Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Guitar Lessons

Hi people!...

I am trying to learn playing guitar by myself. Because private lessons are so expensive, I decided to learn something via online lessons. Generally an annual price of a website is equivalent to monthly price of private lesson. And private lesson is just four hours a month.

What do you think about web based online guitar lessons? Are they really useful? Anyone of you ever experienced this type of sites? Can you recommend one or a few of them?

Thx!...
    Life can be good with right people.
    Andi Deris

Honestly, I think you could probably learn a lot just from Youtube and tabs you find online. We slightly older players learned from records and casette tapes. We didn't have all this web stuff. Lessons are fine but it really comes down to the time you invest in it. I've tried to teach some younger guys and they get frustrated when they can't play a VH lick in the first week. Then they quit. Just my opinion.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I suppose it depends on how developed your playing and practicing is. If you're starting from scratch then I can imagine that it'll be difficult without some help. I started playing guitar when I was a kid and I had some pretty good teachers for classical guitar. I don't think I would have gotten far without them. Later on in life when it dawned on me that I couldn't be good at everything, I quit playing for many years. When I started again, I only used online stuff like tabs and videos explaining various techniques and Troy Stetina's books. People have asked me if it wasn't difficult to start again and learn new stuff, but I found it quite easy and I think I've progressed way more than I ever did as a kid. I think the reason is that I'm way more systematic and conscious about what I do than when I was a kid or a teenager. I also have to add, though, that all that stuff in the books, the tabs and the videos will only give you the tools. You have to put them to use for it to be any good and that may take a long, long time. Getting in a band is probably the best and most fun way to achieve that.

Comment

To add to what MikeStrat wrote, I remember when I started playing that there were only two ways to get material: hand written notes passed along or tabs from the library. I grew up in a small town which meant they didn't have that much music there, so they had to order everything from elsewhere and you could only borrow it for a short time, so it was pretty useless. And if you didn't know somebody who could show you the technical stuff, there was pretty much no way of learning it, aside from reinventing the wheel. Now, there is so much stuff available online and you can find good videos showing you how to do all the tricks and techniques. It's great. You can also see this from how good a lot of the kids are technically because of this.

Comment

I agree with the above posts, I myself started years ago, took lessons, got bored because I was 11 and wasn't improving fast enough in my mind, and eventually quit. I started-up playing and have not taken one lesson, learned from researching anything and everything I could find online, watching YT videos, and tab books. Basically you'll be paying for lessons when you can find the same info for free and move at a much faster pace as they are going to try and string you along to get more cash out of you. Jeff Waters has some good insight in this interview:

Comment

If you don't have the discipline to learn from books, DVD's or or YT videos Kevin Dillard does online lessons via Skype so its almost like having an instructor there with you. He has a couple books (pasted below)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0739047450/...l_1ju1fxm2yv_p

I haven't taken any lessons or bought his books but I do know him from the forums over the years. He knows his stuff, theory, technique and is a great guy. he goes by the handle Intelli-Shred on the forums I see him on.
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

I teach online via Skype across the US and internationally.. Canada, France, South America, Phillipines..
              hit me via e-mail at: [email protected]
              for the details.. they are one hour sessions and each session is custom done as per the student and what they desire and what they need.. Kevin
              DiMarzio Endorsee
              www.dimarzio.com
              Morley Endorsee
              www.morley.com
              "Intelli-Shred" author
              www.myspace.com/intellishred
              NEW BOOK OUT! "ARPEGGIO MADNESS

Comment

Thanks bros for all your precious advices.

Kevin buddy, I generally mean the sites such as;

http://www.guitartricks.com/
                http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/
                http://www.justinguitar.com/
                http://onlineguitarlessons.co.uk/
                http://www.licklibrary.com/

and this one is also interesting but high price;

http://www.berkleemusic.com/guitar
                Life can be good with right people.
                Andi Deris

Comment

Gotcha.. my stuff is all one-one-private stuff.. understood. \m/
                  DiMarzio Endorsee
                  www.dimarzio.com
                  Morley Endorsee
                  www.morley.com
                  "Intelli-Shred" author

Comment

Originally posted by KabaK View Post
                    Hi people!...

