Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about the year 1983 in Jackson/Charvel history. I might want a 1983 guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the year 1983 in Jackson/Charvel history. I might want a 1983 guitar.

I am not a San Dimas era expert so just correct me if I say anything incorrect.

What can you tell me about the year 1983 in Jackson/Charvel history? Since it's my birth year, I'm imagining a scenario where it would be nice to own a 1983 guitar from either of these brands I love.

I can only assume I'd be waiting a while for one to appear on the used market for a price that won't bankrupt me, so I won't be heartbroken if I never own one.

What options am I looking at? I'm not talking about Custom vs Student levels of trim... I'm talking about hardware and specs. On the Jackson Archived Catalogs page (https://www.jacksonguitars.com/suppo...hived-catalogs), comparing the 1983 catalog to the 1984 catalog, the 1984 catalog lists all the options available, but the 1983 does not.

I don't think the JT6 came out until later, correct...?

While the 1984 catalog offers a Floyd Rose option, I thought Floyd Rose products were the exclusive domain of Kramer unless you bought a unit from Kramer and sent it to the J/C Custom Shop to fit to your guitar...?

Kahlers and vintage trems seemed more common...?

Some guitars (such as the Rhoads) had TOM bridges, and some also had hardtail bridges...?

I realize it was all one-off individual guitars back then, but if you were to paint a mental picture of a "typical" 1983 guitar, what would it be and what specs would it have?

Thanks!

1983 was way before the JT6 and oversize pickups (that was from 87 basically), and as you said, in that era, Floyds had to be purchased separately.

If you're talking typical rather than rarities: mostly you're looking at vtrem / kahler Charvels - mainly strat body pointy heads but tellys, stars etc were made. Then you'd expect kahler and hardtail Jacksons - mainly Soloists and RRs but other stuff too.
    Last edited by neilli; 10-04-2018, 09:51 AM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

As far as Jacksons go, there weren't many built in 1983. Less than 50 perhaps? And how many of those are still around and for sale?

Comment

Actually, that's a very good point - production really started in 84 so only serials up to J0034 are from 83.
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Well, I guess I'm born too early then.

Comment

You could always get a dealer to convince Jackson to do an '83 spec Jackson neck-thru strat limited CS run.

Not sure if that is what you want. But I'm in!

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
              well, there goes my shot at picking up a '72 Charvel
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                Perhaps you could settle for a Norlin boat anchor Les Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  Same here. We could always find a nice '72 Strat, preferrably a hardtail.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0E11D98B-EA69-4066-A08D-3F24E0B8C3C3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	2448497

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      Perhaps you could settle for a Norlin boat anchor Les Paul?
                      I pulled a muscle in my neck just thinking about it

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Same here. We could always find a nice '72 Strat, preferrably a hardtail.
                      that could totally work. A genuine hardtail would be cool.

I was just trying to think what else I could possibly want from that era. Maybe a Gibson hollowbody? A Gretsch? A Tele Deluxe? Most of the cool shit that I really like didn't happen for another 10+ years.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

1983 is going to be more Charvels than Jacksons by a huge margin. That being said, what folks outlined above are fairly accurate. Mostly V-trem guitars, some with Kahlers. Floyds were an option but only if you sent in a Floyd with your order. Gotta remember that Kramer had Floyd Rose bridges as an exclusive to them. Not many other manufacturers had them as OEM parts then. So factory Floyds were a rarity especially then.

Pickups were usually up to whatever the customer ordered. My 83 has an aftermarket Floyd added later but the pickups appear to be original with a DiMarzio PAF and Duncan Distortion DDJ both in zebra. Necks by that time were mostly pointy headstocks with closer to a D shape versus the more C shape of the Strat heads. I personally love both having played both. To me the pointies feel more comfortable to me. Don’t be put off by the Charvel being a bolt on. They’re tone machines. If you can find one for a good price that’s largely unmolested, go for it. Plain Jane’s (solid single colors, no graphics) go for less usually than the ones with the various graphic design ones.

Comment

This was the best I could get in 1984...

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                            imagine being a 59 or like me a 78. I want a 78 tele, time to sell an organ.
                            no sig.....

Comment

Good luck finding a '68 anything.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X