Alternate Picking techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate Picking techniques?

Hey guys, I've been working on my alternate picking as of lately and was wondering if you guys have any tips on what I could try out. I usually start by doing chromatic exercises all throughout the neck starting from the nut to the 12th fret and back with a big focus on my picking. I've also checked out Paul Gilbert's intense rock instructional video which has a bunch of useful exercises as well. I use to watch these 80's instructional vids for novelty reasons but now I'm actually looking at them to see what they offer . Soo...got any tips??
    Jacksons haven't failed me so far

Well Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina is the bible for how to build up your skills so you get there into Paul Gilbert intense rock and the like.

Still legato is first as left hand should follow right hand. Then how is single string picking and then cross picking. Then picking 3 note patterns leading with an up stroke (like Paul is actually doing in intense rock I) and beyond.

A must have if you are becoming serious getting older.
    What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

I always dug Gambale's Chop Builder - there are versions on YT with tab and even slowed down available:

w/tab, slowed:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Spf-l0pmw&t=529s

Comment

Hey man thanks for the input I appreciate it, and I'll take a look at Troy's vid
        Jacksons haven't failed me so far

Comment

Speed mechanics is a book/cd or book/cassette depending on the age of it.
          What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

Working...
          X