No announcement yet.

Strange progression, need scale help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange progression, need scale help...

Strange progression, need scale help...

ok, I'm working on a strange progression of C-F#-A#-A.... At least it's unusual to me, normally it seems you can get by with fooling around in a pentatonic box based off of the supposed key(first chord). This isn't seeming to give me a 'springboard' to work off of in this situation, any helpful thoughts?
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

I got nothing. I have been having fun coming up with things to play over each chord, but can't find a common scale. You could see how C Lydian sounds - it has the C, F# & A.

I found this while looking for an answer for you:

http://www.scales-chords.com/chordscalefinder.php

It seems to be a pretty handy site.

How quick are the chords changing? You could try to follow the changes. If any of them are just passing chords (ie. you don't linger on them) you could ignore them when choosing your scale or see if you can find a good note or two to use when that chord comes by. Or just not play over that chord

Are you looking to improvise or write lines? Either way, using chord tones is a good strong way to play over a progression like this
    Last edited by VitaminG; 02-01-2014, 03:08 AM.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

G harmonic minor, A# harmonic minor, G melodic minor, E minor blues, C major blues, D# Major blues, F# Major blues, C# diminished, E diminished. These scales contain all of the notes you've written in the progression. There really are no scales that contain exactly your set of notes in the order you've mentioned but, these scales contain the proper superset of your notes. if you work through them and pick and choose your notes wisely they will work perfectly. There are about 21 others I can name upon request that contain the same superset of notes if you don't find anything you like within what I've provided. Theory can be quite complicated sometimes especially when you come up with a progression like this. It's not that it can't be done or it's impossible it's just a matter of knowing what notes work well with the notes in your chord progression. Good luck and I hope this helps bro.
      Last edited by leftykingv2; 02-01-2014, 04:44 AM.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, G that's a great site(I've bookmarked it).

The progression is pretty fast cycling, leading to my confusion. Normally it's somewhat easy to linger in certain shapes, but this chugs away - so no lingering. Trying to come up with 'musical' sounding phrases as opposed to 'outside' playing has been tough. I guess the best approach is to continue trying to take the 'sweet' notes and emphasize them, or just change the section where I want to put the leads.
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Exactly, that's why I said pick and choose your notes wisely. When it comes to a progression like this. You're not just going to sit down and fly right through it like you do when your playing over a more conventional progression. It can be a major pain in the ass but take it slow at the beginning. Listen and find the notes that feel and sound best for what you're trying to accomplish and things will fall into place. EDIT; also try playing your lead at half time over it first for a while until you have the pattern or notes you want to play.
          Last edited by leftykingv2; 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
          X