs would’ve been wider than those Floyd inserts, so not likely.
                              If the guitar had the jt6 from the factory, an original floyd will fit in that space. I have replaced a jt6 on a charvel with an original floyd with flawless results. The schaller is the same spacing as a floyd so I believe that would also retro fit if logic serves me?

Comment

Working...
                              X