Model 5 Mid boost question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 5 Mid boost question

SO I recently picked up a 1987 model 5. It has the mid boost board in it but im trying to figure out if someone has hacked it up of if its factory. Every one I have ever seen has 3 pots. This one has 2 pots and a 3 way switch where the 3rd pot would be (still has 5 way selector switch) I did read somewhere that some of them came with a 3 way switch, but I have never seen one or can I find a picture of one. any info out there??

Can't say that I remember seeing a model 5 like you are describing yours. Sounds like someone modified it. Post up some pics so we can look it over.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyryche View Post
      Can't say that I remember seeing a model 5 like you are describing yours. Sounds like someone modified it. Post up some pics so we can look it over.
      Yeah I'm thinking the same thing too. But if you read the description on this website it makes me think it might have been an option. https://www.axebition.com/electric-g...harvel-model-5

I'll get some pics this evening.

Comment

After reading that again I think they are meaning it only has 2 knobs and a 3 way selector switch.

Comment

So now the real question. Value wise for the guitar would it be better to get it back to factory spec. Or just yank out all the mid boost stuff and include it with the guitar if I ever sell it?

Comment

Value wise it doesn't matter. What matters is that you like how the guitar sounds.

I've put the active electronics back together in a few Charvels. It's a coin toss. Half of me hates dealing with batteries, but the other have likes the cool tones I get.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Value wise it doesn't matter. What matters is that you like how the guitar sounds.

I've put the active electronics back together in a few Charvels. It's a coin toss. Half of me hates dealing with batteries, but the other have likes the cool tones I get.

My thing is I just got this guitar and it has no output with the hacked up wiring job that was done to it. So I have no idea what it would sound like with the electronics. I straight wired the bridge pickup to the volume pot and that j80c is pretty lacking. What does the active mid boost do for it?

Comment

I have a black Model 6 I put back together and used a J80C with the boost. i like it with (thickens the mids) and without the boost, although even with the boost turned down, it still buffers and that helps the output.

Maybe your amp or pedals need help? The J80C is sort of a lighter output Duncan Custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
                  What does the active mid boost do for it?
                  First, we still haven't confirmed what you have. So, really, who knows what yours does.
                  But, I will say this...

About 5 years ago I replaced my entire rig (which was 25-30 years old) with some modern technology. My JE-1200 guitars sounded awesome with the old rig. I could tell a huge difference when engaging the circuit. One of the most beautiful sounds I ever heard --- in a 'make your ears bleed' kind of way.
                  But with the new rig, I barely hear any difference between 0 and 10.

The reason I tell you this story is... it is possible that you are in the same boat, where your rig just isn't recognizing it.

**No. The circuit didn't go bad.
                  1. it is on multiple guitars, not one.
                  2. I was running both rigs for a time.
                  Last edited by pianoguyy; 01-11-2019, 07:49 PM.

Comment

ok so this isnt some special model I think the previous owner just rigged up a switch. I ordered 3 new 50k pot and got them soldered in and now im trying to tackle this ridiculous 5 way switch.

Comment

Working...
                    X