inlay confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inlay confusion

Let me preface this by saying, this is only an at-home-practice scenario. I have not had the unit in a live/group situation.

I have a guitar with 'tribal' inlays the entire length of the board. Not just 3 5 7 9 etc.

I find myself not knowing where i am on the neck and hitting all kinds of wrong notes.

Live, i usually don't bury my face in the guitar. But i am afraid to take it live because during practice, i am always screwing up with it.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
      no fret markers/dots on the side?
      GEAR:
      #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
      #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
      #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
      #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
      #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
      AMPS:
      1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
      ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

I don't know what to tell you except use the side dots more.

I have three guitars, two without any inlays whatsoever and another with non-conventional inlays but I can tell where the 12th fret is from the fingerboard. I have no problems playing any of these guitars because I am comfortable with just the side dots. That's what I rely on so the fretboard inlays are purely cosmetic.

Comment

It has side dots. I thought of that. I guess i really need to try it in a performance. I look at my hands too much when i am alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
            I don't know what to tell you except use the side dots more.

I have three guitars, two without any inlays whatsoever and another with non-conventional inlays but I can tell where the 12th fret is from the fingerboard. I have no problems playing any of these guitars because I am comfortable with just the side dots. That's what I rely on so the fretboard inlays are purely cosmetic.
            +1 I also have a guitar with a blank ebony board and while it was a challenge at first I did get used to having to rely on the side dot markers. While standing you pretty much have to rely on the side dots otherwise you'll be staring at your feet during the whole show.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

It has side dots. I thought of that. I guess i really need to try it in a performance. I look at my hands too much when i am alone.
              There's nothing wrong with looking at you're hands when your practicing. It helps you get to know the board better. But that being said you should spend as much time trying not to look at your hands as well. You don't want to be one of those guitar players who are like a statue when your on stage.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

No one has ever compared me with a tree. I'm not that kind me guy.
                I am just not wanting to risk going live with even it even though i probably wouldn't have the issue live because i don't look.

Comment

No one has ever compared me with a tree. I'm not that kind me guy.
                  I am just not wanting to risk going live with even it even though i probably wouldn't have the issue live because i don't look.
                  I didn't see anyone compare you to a tree?

Comment

Tree
                    statue
                    Mannequin

Comment

Use some black stick on dots for live shows.The crowd won't care or even notice.
                      I am perfectly fine with no dots because the side dots are there.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I took it out last night.
                        It works much better. Still a little off. I do glance down from time to time.
                        But nothing like before.

Comment

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith still look at their fingers. EVH does. Vai does. Satch does. Yngwie does. Randy did. Who are you again?
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X