No announcement yet.

Help improving speed and accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was practicing technique a lot, it would turn into these 3 hour sessions, and while I was able to keep it up a while, it was too much long term and I ended up wearing myself out. I'll definitely get cracking on the exercises again at some point. At the moment, I'm having too much fun with the band! It took me years to finally find somebody to play with after being out of the game for many years.

Comment

Forgot to report last evening practice... Exercice #25 was still difficult, managed to reach 140 bpm but had to try a lot.

I also added Mozard Ronda Alla Turca in my session. I remember trying it out a long time ago but had never finished it. This time, I'll be keeping it and it covers a lot technique: alternate, inside/outside, long 16th notes sequence.

So how the others are doing?
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I got this book so i could see what it is you guys are talking about
        A lot of this stuff is things i did practice a lot when i was younger, I know the basics here, but this does kind of help to put it into some structure for a productive practice routine.

The book i first bought and pretty much learned from was the metal method tape, anyone remember that? lol. Wonder how many of us bought that Bought mine in what 1985, lol. Heck i've met guys who were ripping guitar players in fairly big bands that said that was what they first learned from.

Anyway, so i had to check out this #25.
        Once i saw it i was like oh ok, i knew i could play that kind of thing fairly fast.
        So without thinking i tried it at 220bpm - and yeah realized 220bpm is ludicrous, lol.
        But i can do it at 200 - which still is ridiculous really - i don't think i'd use that lick much at that tempo. 160 - 180 is still pretty fast and your doing pretty good at that speed.

For those wondering it's the open string gary moore or iron maiden somewhere in time type motif.

Anyway i skipped along till #29 as it's one thing that always gave me trouble. Single string ascending/descending. I have always avoided it. I practiced it till i was blue in the face when i was a kid till i just said "aw fuckit, i hate that lick anyway"
        Will be praaacticing it again,...for as long as i can stand it.

Comment

I'm beginning to think I hate #25. Tuesday and Wednesday night I just couldn't get anywhere with it, not past 120. Last night was looking similar, so I practiced the chromatic scale up and down a single string (can't remember if it's #29, and I don't have the book to hand). I thought: well, playing an open string very fast is one thing, but I want to play scales too, so I may as well put more effort into that one. I think I got up to around 115 or so before deciding to give it a rest. I can tell I'm going to struggle to get much faster here. Then I played through the Yngwie-style licks on a single string, but at a fairly slow pace. I really like the way these sound, so I hope I can get those up to speed (funny how many rock licks don't really work slowly but sound awesome fast). Just before turning in for the night, I had another go at #25 and got up to 160, kind of.
          According to my margin notes, I'd reached 170 previously, whereas the 160 last night felt very flaky - I had to try several times on each string before getting it right (in fact, anything above 120 still feels flaky). I think it's not so much a speed issue for me as a playing in time thing. When I was on top of this, I could listen to the metronome and immediately subdivide the beat into fours and get going - something I couldn't do before. Now I'm back at the place where it takes me a while to synch my right hand up to the beat. I think maybe it's something to do with listening to the guitar rather than the beat, and/or relaxing into the beat. I think too much. Also, I find to play at this sort of speed the pick has to be very lightly touching the strings, which means I sometimes miss notes, or the slightest change in resistance means the notes I'm playing waver in and out of time, so it just doesn't feel solid. Maybe I was just being too easy on myself before and now I'm getting more discerning.
          I'm going to keep at it for the time being, though - maybe try recording myself and playing back over the weekend so I've got a better idea of what it actually sounds like.
          My other signature says something funny

Comment

Give yourself a day or two rest from those exercises. Work on something totally different. Let your muscles relax a bit from that work. Its not unlike working out.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Okay, thanks - I'll give that a try. I was worried that if I stopped, I'd lose whatever magical skill I'd developed that let me do it in the first place. It's like it's too fast to think about, so you have to trust your body to do it. Me and my body don't have a very strong relationship.
              One other thing I noticed: #25 is designed to develop the right hand, so the left is as simple as could be: just fret the first out of every four notes. I noticed that even with it that simple, as I moved down the fretboard towards the headstock, I'd start going out of time. It's almost like the simple act of thinking to move my left hand was enough to put my right hand off.

Comment

I second what Jack Napalm said, leave it alone for a while, work on something else. There is such a thing as practicing something too much. And those chromatic runs are quite difficult to do cleanly, I recall.

