No announcement yet.

Wanna learn how to sweep? read here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wanna learn how to sweep? read here...

Dross I disagree. After 3 string sweeps it gets much more difficult. Sure you just add a string for a 4-string sweep, but in most cases you're going to end up rolling your fingers or playing in more awkward positions at that level. Then at 5 and 6 string sweeps you'll realise that it hardly matters how good you are at 3-string sweeps cuz its a whole other challenge. Sure your right hand will be smoother, but your left hand will cause some trouble.. so its like having to get the timing down all over again.

On the whole Pete vs. Dross thing, it was an issue of who's better.. not who has more feeling. So in other words he outshredded you and won. That was the whole point [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Isn't it great when Dross appears on a thread it just gets better... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ December 04, 2002, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: horns666 ]
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

see what a little wise crack leads to?

sorry [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Thanks a lot, OklaStrat!
          [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[ December 04, 2002, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: kunal ]

Comment

The real fun sweeps are the 7-string sweeps, because you have to change hand positions between the A and D strings... total PITA...

[ December 04, 2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Matt Crooks ]
            ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I suck at sweeping

Comment

I've been playing for over 20 years and I've rarely gotten higher than 4-string sweeps. Not that I've tried 5 or 6 string sweeps very often. I'm more in the DiMeola/McLaughlin tradition of rapid alternate picking myself. If I'm feeling daring, I'll alternate-pick rather than sweep the arpeggio--with practice you can get pretty good at it and get better definition throughout the arpeggio, in my opinion. But boy, your alternate picking had better be smooth...

I, too, find the 5 and 6 string sweeps to be ridiculously difficult. In part, I think this is because it is difficult to get good articulation on the low E and A strings--they always seem 'fuzzier' and less distinct even if the picking is well done. They also seem harder to simply cut the note off by lifting off with the fingering hand--I always get a bunch of audio 'residue' when sweeping on those strings as if I'm accidentally pulling off on those strings. Of course, if I worked at it more, I could probably get rid of that...

When I sweep 'up' (away from the floor), I prefer to pick the high E string down normally and then sweep the other strings on the upstroke--it gives the E string note more definition and seems to make the run stronger. But that doesn't work on down-sweeps, I've found--and probably wouldn't work at all at high speeds.

Comment

Dross, why would you put a dig in on him when he is trying to help people out. I don't want to get involved here, but jeez...I could be wrong but I don't remember him doing that to you.

JK

Comment

I first started to sweep about 6 or so months ago, and now I can do some pretty decent 5 and 6 stringers. It's pretty easy to do, but the problem is that the actual motions of sweeping tend to feel a bit awkward when you've only been chording and alt picking previously. Starting with 3 strings and working up from there is a good way to get it. It doesn't even take a whole lot of guitar experience, i've only been playing for around 3 years...all it takes is boring and repetitive practice [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm wondering if less guitar experience makes it easier to make such a huge change in technique.

DRH

Comment

I don't think it would make it easier. However, bad habits are hard to break - so if you've learned wrong, and are trying to re-teach yourself, than I guess in some cases yes - less experience would make it easier. There's many things that I wish I'd learned properly the first time around. Learning to play with my pinky after years of letting my ring finger handle most of the stuff was a real pain!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dross:
                          Pete, excellent post! Keep 'em coming!

Dross, didn't you notice Shawn actually said YOU mopped PETE? I guess you detected the sarcasm mode though.

Humility is a good trait to learn, Dross,
                          because there will ALWAYS be someone out there that can smoke you,no matter how good you get. You make yourself look bad with that kind of post, even if it were true. Other players appreciate you
                          more if you appreciate them, than if you
                          always have a snide comment towards them.
                          This is something I'm working on too, as I have a tendency to be a smartass myself! Just my opinion.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I agree with Lerx about humility-if Randy Rhoads didn't have an ego about his playing, then no one should.

[ December 08, 2002, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Boxcar Willie 84 ]

Comment

Working...
                            X