Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How the heck do you do this? (soundfile)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the heck do you do this? (soundfile)

This file contain two clips; A) The intro lick to "Cautionary Warning" by John Sykes, and B) the start of the solo in "I Wanna Be Somebody".
    How the heck do they do that harmonicky-sounding flurry of notes? I've been experimenting with doing sweep-like motions while fretting natural harmonics, but it just sounds lame. Does anyone have an idea? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Btw, I've checked out various tabs for "I wanna be somebody", but those that have the solo in it have some very differently sounding legato run there instead. Help! [img]/images/graemlins/baby.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.joghans.se/images/EMGsounds/harmonics.mp3

Re: How the heck do you do this? (soundfile)

Trill with your fret hand, as you lightly slide the palm of your picking hand from the bridge towards the neck
    Light pressure, don't mute the strings

Comment

What Wayniac said..scooping harmonics with the pick hands while you trill/pull off with the fret hand.
      DiMarzio Endorsee
      www.dimarzio.com
      Morley Endorsee
      www.morley.com
      "Intelli-Shred" author
      www.myspace.com/intellishred
      NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Check one of Pete's (twisteramps) old videos, he did that in one of his video clip.

Fong

Comment

Aha! I figured there would be some sort of trick to it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Thanks guys, I will try it out tonight! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I thinak Vai called it "Ponies on Ice" or something like that

Comment

On a similar note (ba dum pshh)
              One of Billy Gibbons' harmonic tricks is to hold one note and pinch the same string with your pick hand (thumb) in two places - usually at the front edge of the bridge pickup ring and the rear edge of the neck pickup (humbuckers) or on either side of the middle pickup (Strat). Back and forth, back and forth.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sykes does it like Eddie Van Halen and George Lynch, Steve Vai does it with his tongue.
                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

This is fun - I'm getting this technique to work pretty nicely now. It's a cool effect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                  One of Billy Gibbons' harmonic tricks is to hold one note and pinch the same string with your pick hand (thumb) in two places - usually at the front edge of the bridge pickup ring and the rear edge of the neck pickup (humbuckers) or on either side of the middle pickup (Strat). Back and forth, back and forth.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Yeah, I've used to do that too. =)

One other thing I thought was cool, was to strike an artificial harmonic, bend the note up, then strike a second artificial harmonic on an adjacent string, and then slowly release the bend on the first note. With certain notes it creates an ascending sub-harmonic that sounds like a revving jet-engine. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

Haven't tried that one, but I have been working on hitting two pinch harmonics at once and bending them both (like 5th fret/3rd and 4th string). Sounds a bit like that natural harmonic at the 3rd fret on the same two strings that everyone does whammy pullups with [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Figured it'd come in handy if I was caught without a Floyd [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sunbane :
                      How did you go about posting that short of a clip.
                      I need help figuring out a run in a KD song.
                      I got most of the lead down by ear, but I can't figure out this one part.
                      Finn

Comment

If it helps:
                        It's King Diamond.
                        Aligail- "Black Horsemen"
                        The run at 4:19-4:22
                        How do you describe this pattern?

Comment

I used soundforge to edit the clips. It lets you cut, paste, fade, etc.

Here's the lick you are requesting. I haven't had time to analyze it myself, but hopefully someone with more talent than me can give you some advice. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://web.telia.com/~u65102548/JCFJ...k_Horsemen.mp3

Comment

Thanks Sunbane
                            That's it. Ok shredders, Help me on this one.
                            How do you describe this pattern? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                              X