No announcement yet.

Help improving speed and accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, thanks man. It's a mess, I know. I'm currently around 72, and getting that decent takes focus. I don't anticipate getting faster any time soon.
    My other signature says something funny

Comment

• Asking on how to deal with "frustration"... I hit like a plateau recently and it's pretty tough on motivation.
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

• In the absence of any advice from someone more knowledgeable, I’d suggest switching focus for a while. Either practice a different technique, spend time learning a tune, or write something of your own. Usually works for me. There has to be some reward involved. Some fun.

Comment

• Came back here for the first time in a while and was happy to see this thread is still alive, and you guys too!

Comment

• It's been so long since I've been here, I realized a lot has happened for me in terms of musical progress. I'm proud to report that my first album was released in 2018. In case any of you would like to check it out, you can access it via various streaming services here https://fearsunfolding.lnk.to/FromTheAshes. It's about 10 years ago that I had enough of Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics and started looking for a band!

Comment

• Hey Javert! Great to hear from you again! Congrats on the album release. I'll be sure to check it out.

Comment

• Likewise, Cliff! Good to see that you're still around and playing too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cliff View Post
                  168bpm? That sounds really cool. I'd love to see a video!
                  While I am still building my rig I have tested the recording outputs on my Mesa/Boogie Quad preamp. The Manual says no mic up is reallly that necessary so I got curios and put the cable from output B to input on my Tascam 414 4 track and what I hear through the monitors sounds really good even the drive/distortion.

So what do you want to see videos of?
                  What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

• I don't know. Whatever you feel comfortable playing, I guess.

It's been a slow start for me this year. I was away for a week over Christmas, and haven't really got back into the groove of practicing since returning home. When I do practice, though, I've been keeping the speed way down. And using a metronome .

Comment

• What I am comfortable with?

When that happens I expand to make it interesting for myself. So I go in different directions to keep it fresh.

The last couple of years I have taken Speed Mechanics more serious and included a metronome while doing so and when I learned a bit of Yngwie I realized that I can go in any direction I want guitar wise.

The idea with the Quad was to use the recording outputs to a recording device since I got the option with it.

Now its a 1990 unit and the controls needs to be cleaned and output jacks too. Recording output A does not sound too well but B is fine. I will get some clean contact spray next week.

Meanwhile I need to learn my Zoom 234 drum and bass machine which I have had along with my Tascam 414 since some time in 1990s.

Comming up with stuff like basic progression down on tape is where I am headed. Then I can move on from there. I can jam leads or expand to actual songs even with vocals as I got ability to do it.

Comment

• What about one of the Speed Mechanics picking exercises at 168, or as fast as you can play clean?

Comment

• That is a challenge but I think I am up to it. I have gone trough the legato 1-14 quite much the last few weeks and just tried 168 which due to the total much done on it is not really a problem even if I was on 125 building it back up for my 4th finger not to fly too much. So the picking up to about ex 42 -50 where my total SM knowledge is should not be so hard. Ex 25 is there.

By clean you mean legato?

Comment

• No, I mean without mistakes and with every note clearly articulated. Legato or picking is cool.

Comment

• Ok I know enuff to do a video. I will get some contact clean next week to clean pots and jacks. The jack on RR2772 sounds crackling and my strat does not. I am getting the sounds and a bit used to the Quad finally being used again. It's been waiting far to long. Never did explore the recording outputs. The manual really raves about the quality of tone and it is there.

Comment

• Still the Quad needs to go in for service as it has some dirt issues and recording outputs are questionable. A is not really responsive and B do not do it right either.

So next week its going for service and so videos will have to wait.

Comment

Working...
                                X