No announcement yet.

Help improving speed and accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing that would probably help is practicing your ascending and descending notes, patterns of 2, 3, 4 and higher... run the scale ascending/descending one note at a time, two, then three, etc... then put them together in patterns, include some string and position jumping... doesn't even need to be fast. It's really amazing how you can switch up a stale scale by running it differently, and it's definitely muscle memory.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

• Nice to see this thread is still going and the op is still posting in it. Tits amazing.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

• Hey guys, I've been thinking about this, could we open a new 2016 thread on technique?
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

• Hey Twitch, BenoA! Great to hear from you both! I'm still here, lurking mostly, playing now and again, but nowhere as much as I used to. Diablomozart, Xenophobe - thanks for the advice. Recently I've just been focussing on trying to keep the notes clean, get the vibrato sounding okay, maybe even bend notes in tune once in a while.
          My other signature says something funny

Comment

• and how do we see the um the old videos?
            USA Jackson RR1
            Charvel Model 6
            Jackson Performer-2
            Orange Dark Terror
            EVH 5150 LBX
            Hello Senòr

Comment

• Originally posted by AussieTerry84 View Post
              and how do we see the um the old videos?
              Love it. I'm not the only one who remembers.
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

• Originally posted by Cliff View Post
                Hey Twitch, BenoA! Great to hear from you both! I'm still here, lurking mostly, playing now and again, but nowhere as much as I used to. Diablomozart, Xenophobe - thanks for the advice. Recently I've just been focussing on trying to keep the notes clean, get the vibrato sounding okay, maybe even bend notes in tune once in a while.
                bending, vibrato and note choice are actually a lot more important to finding your unique voice on the instrument than speed...the quickness will come...d.m.
                http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

• Yeah, as I've come to realize. The title of the thread is 'help improving speed and accuracy'. All this advice and work has certainly improved my ear, made me listen more carefully, and therefore play more accurately.

Comment

• your ear and your mind are your most important assets...your mind tells you what you want to play...your ear tells you if you are succeeding or not...lol...d.m.
                    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

• Hey guys! Thread resurrection! I see the last video I posted was three years ago. Since then I've moved back from the USA to England. I haven't practiced playing fast at all for a long time. Since I bought an Axe FX, I've mostly just been going through presets and making cool sounds. Then a few weeks ago I started practicing legato again, only this time slowly. I may be wrong, but I think it's helped with my picking lines too. This is something I recorded over the weekend:

Comment

• Good job Cliff and nice to see you back.
                        JB aka BenoA

Comment

• Right ON Cliff

MOSHON
                          DAVE
                          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

• Thanks guys!

Comment

• Some exercises I've been working through, trying to build some speed and keep the extraneous string noise down (that's a major challenge in itself):

Comment

• Cool to see you are still at it.

I did started a daily regiment around 50 days ago. These days I'm back on a plateau and feel the frustration. It's like I'm re-learning to play. Rock on and keep working on it. I am too!
                                JB aka BenoA

Comment

Working...
                                X