Quick direct-mount question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick direct-mount question

My Kiesel ST300 came with direct-mounted pickups. I'm now interested in the Duncan SH-6 for the bridge.

Well, since my pups are already direct-mounted (using the middle screw on each side), can I just drop the SH-6 right in? Or is there something I'm not understanding?

Here's a comparison:

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Yes, it should drop right in no problem. Carvin used to use two mounting screws on each side (and later two on one side) to help stabilize the pickup and prevent it from wobbling/rocking back and forth.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Yes, it should drop right in no problem. Carvin used to use two mounting screws on each side (and later two on one side) to help stabilize the pickup and prevent it from wobbling/rocking back and forth.
      Thanks! That's what I had ASSumed (which sometimes gets me in trouble). Now to decide between the SH-6 vs a JB.

Comment

One other question.... did my USA Soloists come with the SH-4 or the TB-4? All I've ever heard is "JB."

EDIT: Never mind. The Jackson website says it's a TB-4.
        Last edited by PowerTube; 12-15-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

No problem. I think Duncan even makes some trem-spaced pickups that have three holes on each side, also.

I'd probably go Distortion over JB, as the JB is hit or miss to me, but I've never actually used a Distortion in one of my guitars. If you want more output and less high-mid spike, then the Distortion should work quite well. Check out the Duncan forum for some great info.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            One other question.... did my USA Soloists come with the SH-4 or the TB-4? All I've ever heard is "JB."

EDIT: Never mind. The Jackson website says it's a TB-4.
            Yeah, TB-4 is trembucker JB and SH-4 is standard spacing JB.

Comment

No problem. I think Duncan even makes some trem-spaced pickups that have three holes on each side, also.

I'd probably go Distortion over JB, as the JB is hit or miss to me, but I've never actually used a Distortion in one of my guitars. If you want more output and less high-mid spike, then the Distortion should work quite well. Check out the Duncan forum for some great info.
              Thanks. I'm still looking into it. Believe it or not, I prefer the C22B in my DC600's over the Kiesel Lithium in the ST300. The C22B has a certain sweet "sting" to it that the Lithium lacks.

Oh, and one other thing... I've always been a bit leery of running "distortion" pickups. Some of them tend to lack clarity.

Comment

Should I have any concerns about the screw threads not matching?

Comment

The C22 and M22 series were nice pickups. And I don't think there should be an issue with the threads.

Comment

The C22 and M22 series were nice pickups. And I don't think there should be an issue with the threads.
                    Thanks again. TB-4 JB is on the way, $60.00 after applying Amazon Awards points.

Comment

Most direct mount pickups I've seen had the pickup mounting screw hole reamed out so that they can no longer be used in a regular mount. Unless you solder a nut to the hole. FYI.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Most direct mount pickups I've seen had the pickup mounting screw hole reamed out so that they can no longer be used in a regular mount. Unless you solder a nut to the hole. FYI.
                        Thanks. That's not a problem for me because I'll never need to use the new TB-4 in anything but the Carvin.
                        Last edited by PowerTube; 12-15-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Update: Did the swap tonight and I wish I had done it two years ago. The Kiesel Lithium isn't a bad pickup, but I'm just really used to the sound and response of a JB.

Comment

Now I'm thinking about getting a black one for one of the DC600's:

Nothing against the Carvin C22B pickup either, but I'll bet a Duncan would really bring it to life.

Comment

Cool. Glad it worked out for you. And that Carvin there is like looking in the beautiful Pacific Ocean in Hawaii!

Comment

Working...
                              X