I remember that when I was wokring on #25, it was sometimes a struggle to duplicate the performance from the day before, but once I was able to do 150-160 consistently, going from there to 200 was actually pretty smooth as the basic movement and everything was pretty much down at that point.

Comment

Awesome - that's encouraging to know. Where your earlier experiences anything like mine? BenoA, how about you - do you know what in particular you need to work on at the moment? And is the Ronda Alla Turca the bit that the Karate Kid plays at the end of Crossroads? I remember trying to play that back in the 80s. You can imagine how that worked out for me
                  Trem - I never heard of the metal method. Wish I had, cause it might have saved me a lot of trouble now. Then again, even though I had loads of free time back then, I was even lazier .

Comment

And is the Ronda Alla Turca the bit that the Karate Kid plays
                    don't know who this kid is but i do know
                    1)he is playing his axe backwards
                    2)he is way better than me
                    3)he has great taste in guitars

Cliff
                    keep practitsing
                    Last edited by len; 07-15-2011, 07:47 PM.
                    “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                      The book i first bought and pretty much learned from was the metal method tape, anyone remember that? lol. Wonder how many of us bought that Bought mine in what 1985, lol. Heck i've met guys who were ripping guitar players in fairly big bands that said that was what they first learned from.
                      I had something from them... Don't remember if ever I tried to learn something out of it. It was only a bunch of licks, a small booklet and a tape cassette.

Anyway, so i had to check out this #25.
                      Once i saw it i was like oh ok, i knew i could play that kind of thing fairly fast.
                      So without thinking i tried it at 220bpm - and yeah realized 220bpm is ludicrous, lol.
                      But i can do it at 200 - which still is ridiculous really - i don't think i'd use that lick much at that tempo. 160 - 180 is still pretty fast and your doing pretty good at that speed.
                      I reached 147 bpm tonite. You have a good right hand Trem.

Anyway i skipped along till #29 as it's one thing that always gave me trouble. Single string ascending/descending. I have always avoided it. I practiced it till i was blue in the face when i was a kid till i just said "aw fuckit, i hate that lick anyway"
                      Will be praaacticing it again,...for as long as i can stand it.
                      Me too, I'm having a lot of difficulties with these.

Originally posted by javert View Post
                      I remember that when I was wokring on #25, it was sometimes a struggle to duplicate the performance from the day before, but once I was able to do 150-160 consistently, going from there to 200 was actually pretty smooth as the basic movement and everything was pretty much down at that point.
                      Thanks Javert!!! I'll keep practicing... I'm not too far.

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
                      BenoA, how about you - do you know what in particular you need to work on at the moment?
                      This book makes me feel like I should re-learn everything! Stupid thing is that I had the book for like over 20 years but never really spent much time with it. Just a few times here and there... It's a matter of discipline buddy! And I'm a lazy dude!

As said above, I reached 147 BPM quite confortably for #25. Worked also on the mechanics #51-55. And did 3 notes per string scale all over the neck.

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
                      And is the Ronda Alla Turca the bit that the Karate Kid plays at the end of Crossroads?
                      I think Len gave you the answer! It's not from the Crossroad movie, in that it's some thing from Paganini if I recall well.

The kid in that clip is way better than I am (facepalm) but he modifies the melody. The Rondo is a piano tune and I try to stay to the original! I'm going to keep practicing.
                      JB aka BenoA

Comment

Benoa ,you know that kid ?

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                          This book makes me feel like I should re-learn everything! Stupid thing is that I had the book for like over 20 years but never really spent much time with it. Just a few times here and there... It's a matter of discipline buddy! And I'm a lazy dude!
                          Right on! When I started playing again after a long hiatus, I found that I was way more systematic and disciplined than I had ever been as a kid or teenager.

Comment

Originally posted by len View Post
                            Benoa ,you know that kid ?
                            Nope don't know the kid
                            JB aka BenoA

Comment

Here is a well written article on a way to look at and execute your practice in general.
                              It includes some of the things that people have related in this thread already by experience.

http://www.guitarworld.com/cerebral-...-practice-time

Comment

is this guy really playing exersize 25 ?
                                i just downloaded his books via means i would would rather not discuss,i have a trip to columbus georgia for work comin up this week and i am going to join Cliff's club sans his wife's insperational help
                                Last edited by len; 07-17-2011, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X