24hr scallop job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24hr scallop job

AS I was sanding the poly off the back of a Peavey neck, I got a wild hair to also do a scallop job to the neck. I've not done one before and this isn't quite finished but I got most of it done in a day and it didn't turn out to badly I thought. Its a compound scallop which is why it is not the same depth going across the width of the board.

more:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ks/Nov9002.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ks/Nov9005.jpg

Re: 24hr scallop job

That looks pretty good bro.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

thank you...a dremel, a rasp, and a few differing sized dowels with a couple different grits of sandpaper did the lot of it.

Comment

Wow, very deep, malmsteen style.

Whats up with the 18th fret?

Comment

The sandpaper started to go on the dremel and it burned the wood. It still needs some work but I look foward to trying it out. I really tried to leave enough wood for a solid refret should the need arise later.

Comment

I'm not a scallop guy so excuse my ignorance on this subject, but why do they need to be that deep? Seems to me it would feel like dragging your hand up and down a washboard.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I'm not a scallop guy so excuse my ignorance on this subject, but why do they need to be that deep? Seems to me it would feel like dragging your hand up and down a washboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesnt really matter how deep they are, just as long as your fingers arent hitting the wood. and no it doesnt feel like your dragging your hand up and down a washboard. (i used to think this too).
              www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

Most of the depth is on the treble side. The bass side was intentionally left only slightly scalloped.
                When you have the strings on.. you're fretting hand is primarily going over the frets and the strings as stated above. Obviously it requires a different touch,.. overall a much lighter one. Having scallops this deep can also have an advantage for bends and different vibrato techniques.

I have one other scalloped neck here on a guitar that was factory or professionally done, but that one isn't compound.
                I based how I did this off of the recent listings in the classified for the Blackmore Strat. I recall seeing and reading about this before in GP years ago. JGCable mentioned it was a compound scallop on the Blackmore and that just got me thinking along this line.

I initially was thinking along the lines of a partial job down to 10th, but once I got started into the project, I just decided the whole neck is going to get the treatment.

Comment

I never used a scalloped neck before either, but, just based on my personal observation, it would seem me a light touch would be needed/required. To dig in with the fret hand fingers, to me, would seem counter prodouctive, work against you on these type of necks. As I said before I never played one and this just my observation, I'm most likely wrong.
                  I'd love to test drive a scalled neck someday. Around here no stores have any scalloped guitar hanging on the racks.
                  Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

scalloped necks, from my experience with the Blackmore, its an awesome thing indeed. very different from a standard neck.

Comment

I have done a few Malmsteen style scallops both maple and rosewood boards and find them quite comfortable to play on.
                      A light touch is all it takes.I did a Charvel model neck from the 7th thru the 22nd fret and it plays great.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Richard - how is that transitioning from chords and lead fingerings on the non-scalloped part to the scalloped higher frets? is it even noticable?
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I've played scalloped necks in the 80's for a while, they're great but you do need to adjust your grip so you don't press down too hard on chords. I bumped my string gauge up to 10's (was using 9's at the time). I am not sure why Yngwie would use 8's on a scalloped neck? If I were running 8's, I wouldn't need scallops! LOL

It's kind of tough selling a scalloped guitar, so I just refret most of my players with 6100 or 6000 fretwire to give sort of a scalloped feel without doing any irreversable mods.

Comment

FYI - Yngwie uses 10's but switches out the high E with an .008 to save his fingers on tour

Comment

OK, I understand the "lighter touch" thing, as a heavy hand would obviously press the strings out of tune easily, right? If the fretboard wasn't scalloped, that wouldn't be a problem eh? Does the scalloping provide for a cleaner note with less finger pressure? I could kinda understand that theory if you have little short skinny (or worn out) frets, but otherwise I still don't get it.
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X