What type of glue for the bone nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of glue for the bone nut?

What kind of glue would you recommend for re-gluing a bone nut in place? It should be able to come off again later without tearing up the wood.

And how much glue is normally used - a few drops or cover the whole surface?

/Henrik
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Re: What type of glue for the bone nut?

I use two drops of wood glue or super glue just to hold it in place.Then I string the D and G strings to hold it in place( not too tight) while it sets up. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I quote
      "If the final fitting meets your approval, glue the nut into place using a couple of light dabs of hide glue or white glue."
      From Dan Erlewines Guitar repair guide, second edition.

Yup that's what it says [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Once again, someone else wrote faster than me. Damnit [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Richard & Thoraby! Guess i could use watered down white glue if i wanted to be extra careful/chicken.

/Henrik
        Henrik

Comment

Actually, Dan Erlewine reccomends using watered down white glue for nuts. You don't need the nut to be permanently fastened in place, you just need something sticky enough to keep it there while you string and unstring the guitar. Then you can just tap it out if you ever need to replace it without tearing out a part of the neck or fingerboard.

Comment

Gotta get me that Erlewine repair guide. Would you guys say that after reading it, a good meticulous handyman (like myself), could successfully do fret jobs (on electric guitars) like leveling, dressing and crowning given the right tools?

I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but hesitated because i need some thorough basic understanding of the theory behind guitar necks and so forth.

Is the book that comprehensive / good?

/Henrik
            Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
              Gotta get me that Erlewine repair guide. Would you guys say that after reading it, a good meticulous handyman (like myself), could successfully do fret jobs (on electric guitars) like leveling, dressing and crowning given the right tools?

I've been wanting to do that for a long time, but hesitated because i need some thorough basic understanding of the theory behind guitar necks and so forth.

Is the book that comprehensive / good?

/Henrik
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The book explains fret dressing and refretting very well. It covers several different methods of fretting. I'd say buy it. It's a excellent book, and I've learnt alot from it!

Comment

It is a very good all round intensive guide for the avg joe layman. You may even be able to check it out at a local library first. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Very good book,easy to understand I learned a lot.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

My wife got me that book for my bday - it's an excellent read!
                    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Just got the book from the library. That is a fine book indeed! I'm going to order it through Amazon i think. Price is good, around £12 / $22.

/Henrik
                      Henrik

Comment

Working...
                      X