Jackson Performer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Performer help

Recently back in March my grandfather passed away and he left me this guitar and I have no idea anything about it or hardly anything about guitars. It's a Jackson performer and I know its brand new because it was buried in his closet, also this is a right-handed guitar and he was left-handed. The past two months I've been getting into playing and I've really enjoyed it and I'm wondering if this guitar is worth keeping. Even if it isn't its still a pretty bitch'n guitar. If you guys could help me out and let me know anything about it that would be awesome. Here are some pics:

Last edited by GracesonJ; 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM. Reason: I forgot the pics lmao

It is a PS-4, which is probably the most desirable of the Performer line.
    Performers are 20 years old, and they would be the cheapest guitars of the Jackson line. Something equivalent to the Squier or Maestro lines from Fender or Gibson.

Is it worth keeping?
    Well, it certainly isn't worth selling. So, you might as well keep it.

For local sales (such as Craigslist), you could sell it semi-quickly for $100. Or you could hold out for $200 if you want to wait.
    The global/internet sales prices vary and change on a daily basis. And since this one looks like it hasn't been touched, it may be able to bring a few more dollars than others.

But, no, you did not find a 56 Les Paul in the closet. You aren't going to buy a new car from the sale, won't even be able to make a used car payment.

**EDIT**
    You could maybe add $50 because that does seem to be a "better than what is typically seen" case.
    Last edited by pianoguyy; 07-12-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GracesonJ View Post
      also this is a right-handed guitar and he was left-handed
      Many left-handed/ambidextrous people play guitar right-handed. So, unless you saw him play left-handed guitar...

Comment

Okay thanks man.

Comment

I've owned several.
          Serial number indicates it was made in Japan.
          Solid guitar. Trem and pickups are Ok, but the rest is well built.
          -Rick

Comment

Personally I would be happy owning a Japanese Jackson Performer over any of the current student/budget guitars like the JS Series... and I LIKE the JS Series!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              Personally I would be happy owning a Japanese Jackson Performer over any of the current student/budget guitars like the JS Series... and I LIKE the JS Series!
              Exactly!!

Comment

I'm a lefty who plays righty so it's more common than you think.

I'm sorry, but anything my Gramps owned that was given to me is for someone to dispose of when I'm dead and gone. I'd hang onto it for just the memory alone myself. To me it would be cool as hell to jam on a reverse head stock Jackson that your Grandpa jammed on.

Comment

I used to own a PS-4 and I was dumb and sold it, it was a much cooler guitar than I thought it was at the time and your Grandpa's looks like it's in great condition. As people mention in the thread it'S a Japanese built Jackson with decent hardware and electronics, if you look after it that guitar will last you a life time.

If I could buy back the PS-4 I sold (and the Concept JDX-94) I would, and I have 3 bolt-ons from the 92-95.

Comment

They were more intermediate level, between entry level JS and Pro series.
                    $600+ ballpark MSRP, so probably sold for $400ish back then.

The market is flooded with guitars that aren't selling, so you can find them cheaper than they're worth. The construction has the potential to be A-1 since it was made in the same factory as the Pro models.

I'd say it's actually worth $300 in great shape. In a perfect world, even a tad more if it lives up to it's potential.
                    I'd put that serial at '98-'99. The neck pocket would have date stamps if you're curious.
                    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

All it needs is probably a good set up. I agree with Mudlark's assessment.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if the Japanese "Jackson Performer" series guitars were manufactured in the same factory as the "Jackson Professional" series?
                        I am aware that there was a later issue from Korea, and the quality was not quite the same level as the Japanese versions.

I own a 94 King V Professional and a 96 Rhodes Professional, and I am about to purchase a 96 Kelly Performer.

Just looking for some insight regarding the expected quality.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sub-Zero View Post
                          Can anyone tell me if the Japanese "Jackson Performer" series guitars were manufactured in the same factory as the "Jackson Professional" series?
                          I am aware that there was a later issue from Korea, and the quality was not quite the same level as the Japanese versions.

I own a 94 King V Professional and a 96 Rhodes Professional, and I am about to purchase a 96 Kelly Performer.

Just looking for some insight regarding the expected quality.

Thanks in advance.
                          Yes... same factory... same workers.
                          Construction is on par with the Professionals. It's the hardware and electronics that are lower quality.
                          -Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick!
                            Now.... to find a 90s Warrior!
                            Why are they so damn elusive?

Comment

Originally posted by Sub-Zero View Post
                              Thanks Rick!
                              Now.... to find a 90s Warrior!
                              Why are they so damn elusive?
                              Yes.....never see them. Only can stare at the catalog page
                              Im with you. I want one bad!

Comment

Working...
                              X