I am trying to learn playing guitar by myself. Because private lessons are so expensive, I decided to learn something via online lessons. Generally an annual price of a website is equivalent to monthly price of private lesson. And private lesson is just four hours a month.

What do you think about web based online guitar lessons? Are they really useful? Anyone of you ever experienced this type of sites? Can you recommend one or a few of them?

Thx!...
                    The internet is the most useful tool for the best price that you can get when it comes to learning on the cheap but, I would also pay for the private lessons before I paid for an online lesson. There's only so much you can learn from videos or tab. Person to person interaction is much better than you'll get at a pay internet site and if it's the same price roughly $15 dollars a half hour once a week that's $60 bucks a month. If you take private instruction and you really practice what the instructor shows you, you will improve without a doubt. The guitar is like anything else in life though in the aspect of what you give is what you get. I teach 57 people a week privately and I teach 1 hour lessons. I only charge $20 dollars an hour so I can be cheaper than what stores charge. I will also go to the students house or let them come to mine, which ever way they're more comfortable. I have a Masters in Jazz and I could charge more but I like to help people out and I really enjoy playing and teaching so it's not about the money for me. In the end do what works for you and yes take advantage of as many free websites as you can but, I would get a private guitar instructor before I paid to look at a website because the teacher if he's a good teacher is going to make sure you are learning what he's teaching. I will not give a student the next lesson if they show up and they haven't practiced the previous lesson I also won't charge them either. But if they waste my time and don't practice, unlike most big chain stores who don't care and will show you how to play power/5 chords for weeks I will drop the student or tell them I don't feel that the money they're spending is worth it because they're wasting my time as well as their time and money.
                    Last edited by leftykingv2; 08-31-2013, 01:04 AM.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

www.metalmethod.com

Check them out. May be a great place to start.

Comment

It depends on the person I guess. We all have to start somewhere. Are your mind independed enough to sit at home and practise?

What are your goals in terms of learning?

When I got my first acustic Jasmine back in 1988 I did not have a clue on what to play or what a interesting enough guitarplaying could/would sound like. The only thing I had as far as influence was my parents record collection which was mostly '60s rock'n'roll Stones, Cream and Hendrix.

But I was not interested at that time to listen to it. I was also living in a very small village so that did not help much.

I did get a few lessons but with no ideas or clue it was only a few melodies which are still stuck so I guess it paid off but I did not really learn anything.

By 9 and 10 grade I got into the metal available at the time and Metallica being the favorite. I could not find anyone to teach me or tried that much. I saved up for my first electric guitar and got 2 tab books. Kill'em'all and Black album.

Since then I have learned on mostly from books. I did get Speed Mechanics and learned only a few things. But whatever sounded great enough I tried to get down and it works for me. My ears developed and I can pick stuff up even without a book. In the process I also developed a sence of what sounds right and belief.

Now if I sit down and play the Speed Mechanics stuff with a metronome I find that I get better ower short period of time.

You got to find what works for you to where you want to go. It could be online youtube sort of thing or whatever. Books etc. are just tools and you only need what works for you. With playing guitar you can make your own rules.
                        What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                          If you don't have the discipline to learn from books, DVD's or or YT videos Kevin Dillard does online lessons via Skype so its almost like having an instructor there with you. He has a couple books (pasted below)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0739047450/...l_1ju1fxm2yv_p

I haven't taken any lessons or bought his books but I do know him from the forums over the years. He knows his stuff, theory, technique and is a great guy. he goes by the handle Intelli-Shred on the forums I see him on.
                          SHAWN! PLEASE forgive me for not officially thanking you for mentioning me here before I even posted in the thread... MUCH appreciated!
                          DiMarzio Endorsee
                          www.dimarzio.com
                          Morley Endorsee
                          www.morley.com
                          "Intelli-Shred" author

Comment

Working...
                          X