help with alternate picking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with alternate picking

hi.ive been playing guitar 26 years,probs havent practiced same as next man who been playing 26 years but oh well you only get out what you put in.anyways ive always struggled with alternate picking especially 3 notes per string,so lets say im playing up and down a scale (3 notes per string) ill start with a down stroke,half way through the scale it goes wrong,my right hand just isnt in sync with my left hand.how do i fix this ???.thanks in advance

Here is a tutorial video that has helped me. Might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_UJU1Yb1jM
    Went to Italy once, now I am always flexing at the Olive Garden.

Comment

Originally posted by freetosurf View Post
      Here is a tutorial video that has helped me. Might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_UJU1Yb1jM
      cheers mate ill av a look thanks

Comment

Originally posted by robrg655 View Post

cheers mate ill av a look thanks
        Awesome! Let me know how it goes. All of us have areas we need to improve in! Cheers.
        Went to Italy once, now I am always flexing at the Olive Garden.

Comment

Originally posted by freetosurf View Post

Awesome! Let me know how it goes. All of us have areas we need to improve in! Cheers.
          i watched that video but it doesnt really help what im struggling with,my main problem is going from string to string,2 notes per string like pentatonic scale no probs can fly but 3 notes per string i balls that up

Comment

Check out Troy Grady and pick slanting. You will have to change up your technique and it will take a while. Kind of like taking a step backward and to the side to take two steps forward.

My advice:
            • Shorten your pick stroke. If you have 2mm travel on every pick stroke, reducing it to 1mm of travel effectively doubles your picking speed
            • Don’t dig in too deep on the strings. If your pick gets trapped down between the strings you can’t “escape” without “hopping” (lifting the pick) over the string. This breaks up your picking rhythm and slows you down. Troy Grady and his pick slanting primer should help you to learn understand this better
            • I personally rotate my pick on my fingers so I am glancing the string with the side of the pick right at the tip. This pretty much eliminates the problem of getting trapped between the strings and need to “hop” out from between the strings. Rotating the pick Like this uses simple physics to overcome the problem of getting trapped between the strings and what not. The energy in the pick stroke naturally wants to move the pick over the string due to the glancing nature of the pick stroke and the shape of the pick.
            • Pick lighter. You are not trying to assault the string and being too aggressive can break up your picking rhythm and slows you down
            • Use heavy picks. Picks that flex make you work harder to alternate pick and throw your timing off
            • Relax your mid and body when playing. You can hear tension. Tensing up makes everything you are doing harder: picking, fretting, transitions. It can cause cramping. It slows you down and affects your rhythm.
            Last edited by CaptNasty; 06-03-2020, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Watched the videos. Thanks for the sharing. Still struggling with my hand synchronization as i am still a newbie.

Comment

Working...
              X