JS-22 Dinky Archtop: A good guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JS-22 Dinky Archtop: A good guitar?

I want another humbucker guitar but I want to go cheap. This guitar sounds excellent for the money. With a compound radius fretboard, 24 frets, two point trem and HH, it's just what i'm looking for. My concern is the trem. I must have a floating trem. If the tuning stability is an issue, I can deal with that like a better nut for example. How is the neck? I like a thin profile and close action. How do the pickups sound? I've heard they are high output but how high I don't know. I can always upgrade parts in the future. Is there anything not to love about this guitar?

The JS2x submodels have vintage tremolos. Not too troublesome if set up well, but if tuning stability is an issue, consider the JS3x submodels. They have double-locking, Jackson-branded Floyd Rose Specials.

The Jackson-branded pickups are made by Belcat, and are surprisingly hot and articulate. Quite good stock pickups. I was impressed with them in my JS32T Rhoads.

Necks have that familiar Jackson feel, and are immediately comfortable. The JS32T Rhoads I owned had consistent fretwork and was so easy to set up for very low action. It played great. If it were a Dinky shape, I would have kept it instead of selling it.

Least expensive guitars with compound radius fretboards available.

Comment

Thanks. I'm not a Floyd fan and the JS-32 is $400 cdn so it won't be an option. If tuning is an issue, then i'll pop a TUSQ XL nut in there and that should do the trick. I have one in my partcaster and it stays in tune. The guitar will be an upgrade project. Eventually i'll change to locking tuners and will probably change the pickups as well, unless the stock pups impress the hell out of me.

I've got good feelings about this guitar and $260 cdn makes it irresistible.

Comment

Help me understand something. You MUST have a floating trem, but you are not a Floyd fan? Therefore your options are limited to guitars with vintage-style trem like the JS22?

For CAD$260, your purchasing options open up if you consider second-hand, Floyd-equipped guitars, particularly Japanese Jacksons and Charvels. A look at https://www.jcfonline.com/forums/16-E-fraid-of-E-bay demonstrates how common sub-$300 used guitars are in Canada and how it's basically only a matter of time before finding one within driving distance from you. Oddly, the JS Series guitars I see nationwide are usually overpriced, while the old Japanese Pro Series from the 2000s are quite common and a much better bang for the buck.

The above paragraph probably goes out the window since you're considering buying the JS22 brand new, of which CAD$260 is the retail price at Canadian music store Long & McQuade.

Comment

Um, yeah. Confused much?

Forget about upgrading a 22, just go the 32 or 2nd hand MIJ models like a DXMG or DK2M, just save a little longer, you were gonna spend more money on the 22 anyway.

The JS series have the speed neck profile, if that means anything to you. It's not Ibanez Wizard thin but still pretty slim.

Comment

Seems his mind was already made up. Probably just looking for someone to tell him it is a good guitar so he can feel good about what he has already decided to do.

Comment

If you need a floating trem and want to actually use it and stay in tune, go with the Floyded version. A vintage strat-type trem is not going to stay in tune well, especially with Jackson's pointy headstock that does not provide straight string pull to the tuners.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yes like this JS32 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8smkwUQQ4k

Comment

The reason I wanted to know if it is a good guitar is mostly about the neck and the play-ability. As far as Floyds go, I had one on my old Ibanez S-76 and as much as I liked that guitar, I hated the Floyd. I built a partcaster with a Wilkinson VS100 2 point trem that floats and stays in tune. That's what i'm looking for in the Jackson 2 point trem.

Comment

Unless you're slightly using the bar, it's really not going to stay in tune with the Jackson pointy headstock.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Shreddybear View Post
                      As far as Floyds go, I had one on my old Ibanez S-76 and as much as I liked that guitar, I hated the Floyd.
                      I tried to look up what "Ibanez S-76" was, but couldn't find it. What model is this? Not all Floyd bridges are created equal. There are ones that are well made and there are ones which are mediocre. "Floyd" has become somewhat of a generic trademark for many types of double-locking tremolo system based off, and often licensed by, Floyd Rose. Ibanez in particular uses several types of double-locking licensed Floyd-style tremolos with various quality on their guitars, but without knowing which one you have, it's difficult to assume anything about why the "Floyd" on your Ibanez was not behaving the way you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Unless you're slightly using the bar, it's really not going to stay in tune with the Jackson pointy headstock.
                        This.

My son has a Guthrie Govan Charvel with one of the reissue Floyds with no locking nut. It is good for a wiggle or a flutter but with any real use it goes out of tune.

We have a number of MIA Jacksons with OFRs and I can play Brad Gillis solos and the tuning is rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                          I tried to look up what "Ibanez S-76" was, but couldn't find it. What model is this? Not all Floyd bridges are created equal. There are ones that are well made and there are ones which are mediocre. "Floyd" has become somewhat of a generic trademark for many types of double-locking tremolo system based off, and often licensed by, Floyd Rose. Ibanez in particular uses several types of double-locking licensed Floyd-style tremolos with various quality on their guitars, but without knowing which one you have, it's difficult to assume anything about why the "Floyd" on your Ibanez was not behaving the way you wanted.
                          This is it here, I traded it a few years ago. It had a licenced Floyd but it actually stayed in tune just fine. I like to do my own set ups and I find them finicky to deal with. My Wilkinson is great. Easy to set up and lots of arm travel with a half step in the up direction. I could get more lift if I routed the body but I don't seem to need more than that when i'm playing.

Comment

That's an Ibanez Lo-TRS tremolo, made by Takeuchi. We have that bridge here in the Jackson world, model number JT580LP. Takeuchi also makes that same bridge for ESP, but I forget what they call theirs.

Agreed, a Floyd-style bridge can be more finicky. There's really no getting around it, other than blocking it. The vast majority of guitars I own (and have owned) were Floyd-equipped so I'm kind of resigned to my fate.

Comment

As for the quality of the JS22, you'll need to pick one up and give it a go to be sure. Some are built better than others is the unfortunate reality regarding imports.
                              Not to in any way discourage you, though. There are far more happy owners than unhappy, and a number of very experienced guys have been pleasantly surprised with the quality of the JS in recent years.

If you want a true whammy experience I'd suggest getting a Floyd instead of the vintage bridge, though light trem use and a better nut with lube and the 22 may give you all you need. Have you tried to find a used JS22?
                              They must be quite cheap by now...$200 or less.

For $300-350 you may find a used Japanese model with a JT580LP Floyd and Duncan or EMG pickups. That will of course depend on your location, patience and having a little luck.
                              96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Working...
                              X