Guitar soloing live.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar soloing live.....

I play lead guitar in a popular cover band up in Connecticut. I play all the solo's in this 2 guitar band. For the last 2 years I haven't played the traditional "stand alone" guitar solo in any of our shows. This used to be a staple when I played live all through the late 70's, 80's up until the mid 90's when guitar solo's became frowned upon live. Well.. I am bringing them back this Saturday night at our next show. I have planned the following solo. Heartbreaker, Revelation (just the solo part), I'll see the light Tonight solo (just the pedal tone beginning of the solo), Hot for Teacher intro, Eruption (just the tapping), Whole Lotta Love solo, and ending it with a slow to super fast version of the Theme to Benny Hill. Its about 2.5 minutes total. I think I need to start educating our listening audience.

Cool!!!

Try and get a vid if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Frfurter View Post
      Cool!!!

Try and get a vid if possible.
      +1!!! Rock on!!!
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Grab a pog and thump out the riff to Big Bottom in the middle and steal the bass players thunder. ( or if you want to be more obvious, grab his bass and play it on that.)
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Why don't do something original?

Comment

I am a big supporter of the guitar solo. I think it adds another element to the show that you just don't see very often anymore. I honestly believe that the guitar solo was frowned upon by people who could never do it so they decided to hate on it. There are too many bums out there making a living playing "five chords" now days for my taste. Rock on and solo like fuck bro!!!!!!!!
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
              I am a big supporter of the guitar solo. I think it adds another element to the show that you just don't see very often anymore. I honestly believe that the guitar solo was frowned upon by people who could never do it so they decided to hate on it. There are too many bums out there making a living playing "five chords" now days for my taste. Rock on and solo like fuck bro!!!!!!!!
              Seriously lol people are so jealous

Comment

Fuck yeah!
                I like your idea of a planned out composition and keeping it short. If we attempt to bring the solo back, just a flurry of whatever notes, tapping, dive bombs and posing is not going to help the cause. Giving them something they recognize and can relate to is a good strategy.
                I too play in a cover band and we play a few rocking country songs, one of them being Jason Aldean's "Hicktown". I replaced his solo with my version of Dokken "It's Not Love" solo. Most do not notice (or recognize) it but there is always one "Holy Shit dude!" eyes that light up during that moment. Some people still appreciate cool solos.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                  Fuck yeah!
                  I like your idea of a planned out composition and keeping it short. If we attempt to bring the solo back, just a flurry of whatever notes, tapping, dive bombs and posing is not going to help the cause. Giving them something they recognize and can relate to is a good strategy.
                  I too play in a cover band and we play a few rocking country songs, one of them being Jason Aldean's "Hicktown". I replaced his solo with my version of Dokken "It's Not Love" solo. Most do not notice (or recognize) it but there is always one "Holy Shit dude!" eyes that light up during that moment. Some people still appreciate cool solos.
                  Putting Dokken in a country song is totally something I would do too

Comment

PLUS, I start that country song with the riff to Rammstein "Du Hast". Gets them boys going every time. Country guys actually like the heavier stuff. If they had it their way at our shows, we would be playing Pantera, Slayer, and old skool Metallica all night long. Boot scootin' & electric slide crap is over.. at least in the rural areas where I live.

I'm always throwing in some stuff where the timing and structure fits, and it makes a guitar statement. We used to play Neil Young "Rockin in the Free World" regularly. Now, it is just a time filler we sometimes use. I extend the outro solo/noise making/guitar dickery by adding into it the signature Hendrix "Third Stone from the Sun" progression. People recognize it by most do not know from where or who it comes from.

Comment

Rock on dude, sounds awesome!

Comment

8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

UPDATE: My most recent dicking around with classic solos into modern songs is Godsmack "Bad Religion". The song has a "solo" section without a solo. This is where I insert the outro solo of "Iron Man" tuned a whole step lower. Stands out really well since I am the sole guitar player. Some people hear it, but for most it flies over their head and under their legs.

Comment

Working...
                          X